Transplanting mites

So here the question. I had a slight problem for the first time in a while of a bit of a gnat problem. Not serious as in dozens but enough to be noticeable and unwanted. Used gnatrol and that helped but still couldn’t shake them. I was using new mixed soil from a batch about 50+ gallons mixed and still have about 25 plus gallons in rubbermaid cans, and soils and compost are from a known good source but shit happens and may have been the source. I also am dealing remaking new bonsai moms using same soil and new grow in 5 gal bags. I used sticky yellow cards and was getting one or a few on cards at most but could still see flyers of gnats, more of a insult than a real problem. I went nuke and ordered from Natures Good Guys Hypoaspis miles mites and they finished off the little buggers quickly it seems. Im wondering can I collect the top inch or so of soil from my bags when chopped to transplant to my next round when I replant clones in fresh soil from same larger mix of soil on the top to transplant the mites for next grow in bags. Does that in any way seem clear as to what I am trying to ask?? I spread out the mite container in bags and on moms (one tablespoon) for my bonsai moms and had enough left to spread on my remaining mix in Rubbermaid cans. They are covered and outside and kept a bit damp. Gonna try it. I can use my USB microscope to see the little soldiers moving around on the top of the moms soil and bags doing their good thing. Trying to keep the colony going by scraping off the top and adding them to the next run grow bags.

3 Likes

Good question. I thought they died off when the food runs out. :eyes:

From what I can take from reading at a few places that sell bugs that nematodes die off but the mites can survive on plant matter in the soil. But I’m not a expert.

Here they say they can last four weeks without food, better them dying than having more pests to feed them … :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Could be. One the site I ordered from in the lifecycle section they claim mites CAN survive on plant matter and algae. Saw it mentioned elsewhere which would be nice to keep them alive and ready to swoop in on gnats

1 Like