The Central American landrace and heirloom thread (Part 2)

In Colorado, we have a fertilizer called richlawn organic 100. It’s just dried poultry manure and is 5-3-2. A 40lb bag is less than $12. :+1: add a potassium source and with our calcerous soil, you’re pretty much done.

We also compost food waste, but that produces a surprisingly little amount over a year. Also mice love to nest in the bin :man_facepalming:

9 Likes

It doesn’t list a weight…1 pound?

1 Like

At that price, you just can’t beat it! I think I pay that much for my little five pound bag. Sure it would be a fortune to mail, But I’ll look for a local source now that I know it can be found that cheaply
Looks like a good calcium concentration too

1 Like

It’s sold as a lawn fertilizer, but on the label they also mention safe for gardening, etc. I’d definitely check the big bags around stores. It’s so cheap and nearly complete, it’s my go to for my outdoor gardens now.

7 Likes

Oh I don’t know, you would have to message the seller. I found some on Ebay too but it was pretty expensive. You don’t need much though! I think I got my first bag through Boogie Brew, but they seem to be out of stock…

5 Likes

There is a description link that when you click it shows 5lb bag. Interesting info about it too, I’d never heard of this stuff!

This fungal dominant product works to improve the health of your plants by building a resilient soil system through the hard work of two specific species of millipedes -Trigoniulus corallinus, (Florida Rusty) and Anadenobolus monilicornis, (Jamaican Bumblebee). These millipede species are from Indo-Malayan tropical climates and have migrated through the Caribbean to the southern tip of Florida where they have become naturalized to the only subtropical region in the United States.

As macro-arthropods, millipedes are detritivores that eat broken down plant and tree matter on the surface of the tropical forest floor. In most forest systems, arthropods, (the whole group), are responsible for up to 80% of the breakdown of plant material on the forest floor. They do not target specifically the bacteria and fungi, (as do their cousins the Micro-arthropods), but rather consume bacteria and fungus by eating the detritus inoculated with them. Often times the millipedes are found above ground, devouring fungi fruiting bodies, (mushrooms), starting on the soft undersides of the mushrooms where the spores are released and then crawling back underground where they release them closer to the rhizosphere ? resulting in better conditions for better germination.

Millipede castings are extremely high in active fungi as well as spores and propagules. As seen in the testing some 45:1 fungi to bacteria: Packed with free-nitrogen fixers, cellulose and phosphorus solubilizers, the castings are consistent with a properly fungal-dominant product. Fungi are known for phosphorus breakdown with organic acids: Mycorrhizae fungi possess the ability to transport and deliver nutrients (phosphorus) directly into roots for uptake by the plant. The helper bacteria are also present to assist in achieving the desired elements for superior growth, flowering, and fruiting. Bacteria are already dominant in most soil and can be increased easily but having the right ones do the right job is especially valuable.

Millipede castings is produced using millipedes, a specific group of hardwood mulch, water and other ingredients in a static pile system to create the baseline product. The numbers of fungi and bacteria can be increased by incorporating inputs of organic microbe/fungi foods, elements along with minerals which are consumed by the millipedes and can alter both microbial plus fungal populations to create the balance required for optimal growth of specific plant species. Another option is to combine fungal dominance of millipede castings with earthworm castings? bacterial dominance to achieve a particular balance and glean all the benefits that come through an earthworm?s diet.

10 Likes

@Tejas …Punta Cometa , we got the two females we wanted…good result.

The one that was ten days behind has turned into the big sister,I carefully transplanted it into a bigger pot …when I saw the stretch LOL

They have both had a manicure…and the one who was previously big sister is showing some nice healthy bud.

:clap:

P J

18 Likes

Wow, you got the stretchy one. Much different from my runt plant this past winter. Sadly she molded on me in the jar so I didn’t get to sample…

8 Likes

I been using these Grove bags since last year…cured a few different strains…They definitely work…no burping needed.

Ps…did you use any nutes on your grow especially later in flower…or are they ok with root feeds and some mollases…that’s what I usually do.

P aj

P J

10 Likes

How do you find the cure in the Grove bags?
Comparable to jars?

Cheers
G

9 Likes

Oh yes…I give them the thumbs,no need for sterilization of jars and burping.

There re-usable…I put a silica gel bag in as well.

Easier to store I just put mine in a cupboard drawer.
I see a few seedbanks like Mephisto selling them now.

P J

7 Likes

There is a grower who uses rolly pollies to compost instead of worms can’t think of who off hand.

3 Likes

After 2 months its still right where I left it. (Yes I changed RH meters just to be sure)
Late Oct harvest, 2022, this was also the batch that was Frozen… and Thawed

ps give or take 5% with these suckerz (tiny RH% meters)

16 Likes

There is a Topic on them on Overgrow…

P J

6 Likes

A very extensive topic!

3 Likes

I am still experimenting with different grow styles. This will be a new thing for me. The soil I use already has a decent nutrient profile out of the bag, so I am just looking to add a slow release compost as a top dressing.

I have been moving away from cannabis grow gurus and really just learning about farming.

10 Likes

Ye with plenty of different opinions.

I keep away from those threads LOL

P J

4 Likes

Very nice! Bushy plants. How many toppings?

1 Like

Good call.

4 Likes

4rth node…then 4th again on the side growth …probably a few wee nips here and there as they grow.

Thanks

P J

2 Likes