TopShelfs trees (Part 3)

That looks really nice man, I have been eyeing those shelf covers for my sunporch to get the spring garden going earlier with a heat mat or two in the bottom of a shelf unit like that. Hadn’t thought about using that arrangement for keeping moms but I like it! I could really use a dedicated mom space going forward, it feels wasteful devoting tent square footage to plants that im specifically trying to have in stasis when that environment is for growth. Gonna have to read more of your thread about the bonsai technique, I’d like to know how that’s evolved from the days of the OT1 bonsai moms tutorial which is the last thing I read about it, and that’s like super old now, all respects to Oldtimer.

I’m a former bread baker so my thoughts ran immediately to finding a free broken speed rack for sheet pans and fixing/cleaning/using it as a mini greenhouse, we would spend all day taking dough on boards off these and putting shaped loaves back on, with the zippered vinyl covers that had windows in the front, but I’d probably just get a cheap reusable 8-14 mil clear zippered cover and drape an old sheet over it:

10 Likes

@NoCal I also keep my mother plants in (rehydrated canna) coco coir. I use 1 gal rain science bags and im watering plants daily. 2qts water per plant (in 1 gals) about every 3-5 days. I might experiment with backing off on nutes (currently feeding fulls strength jacks 321) because I’m trimming these ladies quite a bit to keep them small. Youll see a few in solo cups and 6 in some really small 1x1x2 inch cells waiting to be transplanted to a 4x4 square for the next run. Solo cups are for the 4x8 and 5x5. Coco cells are gonna be my very next run in a few weeks in an extra tent @Dirt_Wizard pretty cool man i was a baker myself for 2.5 years after culinary college

7 Likes

That’s very smart! And ironic cuz I’ve wanted a couple of those FOREVER, my thoughts were for seedlings etc. and another for clones. I looked into new ones and HOLY CRAP! Those things are crazy expensive, even the ones designed to put dirty dishes/trays etc. at restaurants and such, like 4/5/600$ for the actual unit, then like 40& a tray! :man_facepalming:t2: honestly most of what OT said still rings true , it’s all about utilizing every square inch available on the plant, ie: too early af, little LST to spread evenly, I prefer 6-8 tops max as I never take more than 8 snips max and that is super rare, usually it’s 4. I was looking at those VPD domes for a year but the price was nuts, of course Mike just buys it :man_facepalming:t2: (rich bastard) of which I’m ridiculously appreciative. I was going to use it strictly for cloning but I’m loving the mom idea if I can get it to hold everything sufficiently now.

4 Likes

You can definitely get them for a lot cheaper, the true commercial grade stuff costs like that, the covers are $150 and the racks are welded not bolted and cost $3-500 new. But there’s definitely sturdy cheaper options and the used market for restaurant wares and furniture is very very cheap, especially if you’re willing to break out some strong cleaning chemicals and a power washer and get some manky decade of grease and flour off some used ones, they’re nearly free when they’re gross. But you should be able to find a used restaurant place with a whole room full of those speed racks used and cleaned up, they’re on wheels but also used as lowboy cooler inserts, in walk-ins on Metro shelving, we just standardized everything in restaurants a long time ago around the full size sheet pan/bun pan/jelly roll pan/whatever you want to call it, the full size hotel pan, and then their fractional sizes. Kitchens are just adult Lego when they’re designed right!

9 Likes

@TopShelfTrees1 I tagged you in a thread to checkout when you get the chance. I threw down for the project. The idea of unfound genetics and growing out something no one else has is hard for me to pass up on

@HighTilliDie looking good! Sounds like the general consensus is 1g and “get yer ass in there and water em’” :joy:

Ty for the tips everyone. I’ve never had the extra space for some keepers and the priorities are definitely different. I need to go read this bonsai thread now.

1 Like

@NoCal I don’t use any specific training methods just keep topping different branches. Not too worried about height im in a 80 inch tall tent but I wish they would quit widening out on me lol. Im eventually gonna get to the point to where once they get too bushy ill just chop completely down and reset them all and reclone 2 per strain because my next run with almost all my mothers in it will be in a month to 2 and they will need to stay alive for at least another 4 to determine if I really want to keep them or not

2 Likes

:sob:

The designer and the home owner don’t like the wall color.

2 Likes

They’ve been hyping this new fancy coffee shop. Scout? I think. I don’t buy coffee in those places. No latte/frappe/crappe for me. It’s looked ready to open for a year. I see guys dicking around, milking it. Really? It’s a coffee shop. The building was a gutted bank. Bizarre.

1 Like

From San Luis Obispo? That place is dope as fuck in terms of design, if so.
I used to go there on Cali road trips. Giant 2 story wall of plants behind the bar

4 Likes

My local coffee shop is a Starbucks and looks out over a gas station and a Canadian Tire parking lot.

4 Likes

More than anything this job has dragged on for too long already and now the customer has a bunch of new ideas while we are here. They want to change work that’s already been completed. I need to collect my final check and move the fuck on. I don’t wanna make a career out of this one. It’s too far away from home lol.

1 Like

Morro Bay. Old B of A building. Someone needs a write off is the general consensus. I can see 3 nice coffee shops with solid local loyalty in play.

2 Likes

In the print shop I worked in, “those” customers were handled. Unreasonably price them out the door. “Asshole tax” 'em.

3 Likes

@hightillidie so first mountain temple to go to soil.

Second cut in soil still adjusting and needing the way extra humidity.
doing good though she is rocking.
Cut #3 has just shot first root through rr so another day or 2 and will have enough roots to go to soil. So 3/3 still the stinkiest plants in the house and I have 3 deep into flower.

9 Likes

Goood Morning brotha and other brothas! :coffee: :sunglasses: :vulcan_salute:

8 Likes

Morning dude! What’s everybody doing this weekend?

7 Likes

Good morning. As for me. Ugh, plant issues. Hope everyone is having a great morning.

6 Likes

Morning everyone! Sorry to hear that brother hopefully they bounce back soon! Hope everyone else is off to a good start this morning! I have to do my last family Christmas and im not looking forward to it as its with my family aka the shit starters lol

4 Likes

Hey yall should check this out @Upstate needs a few more people to throw down for some spots. Some people have been splitting a spot as they are $200 ea. All the details are in the thread. Ive already put forth my portion and personally can’t wait to see what happens in the months to come from this!

5 Likes