The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

@Old-Ron Somewhere around 3-4 weeks, seeds got dropped into water 6/19, seedlings were a few inches tall in shot glass solo cups by 6/24, transplanted into regular solo cups 6/28 and the photo I posted was from Friday

5 Likes

Cool. I was wondering. Have a couple growing for the Freakers and wanted to get an idea of how the two I am growing are doing.

Put them in they came up in the pucks on 6/14. Moved them to solo cups about a week later. Moved them to 1 gallon pots last Sunday.

This is number 1

This is number 2

14 Likes

Keep us updated on those Colombians. Looks like they are happy and healthy. Iā€™ve never gotten the opportunity to smoke Columbian, but grew up hearing of the stories. I hope someday to be able to try it.

6 Likes

I plan on keeping everything updated in my Happy Place thread, theyā€™re untouched land races so if theyā€™re actually females theyā€™re gonna need 4-6 months to flower, itā€™s gonna be my project over the winter once my photoperiod run is done after my first hydroponics run is done with these auto flowersā€¦

Got way too much going on as usual :sweat_smile: gonna be tons of fun though, gonna make some super sweet shit to share with the community like licensed cut only ice cream cake #5 (allegedly I have this :wink:, Iā€™m not licensed) x black candy land/cookies, confidential purps x black candy land/cookies, nightmare runtz x black candy land/cookies, maybe green Rose too if thereā€™s enough.

4 Likes

Apologies if it feels like Iā€™m blowing up your guysā€™ thread but what modern stuff would you try and cross back with something like CG or one of these other land races to try and best keep the cannabinoid/terp profiles of old while increasing yield to denser larger buds and more than likely lowering flowering time but hopefully not too much?

I like the idea of all of the unbred stuff, we lost probably 80-90% of the things that actually get us high over the years of people crossbreeding to commericalize for THC content.

I feel like we can bridge that gap but have to do it ourselves, anyone else working on stuff like that?

3 Likes

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

There is a group of us on here trying to preserve and spread the landraces to everyone we can

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard the expression no need to reinvent the wheel, but feel that there is Magic to be found from starting from scratch, using only landraces to make hybrids. Iā€™m not familiar with any of the modern stuff as Iā€™ve only grown my own for the last 30 years, and the last five years I have dug deep into landraces. I tried some of the modern stuff, but never grown any of it. If I were to be using something like Colombian cross to a modern hybrid I would look for something with no Colombian in it. Good luck with that one LOL. It was used extensively in the past and there isnā€™t much that doesnā€™t contain at least some Colombian genetics in the lineage. But for sure I wouldnā€™t be letting that 1970 Columbian disappear. Making more seeds of that one would be a priority for me.

10 Likes

Itā€™s not lost, just extremely hard to find. People who hold these genetics keep a tight grip. Iā€™m of the philosophy that there is safety in numbers. I feel the best way to ensure that I get to see these landraces stick around and eventually smoke them is to share them with as many enthusiastic people as possible.

9 Likes

So a little background about where I get my landraces, by chance I found a guy in a Michigan grow group cause Iā€™m from Michigan, his father was a breeder his whole life and collected landraces from the source. He died from cancer a few years back and his son is that much more passionate about his fatherā€™s work because of it, heā€™s got so many cultivars from so many geographic locations I still find it mind blowing, never seen such an extensive collection.

So all of his time goes to doing preservation runs, each of the 4 landraces I have going right now all came from him. I sent 3 of them, excluding the Colombian, to @Purple-N-Hairy cause heā€™d offered to do a preservation run for them all, so tentatively one day down the road youā€™ll all have some one day if you want them. I still have a handful of my 1970 CG left and 100% plan on open pollinating to get stock for myself and OG.

@Guitarzan

Looks like one I need to bookmark and get involved in :grin: I plan on buying anything my guy lets me, so I can share it with the world. Figure if I work as hard as I can making and spreading as much as possible I can single handedly change a small portion of the worlds genetic availability

15 Likes

Excellent! @Old-Ron is growing some old Colombian gold right now, but had issues with germination. If you by chance get any pollen we would be happy to send you seeds back if you could give some for the reproduction. The Freakerā€™s have quite the extensive collection of landrace stock as well. If you have anything you would like to list with our group for reproduction purposes, we could send you seeds after they are run. Hereā€™s a couple screenshots of what we have listed at the moment. Thereā€™s a lot more I have to add when I get the time

6 Likes

@Upstate Alright well you guys do have my buddy beat :joy: I saw him list maybe 50 but probably had a couple more, nothing like that though thatā€™s wild!

Truthfully Iā€™d be happy so send what I have to someone more experienced and with the time to actually do it, neither of which I have at the moment. I value having these genetics available to me but Iā€™d value much more the opportunity to have these genetics available for EVERYONE. Plus theres the added bonus of gaining a larger stock in the end than I started with, without having to do the heavy lifting.

Truthfully I feel like I should thank you for the offer and opportunity for you to preserve them because of that last bit, you guys are doing what I can only dream of at the moment, so itā€™s really just a blessing on my end.

Currently landrace wise I could send 1970 Colombian gold, 2017 Highland Nepalese, 1973 Durban, wild Thailand (from world of seeds, idk if theyā€™re up to your standards or not), and south African Kwazulu (from world of seeds as well)

Did you guys get any of the Mexican Death Sativa from the run a member did?

6 Likes

73 durban. Hmm

You need someone to grow them, Iā€™d be interested.

5 Likes

I did get some of the Mexican Death Sativa. Did you need some? I have some to share.

5 Likes

Yeah, if I had known weā€™d be dealing with a major hiccup with that MeatBreath seed run, I wouldā€™ve already dropped the 1973 Durban. Thatā€™s the one Iā€™m most interested in for personal reasons.

In any case - your patience will be rewarded. Good things - and lots of seeds - come to those who wait.

9 Likes

I am running the 1970ā€™ Columbian Gold right now. 8 of the seeds either didnā€™t pop or died off quickly. The 2 survivors are what I posted. We are hoping for a male and female right now, I think we have a chance by their growth pattern.

6 Likes

I have a 6 left Iā€™d be happy to let you preserve them, these are the red phenotype and I have a green phenotype coming whenever my buddy gets the time, I donā€™t rush him. Dm me if youā€™re serious about it

I got some too just wanted to make sure there was some in the collection

No worries at all buddy, I canā€™t promise patience cause Iā€™m still learning that at 30 years old :joy: but Iā€™ve got 100% faith in you and am in no rush, just happy I could do a small part in spreading old genetics around :heart: more thankful I found someone as kind as you to do the leg work for me, Iā€™ll owe you 3 favors :grin:

Iā€™ll keep ya posted on the chance that mine is a male, I keep my veg tent on the far side of my grow room but had the side vents open and think they were getting light in the off hours from the autos I have running, so I closed up the side vents and opened others so I know for a fact itā€™s dark enough in there for em to flipā€¦ Mightā€™ve added a couple weeks to the sexing time but it is what it is, gonna keep it either way but if itā€™s a male I can harvest the pollen, I didnā€™t think to do 2 of each as I was just testing germination rates before sending to purple n hairy.

4 Likes

Sounds great. I for one appreciate your generosity and efforts to get them perserved and out to everyone. Hopefully around Christmas we have joy to spread around in Columbian seeds.

7 Likes

I require no thanks whatsoever this is like being able to live a dream Iā€™ve always had to me

6 Likes

@testofoath are there any SE Asians in the collection (besisdes Worldofseeds) ?

Those are my favored Region, and passionated about it

5 Likes