TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 5: "The Ghost and the Darkness"

Day 25

Seeing some yellowing and spotting/necrosis today. God this is like chasing a wild goose here.

14 Likes

may i ask, what is the ph/ppm of your soil?

4 Likes

I havent checked the soil ph/ppm, just what’s going in. 6-6.5pH and 45ppm water.

I suppose I should test it though at this point.

3 Likes

I have a hard job keeping my mother plants happy in half gal pots, most of the time they have some problem or another, but as they are mothers I don’t usually bother to much until I need cuttings.

2 Likes

Day 27

So frustrating! Had to cave and fed them 600ppm of MegaCrop.

Hopefully that gives them some nutrition as they are looking awful now.

I thought maybe a lockout but soil pH looks to be around 6.8 and the slurry I tested with distilled water only came out to about 150ppm.

So with this new light coming (SP-250 by the way if anyone was wondering what I ended up getting) I have to make a decision on what media I’m going to continue using for future runs and from the evidence I have thus far I really should be going back to coco and starting this next round ASAP, because it looks like I’m going to have a disappointing harvest in my current crop. Should still work out to a ~30 day harvest offset which was the plan all along.

I think I’ll just get another 2x4 tent and start a fresh run of autos under the SP-250 when it gets here.

Gotta keep moving forward!!

12 Likes

In the situation you’re in I think trying the megacrop is a good idea. Hopefully this will give them the food they need.

3 Likes

I think that would be wise as you are dependant on a constant supply of weed. Is that temp on the hygrometer correct, I think it says 20c? probably warmer higher up but that temp is really a minimum, with soil and bacteria.

:pensive: If you have time, space and inclination, you could just experiment with one good sized pot and plant in soil to see how it goes :persevere:

4 Likes

Yeah 20C is pretty much the norm at pot level, it dips as low as 19C at night. Just so many variables with soil lol. I’ll still be recycling it and putting it in a tote or something when these plants finish (if they finish?) and revisiting it in the future.

Now I’m searching for something better than MC to run in coco as I’m still a little jaded about last round. But I don’t want to spend too much on watered down nutrients but am willing to try a multi part again. I would like my media and nutrients to be under $100 to run say, 6-8 plants in 2-3gal containers for 60+ days.

6 Likes

I think $100 is a reasonable goal. A bale of promix and both veg and bloom pureblendpro should do 100 gallons of nute.

I think this cost me $120. Works good.

3 Likes

Man this round is giving you Hell huh! Good attitude however, lol!!
Your in Canada are you not? So cannot get Jack’s right? Nor Urban Farms Texas Vegetable Food??

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve tried sourcing both of those products. Can get them, but at such an inflated cost it would scare ya lol.

5 Likes

Shame…I know lots do not ship to Canada for whatever reason .

1 Like

Yeah with legalization I figured the availability would be better for a lot of products but it’s no better.

I was hoping I could go to WalMart and there would be a cannabis growing section but it seems we are still a long way away.

4 Likes

I did some digging around, found 3 or 4 good ferts cheap, but NONE of them ship to Canada.
Call Jacks and ask about a Canadian distributor!!

3 Likes

Lots of hydro shops around, I’m going to stop in at my regular one tomorrow or friday and see what the prices are like. The last few things I bought there were way way less than I would have paid online.

The GH MaxiGro/MaxiBloom stuff would be about $45 for both bags and should do a cycle, same with the 3 part GH Flora 1 Litre kits. I know people hate Advanced Nutrients but they also have a $50 ph perfect kit that also looks attractive.

I might just need a bloom/micro as MegaCrop still works great for the first few weeks or “veg” period of my autos. I also have a half gallon or so of DNF Gro A+B that works just fine in the early stages as well.

Canna Coco A+B would be my preference if in as I’ve worked with it in the past and can vouch for the quality but the price, even at the hydro shop, is outrageous ($50 per 1L bottle)

5 Likes

It sucks it’s so expensive and hard to find water soluble ferts up there. I did some looking and found a couple options.
Jonsplantfactory.com and hydrodionne.com
I saw jacks at Jon’s and only calcium nitrate at the hd site. I so found this on amazon.ca

Hope this helps! I searched for calcium nitrate and mono potassium phosphate.

3 Likes

How did the mega crop work out? Are they a litttle more perky?

2 Likes

Wow idk how I only just saw your message. The MegaCrop actually did just that, it “perked” things back up, where the leaves arent drooping anymore. Still some yellowing and dead leaves I’m just picking off as they get bad. Say what you want about chelated nutrients, but it’s nice to have food that is readily available for your plants to pull from when needed.

Will post an update tomorrow!

9 Likes

Yoyoyoyoyoyoyo,
Heard you won the Mars Hydro giveaway!!! Effin’ eh, bud! Your good karma has come back to you…what goes around is all around.

5 Likes

I’m glad to hear it. I guess they are just hungry and the soil isn’t giving them what they need? I doubt the damaged yellowish stuff will heal but at least you can move forward now.

3 Likes