The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 1)

They do, but it looks feral/undomesticated. Could have that crazy jungle weed high though…

5 Likes

lousy picture of old silversides, round 2.
The buds are already nearing the size of the last Harvest LOL. I can already tell it’s going to yield much better than it did indoors with lots of seeds. She’s a smelly one! It has a naturally upright growth habit, but I bent the branches indoors because of hieght concerns. I do like the octopus look, but this will be easier to fit through the door LOL

13 Likes

Is that a clone? I see it’s already in flower. Some of my stuff is in mini flower mode.

3 Likes

@Trowertripper Im having another Cambodian that i wanna grow in middle Europe. I wanna try stemsplitting to make them Flower way faster cause theyre 17 Weekers. Crazy idea, but ill try

4 Likes

Yes, this is a clone of my favorite from the winter. It’s been flowering now for around a month I think. I give it 12 hours of Darkness each day. Really wanted to see it growing under the sun. It looks a lot sturdier. Much thicker branches

4 Likes

I have some cambodian\golden tiger fems
I will run them eventually

2 Likes

Question, so I may have 3-4 males out of the 4 Red Hair I popped. If I end up with only one female, could I clone her and pollinate each clone with a different male to maintain variety?

5 Likes

yeah i would say so, you will have to take a few clones, by the time they will be ready you should have the males gone and the pollen collected, i would say do one female at a time, cover the clone/plant with a bag overnight/lights out. this way the pollen will settle and not affect the others, keep doing that until all are pollenated up. mark each and see how things come together, its a big project though so take your time

5 Likes

oaxacan plants have been put into 5 gallon containers. We’ll see if the extra space allows for a bigger yield. Hopefully I don’t regret the decision. Old silversides likes to stretch!
@District_Flora with small numbers of plants I do something similar. You wouldn’t want to take a chance on using seeds from the same parents in a following generation, so pollinating separately with each male is desirable so you make sure your Growing Seeds from each of the resulting offspring. You don’t necessarily need to use clones to do this. You can pollinate separate branches of the same plant and label each one with a tag. Of course if you took clones you would be more sure of the pollen donor than if you would be doing all the pollinating on one plant.

23 Likes

@Upstate good looking plants! I’ve been looking for Oaxacan for a while now, have a group of buddies from there on work visas at my landscaping company and one who smokes said he’d try and get me some when he comes back next spring.

Anyways I’d pay or trade whatever I have for some Oaxacan, means a lot to me to get my hands on some and is one of the few on my “must have bucket list” kind of strains

THANK YOU! For the time and energy in the work you’re doing

Hell that goes for all of this preservation effort!

10 Likes

but why are those already flowering? i dont get it.

2 Likes

I’ve been putting them in a dark room every night since mid-june. It’s a lot of work, but it’s worth it for this smoke. Indoors is fine but my favorite is outdoor weed. I can’t wait to see the difference!

13 Likes

that is a lot of work wow. you are a very dedicated one for sure, i have never grown out doors, one day i will

4 Likes

@blendmedmedman thank you for your input, that’s what I was thinking I’d do initially. Spot on.

@Upstate so I can use multiple males to pollinate one plant as long as it’s from the same strain?? I did not know that, thought it was one male or nothing.

May be a good time to slide this link in, I’m waiting to hear back from them because you can only get quotes before straight up buying shit but this is a pollen bag for cannabis plants. So you can pollinate and cultivate in one spot, just cover them and use a syringe to inject pollen into bag when you’re ready:

8 Likes

how big are your growing them??
ive covered just the branches before using paper bags, in a pinch i have used wax paper, then taped up so it covered the branch, the plant sometimes gets a few seed here and there but you get seed and bud, not much maybe a few hundred, hard to say, next ive dusted and entire plant, coved with a trash bag and kept separate from the known females. put back in garden, a few seed here and there, 1or 2.
open pollen you wont need a fancy tent, trash bags, paper bags, ect.
label all plants, you have plenty of time.
i do this, i find my males and flower them right away in a separate grow tent, but you can do this in a window cell, males do not need much light to live, you collect your pollen, dry it out in a open container for a few days, cook white flour in the over, 250 degrees, Celsius 121.111 let flour dry, mix with your dry pollen the flour protects the pollen so it stores better. keeping moisture away.
next you will store this mix in air tight container, put in freezer, pollen when stored right is good up to a year but i have heard a few people getting some seed, not much from 2 year old pollen, the plant knows the difference and just wants the pollen.
the story is now here, best time to dust your plants, between 3-4 weeks. i have dusted at 2 1/2 weeks and i got seed, you want to got a bit past harvest, pluck a few seed and test them to make sure the seed is ready, you will know.
then cure your seed. good luck @District_Flora those bags do look nice im sure they will work too, sorry i ranted

4 Likes

Here is the female Zacateca in the tent after a rough transplant out of a rootbound container. I think I will need all the space I can get in my 2x4 so I think I will cut the males down to a branch or two when I go to flower.

The one I have been light depriving outside has reached about the 5 ft mark and is thriving. It is starting to transition to flower. I am worried about the clones I took… they don’t look great.

13 Likes

The congo is rooted and ready to go though.

12 Likes

Those pollination bags are pretty cool. Good link.
The oaxacan seem like they’ve already grown half a foot in 2 days. Going from 2 gallon into 5 gallon containers may have been a mistake LOL. Having problems fitting them through the door already. We had a thunderstorm roll through and the plants don’t have the same upright growth pattern they used to have. They seem to have sensed the extra space and are taking advantage. The last time I grew these I know I was pretty tough on them. I’m certain I lost at least 50% of the resin glands. In part it was because they were so wide and I couldn’t fit them through doorways without rubbing parts of the plant on the frame. The stems are so sticky, when they touch each other they just stay there and you have to pry them apart, tearing the resin away as you do so. I’m trying this time to let the plants keep the upright growth pattern to keep them narrower.

11 Likes

My outdoor Zacateca is showing signs of flowering after light dep.

20 Likes

Looking good! Do you have a climate where this will surely finish? @TopicalWave

3 Likes