The LED hack shack and other tall tales

I am just gonna rely on old data to begin with, if there is a noticable difference I might take a controll group.
Used to make 1200 clones every month, so I am confident that if they react differently I will be able to tell.

Slower, faster or different roots, I should be able to hold that up against the prev. clones.
I have made from the same moms, under the same conditions but under 18/6 light.

@Baudelaire Thanks for your input, nice to know and as I suspected. Still very currius about the change in their metabolism, and the fact the roots on the first veg test fuel did. Looked so very different, compared to it’s sisters in 18/6.

2 Likes

Have been away for a few days, so the everything have been left alone.
Didn’t air out the clones!!

Now they are getting some fresh air.

A single clone, that had a burnt top from growing into the LED’s. Where starting to turn bad, the damaged leafs had turned black and slimy. No mold, but that was maybe a day away.
Removed the slimy leaf matter, but left the clone in there with the rest of the them.

Back under the lights again, I have raised the dome to create a little airflow in the cloner.

Day 7 on the Tacocat and Sausage clones, under the new 230W dual strip light.
Don’t know if it was just time, or the fact I moved the light closer to the plants.
But they have started to grow just fine!

5 Likes

Day 8

6 Likes

Upgrade for my exhaust system, adding a 20W Ozone UV C bulp, inside my exhaust channel.

Be aware these bulps will damage your eyes, do not run them open in your room or elsewhere.
Ozone is not healthy to breath in either, will at first give a sore throat and red/itchy eyes.

Never used Ozone for odour neutralisation, but read a lot about O3 generators years ago. Then a mate told me he just run 1x 20W ozone bulp for each 1K HPS light, to see if it won’t improve on this Eco carbon scrubber. That I am not super happy about or impressed by, as I recall my scrubbers in the past where more effective. Thinking these eco scrubbers are of a lesser quality then a industrial brand, sold for labretory use.

Cleaned the flower room out

Replaced the old bulps I have been using, with some Sylvania bulps also recommended by my mate. In the past I have always been running Phillips Son-T, but I was able to buy them bulp at wholesale price. The growshop price got me surpriced and I read they don’t do well with electronic ballasts, that might be old problems that have been fixed.

But gonna give these a chance, that where fairly cheaper then the Phillps bulp. Sylvania is Osrams cheap line, I have seen them on greenhouse gardening expo’s in Holland 10 years ago.

Longer heat-up time then the old GIB shit bulps I just trashed, but the Sylvania bulp is also a fair bit longer.
This will be interresting, new 600W bulps for the haze grow!

Putin and I are ready for take-off!

10 Likes

Flushing the hydroton, with pure tap water.
Will empty the res out tomorrow, buffer the hydroton and around this time tomorrow.
The room will have turned green once more, the transplanted clones are ready for some 12/12 action!

5 Likes

Take off!

8 Likes

Day 1

pH 5.78
Ec 1.4

Drip running 24/7

4 Likes

Short update on the 6666 clones, it’s day 11 and so far no roots.
Two clones have died, one just limped out and died a few days ago.
2nd one was getting moldy, and I removed it today before it spreads to the rest.

Removed the dome for a few hours, airing them out well and drying the canopy a little. Now I have raised the dome a bit more, to increase the airflow a bit more.

Maybe the 14.5 watt light in the whole clone area, is a little too little. When they are only getting 2x6 hours light a day, from the 4,8 Watts directly above the clones.

Day 2 Flower

pH 5.84
Ec 1.4

Have added a 500 Watt heater under the table, running on a time at night and building thermostat.
Hoping this will keep the rootzone nice and warm, during the winter and keep the room temp from dropping too much at night.

Also changed the drip timer, so this round they won’t be fed 24/7. New feedcycle is 15 min on every 4 hours during lights on. Ordered a new bigger pump, as 1 of the cheap 10$ Ebay pumps I got are starting to get noizy. It’s all right, they have been running all right for the two first grows. Budget now allows for buying better equipment, so have ordered a 50$ replacement pump with 2 years warranty.
Should get here next week, but I got a back-up pump if the ebay pump craps out.

6 Likes

Day 13 for the 6666 clones, first roots have been spotted!

Removed the felt mat, and back into the clone cabinet they went.

Day 4 Flower
Tacocat & Sausage Team
The pH had drifted down to 5.7 and the Ec had moved up to 1.5.

Added some “light” pH adjusted water, around 6.2ish. Raising the pH slightly and dropping the Ec a little as well.

pH 5.95
Ec. 1.4

8 Likes

Flower day 5

pH had dropped a little, down to 5.84 and Ec was steady at 1.4
Filled the res to the top, with pH adjusted water taking down the Ec.
The pH might take a move as well, didn’t let the water buffer.
Just added pH down, in the aprox ratio, checked and used it.
Normaly I like to let it buffer over night, but it was mixed in with the 200 Liter already in the res.

BLB female #1 (Broad Leaf Black - if you wanna look it up)

Aerial survey of the flower room

Na Zdorovie comrade!

pH 5.81
Ec 1.3

9 Likes

Omg… Jungle incoming !! Alert ! Alert !
:popcorn: :beer:

2 Likes

First week in 12/12

pH 5.68
Ec 1.3

The BLB clones are starting to show pistils

6 Likes

Flower day 8

I original started them up on Lucas formula + mg, but they haven’t really been feeding correct.
The pH have keps dropping, indicating the nutrient mix might be the cause.

So I have added grow formular to the mix, after topping the res with tap water,
Hoping this might correct the nutrient uptake, and get them to look a bit more healthy.

pH 5.9
Ec 1.5

6 Likes

On the rare occasions I have ran hydro, I liked to keep veg nutrients through stretch before switching.

2 Likes

Used to do the same, but I have been running a different veg nute.
So gave lucas formular a run, this and last run.

Getting the feel back

2 Likes

Live and learn, that’s the fun of the hobby for me.
:+1::seedling:

3 Likes

The batch of GHE Grow nutes I got, had a production flaw and had crystalized.
So I was missing that part, hence the choice of lucas formula from start of flower.

Now I will try and use a little of it, then see how they handle it. Might screw them up even more LOL

4 Likes

2nd Gen DIY China LED light on a Mean Well HLG-240H-C1400B

A bit over driven, but I read then MW drivers can handle it.
Im waiting for dimmers, and I will install a turn nob to dial the lights down to 250 Watts.

7 Likes

Flower day 9 - Over all, they got a better color today.

pH 5.9
Ec 1.5

5 Likes

Flower day 10

BLB

pH 5.86
Ec 1.5

6 Likes