To flush or not to flush?

Thanks for the info. Definitely makes me want to look more into it. I usually wait until first sign of Amber and flush for 10 days.

1 Like

My flush started two days ago with 30mL Sugar Daddy and CalMag 2.5mL per gallon, every plant gets like one and a half quarts. Will be ready in about 13-15 days i think. Doing the flush every other day and will continue until 30% of trichomes have gone 100% amber… Even if there are new trichomes coming out at the moment.

Might do the 48 hours of darkness right before cutting! Dunno.

1 Like

Gonna back up @MicroDoser here @Scissor-Hanz guess you didn’t actually read like a good 80% of the article you posted.

Specifically in relation to radiation claims of organic or in organic and how in radiations is present everywhere, and how said initial study was flawed and mis-accurately represented values in almost an apple vs orange type way.

If i could cut and paste from the site i would, but it would also be a wall of text.

3 Likes

No problem, but maybe you can explain to me ANY benefit of using nutrient solution right up until harvest, since he has avoided the question for months?

Even if the final product is similar(it’s not, imo), in the least you are pouring cash down the drain.

…and you are correct, I was reading about hydro vs organic and I hadn’t finished 1/4 of the article when I came across the nutrient radioactivity chart and thought it might be worthy of discussion. MY APOLOGIES.

2 Likes

I believe the benefits they’re suggesting is denser, more nutrient rich final product.

1 Like

Naturally or at least in my observation our plants when nearing the end of their life cycles shut down there uptake anyways, as they start to rely on previously stored nutrients as its easier for them to utilize stored components than uptaking new.

So will i say feeding heavy right till the end is a benefit, no because the plant doesn’t need it, but at the same time cutting all feed off early and forcing plants to go to those stores is also not a benefit as your cutting things short “unless that is your desire”. The plant will still uptake what it needs, its just in the final stages it severely reduced.

So the counter argument to me is neither feeding heavy beneficial or flushing actually ideal, and the plant tapers off anyways. We match what the plant wants unless we are trying to force something.

Btw my comment was in relation to radioactive elements, which btw Carbon is radioacitve if we’re gonna generalize…

6 Likes

Is there a way to deduct that we all irradiate somehow, being carbon life forms!?

1 Like

So you are using you own personal anecdotal evidence and hypothesis, same as me.

There is quite a difference in halflife between carbon and polonium radioactivity. As I’m sure you know.

1 Like

So does anyone have a Geiger meter? :grin:

6 Likes

As an organic farmer, I see this over and over again. My plants start to fade and begin senescence even if there are still nutrients available in the soil. After harvest, I plant right in and the next round is happily fed by that same soil.

8 Likes

Hypothetical:

Let’s say you are a hydro farmer, experimenting with the timing of switching from grow to bloom formula, and this time you overdid it. Your leaves are abnormally dark with minor tip burn in the mid-late stages of flower. How do you correct it to avoid creating a low-grade final product?

…You flush it, with water or low nutes, and usually it works. So clearly there is an effect from this process.

We have a philosophical difference that will be argued till the end of time. I didn’t call anyone’s method wrong. Just sharing my own.

If my plan was to immediately replant into used media and grow a little bit of personal for extraction-only, my method would be different and likely similar to mrsparlke. Just like if you guys had a gaggle of critics judging ever spliff you grew, your priorities would be producing the ultimate clean joint-smoke.

I’m not saying it’s strong, but this guy makes as good of an argument as anyone here has:

1 Like

I have always flushed my plants but only for about a week because i try to match their feed demand which always drops as the buds swell and enter their final phase before harvest. This means there is less nutrients to flush and they can naturally loose some chlorophyll. It might have some health benefits but it makes your buds taste crap eh :grin:

If anyone has an old microwave oven they don’t much care for you can test your weed before you crop it. If you think you have been heavy with the nutes, snip off a small bud and nuke it at defrost for roughly about 7 mins. As it becomes crisp it will ignite and flare up like burning phosphorus and you can sometimes even get a taste of something i usually associate with burnt zinc (galvanized steel being cut). I really don’t like to smoke bud in this condition and only a decent flush followed by a cure will sort it.

