The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

Oaxacaland currently.

Several differences becoming more pronounced

What I take to be the silversides pheno @Upstate?

Two gangly girls

O1 seems to be have hung up her chaps and gone full femme, looking so different.

And this one…looks weird doesn’t it? No sex organs visible yet. Also an electric green color my phone just can’t capture.

Thai/Oax kicking ass.

19 Likes

Therelooking great… Some nice photos… Great when the plants start sexing and stretching (my fav time)

Ye your doing a sterling job…

4 Likes

Thank you :blush: new territory for me.

3 Likes

I meant to say…It adds a bit of adventure to our grows…when your helping to preserve a landrace or heirloom . Gives us a challenge
And when your getting seeds from great guys on here it’s only polite to log some pics of your grow, Always knowing there available for advice.

Ye I’m enjoying the grow as I’m sure you are.

Regards

PJ

8 Likes

@GREANDAL i dont know if thats a Silversides pheno or not, but what a beauty! I love how those bottom leaflets curl like a ghurka knife. Its going to be a good one. The Silversides phenos get resin on the stalks up to about 1/8 inch diameter. Old Silversides herself had very thick" stalk resin". Real capitate trichomes, not headless resin. Gave her a Silver look. I never discriminate about where resin is located. I pack the stems right up and smoke them!
You have a sweet looking male too. Very nice. I hope you put him to some good use😁

7 Likes

Good recipe… @RoryBorealis

We make alcoholic infusions here, I posted this a while ago, I believe it extracts the active principles from the roots…
In addition to the tea of ​​the whole plant, popular use in northeastern Brazil, called diamba or lyamba tea.

I read in “The Great Book of Cannabis” that ship captains, when sailing at night in the Caribbean,
they handed the helm to the sailor who had drunk run with cannabis flowers. Increases night vision to see the coral reefs…

13 Likes

Nice! I’ll bet the alcohol increases the absorption rate.

6 Likes

This looks very interesting @Gugumelo I must try it! Thank you for sharing this.

5 Likes

Thai/Oaxacan male sequestered but not before he got a couple! :joy:

Best boi

14 Likes

Nice! That last photo…Oaxaca type leaves. Nice male.

5 Likes

Thank you :blush: I’m REALLY interested to see what the Thai brings along with the vigor. All this on just water and that pot of soil. Good gravy.

5 Likes

@Upstate ,
here is the Oaxaca from you, super beautiful plant, im hooked

18 Likes

@blendmedmedman . That is a beauty! Thank Cryptic Labs for releasing this treasure. I only helped perpetuate it. On average, when I grow landraces, I expect only around 25% will be “keepers,” something I look forward to Smoking. Only 10% will be potent like a hybrid and worth cloning. This Oaxaca line I had 100% potent plants. A well worked, and well loved landrace line. I toss nothing with this one. Open pollenation. All the work has been done😁
Are you flowering that one yet?

16 Likes

yes i took 2 cuts gave one to my friend and the other ill be getting her ready, just an amazing plant.
i thank you for the seeds and im very thankful for cryptic labs for the hard work

6 Likes

I’m really sad I didn’t save more seeds from brick weed. Germinating a whole mess of those would be a pheno-hunters wet dream. God only knows what all you’d get.

2 Likes

You and me both! Although most of the good brick was smoked closer to the border. We got the leftovers here in NY.

4 Likes

I lived in Texas, and Mexican brick weed was everywhere. It’s more potent than people give it credit for. I made some dry-sieve when I noticed how many trichomes it had. It may not have been the good, pretty dispensary weed, but more than potent enough, especially with a worm (that’s what I called it) of hash rolled into a joint.
A friend of mine in California gets brick weed for about $100 a pound (if I recall correctly) and makes ice water hash all the time.

6 Likes

Are there any landraces or heirlooms that are extremely rare, that you’d like to see more of? Any one of them would be just as good a place to start as any other this spring.
I have hundreds of Northern Lights Auto seeds (funny story how I got those), so of course I’ll be cultivating those, but I’d love to have a landrace museum.

3 Likes

Yes. Caribbean, South, Central, and North American ( Mexican)Indonesia/Oceania.
Nearly everything available today is from other regions. Its currently easiest to find Asian, Middle Eastern and African landrace varieties, with exceptions.( There are still regions that are not currently represented)
With the way genetics got around in the 60’s and 70’s, i believe some of the purest landrace varieties of long ago, now extinct in their original homes, will be found in another region.
For example, genetics found in Senegal today were allegedly brought there from Mexico in the 50’s.

4 Likes

I lived on the I-35 corridor near the Oklahoma/Texas border in the 70’s and 80’s. Mexibrick was all there was at my economic level then but sometimes it was stout. On rare occasions the real deal wiped us all out. :joy:

4 Likes