1 Like

One more observation then i’ll piss off, i promise :laughing:
When i remove some shade leaves, which i sometimes do to increase air circulation and let more light in, i leave a short stalk behind to shrivel up and fall off. I quite often see white salt deposits on the leaves below caused by droplets falling from those cut stalks. These salts are the chemical nutrients i have been feeding the plants. If i don’t reduce the feed or even flush, those salts are trapped inside the inner bud stems and tissue until they are burned, inhaled, then coughed back up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

According to research, even if you do flush the tissue is still full of nutrients. See the graph I posted above.

And I am not.

I am using results from scientific research (which you linked to, thanks for that) which unfortunately contradict your anecdotal evidence. This image seems appropriate.

1 Like

This is where you are wrong, and this can be proven using an image from your own link. You assert that stuff ‘flushes out’ and it simply does not, so any pollinium is still there in flushed or unflushed cannabis. When you restrict nutrients at the end of the flowering cycle you do not remove anything from the tissue, so you are smoking just as much polonium as the rest of us. That you think you can reverse the action of roots shows just how little you know about roots.

Can you read a graph?

Point out to me the lowered nutrients in flushed cannabis.

I will wait.

All you are doing when you ‘flush’ is a partial light cure while the plant still lives. If you properly cure after you cut the plant then you end up with cannabis just as good as if you ‘flush’

Flushing is just impatience (I want to smoke this 2 days after I cut it!). Not a trait admired by knowledgable growers.

In the face of new evidence, from your link again (you really should read it), I have seen that the increase in yield I expected does not seem to be an actual effect in the real world.

It seems to be the case that flushing does literally nothing at all and is pure myth or superstition.

No, you can harvest them full of nutrients, or full of nutrients. Look at the graph you linked to.

It will not sell but not because it is a lower quality, but because of misinformation and a branding image issue.

You do not want to be enlightened, you want to have an argument. I propose there is no benefit to flushing, I have said why, and proven it. You continue to claim your ‘anecdotal evidence’ trumps research.

Even research you yourself posted.

If you actually want to know, read all of your posted links. They disprove your words far better than I can be bothered to, typing it all out.

Then you are being a twat. Again, I ask you to just stop. Try not just trying to wind people up, and have a sensible discussion, based on facts, so we can all grow, gain information, and benefit, TeamOG Leader.

I REALLY would have expected that OG would not want someone like you being a ‘leader’ and being the public face of TeamOG!

@LemonadeJoe is this the face of OG? Do you stand behind people acting like this?

Not sure I want to be part of this, it is making me just not want to open up the site…

7 Likes

Long held beliefs don’t change easily, that’s why it’s still illegal even for medicinal use here. Arguing with people is perfectly ok but when you call them a twat you cant then adopt the moral high ground, you have already lost!
I see no point in feeding high strength nutes to plants that cant use them because they are at the end of their life. Apart from anything else it’s a waste of money and nutrients. I smoked some hydro grown gear the other day that was grown at an EC of 2.0 right to the finish. It tasted crap and made me cough my guts up. The guys going to flush his next crop because he cant stand it either.

3 Likes

When someone says that their only reason to post is to wind you up I no longer care about moral high ground, I would rather just leave the site than stay and deal with them. I feel sure this is their aim as they seem to feel threatened for some reason, and they will get it.

1 Like

I am flushing my Sour Bubble and Grass Monkey and will continue to do so until harvest. Which is like 10 days out aprox. I am doing CalMag and Sugar Daddy only. They are starting to eat themselves now…

Doing a watering every other day.

2 Likes

Yeh i find the bud is much sweeter when the plants have had time to consume some of that chlorophyll. That for me is the main benefit and it also seems to give them a head start on the curing process too cos it doesn’t seem to take as long. Before anyone decides to insult me, that’s just my impression.

2 Likes

This is too true, but don’t let them attack you, fight fire with fire!

I will give you my laser gun if that doesn’t work, or send my robot to your rescue!

HAHAHA

1 Like