Trike's Grow Journey - snoozefest & occasional faceplants

Howdy and welcome to my little corner on OG :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve been mostly lurking since I joined last December. After a recent trip to the west coast, I decided it was time to start connecting here on OG.

Most of my grows over the last decade have been rather haphazard. In my short time on OG, I’ve bookmarked some solid techniques shared fellow OG’ers. I’ll try to remember and tag them when it comes up.

In this grow, I just transferred from solo cups to their final pots today, where I followed @SmknCanuck A Guide for Newbies on Transplanting. :man_farmer:

Tent:
No name 2’ x 4’ tent from Amazon.
No name 4" fan and filters from Amazon
Mars Hydro 600
Mars Hydro 1000

Medium and containers:
Black Swallow KIS soil with pumice and other good stuff.
1 and 2 gallon reused nursery pots.
I like to grow just enough to meet my needs and hopefully keep the smell to a minimum in our tiny house. But at these sizes, I end up supplementing with MegaCrop as needed.

Seeds:
2 x Banana Bread (Early Purple Kush x Vietnamese Black) fems - Holy Smoke Seeds.
2 x Harlequin (5:2) Regs - Oakland, CA.
2 x Willie Nelsen fems (for sure not the real deal) - BlimBurn Seeds.

@Pigeonman’s Speed Cups :+1:

22 Likes

Looks great. I’m not sure how the Willie Nelson grows in seed form but the clone has a ridiculous amount of stretch at the flip. My buddy grew it and flipped at 18" his first grow. It hit the roof of the tent before he took it out and gained another 2’ finishing at 8’ almost. Great sativa for sure but from what I’ve seen it needs to be flipped very early in a tent grow. Does the breeder give any stretch guidance on it?

4 Likes

Hi :wave: @FirstCavApache64

I think these Willie Nelson seeds are probably an attempt recreate the original. There no info on stretching given on there website.

But like what passes for Blue Dream these days won’t be much like the original cut, still has been amazing for me personally.

I grew this one only once so far and liked it as well.

2 Likes

Looks real nice @TricycleOfDoom im down for the grow, some interesting stuff too, positive vibes :facepunch:t2:

3 Likes

Thanks @TopShelfTrees1. I’m excited to have you join in. :handshake:

Yesterday I lightly watered my plants, using a turkey baster for better control. The 2 gallon pots 1.5 oz of water and the smaller receive .75 ounces.

• First I misted the top of the soil to prevent weird runoff paths. Thanks go to @sprinklememaynee for this tip!. :man_farmer:t3:

• Then I watered a ring around the the footprint of each plant. Thanks to @LoveDaAutos for sharing this, it helped turn around my over watering during last grow in the spring. :grinning:

2 Likes

Excited to see you crush this grow! Sending positive vibes man

1 Like

I checked my tent this morning at 9am and all was well. Around 2pm, I noticed power was off in most of the basement. A gfci plug had tripped. I was able to reset it, but no idea how long the lights were off.

I’m hoping for no hermies, but thinking of germinating a few more seeds just in case. And also figuring out a battery powered light bulb that will go on during power outages.

:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Here’s an update photo before I upsize the smaller one’s into 2 gallon planters.

7 Likes

I had to go do some repairs on our cottage this weekend. Was going for 3 nights and feeling a bit stressed over my plants not getting watered.

So just before leaving, I took a chop stick a opened up a small hole in the soil from the top to the bottom of my planter’s edges. I slowly poured a small amount water down each of the holes; about a 3rd of a cup.

Then I filled the saucers with water 3/4 from the top.

Today, still worried if it would work, I found all of my plants except one are taller and wider than before :partying_face:

10 Likes

Those are looking great @TricycleOfDoom. I feel like you have the hang of it, they seem to be coming along really nicely!

1 Like

Thank you friend. I’m really enjoying following your journal, including hearing about the Bonanza of Green method your starting on. I grabbed a copy of the pdf to read up on it.

1 Like

Last Tuesday I topped them and Last night I flipped to 12/12. So harvest should happen between late September and early October.

Also took some cuttings from the Harlequin :man_farmer:

9 Likes

I feel like I levelled up this weekend. I came across @JohnnyPotseed ’s Hall of Genetics and made a donation for 2 packs of StarShine F2’s by @HolyAngel :fire:

I already know what I’m donating for next month, Willie’s Myst. Well assuming it’s still available.

I’m grateful to Johnny and all the growers who donate their seeds. :heart:

5 Likes

Post 12/12 flip day 7.

4 Likes

Looks like both of my Harlequins are girls.That makes the first 5 of the 20 seeds all female. And one of my 4 clones started showing roots coming out of the peat pellet. My first clone ever. :star_struck:

These seeds are special for me. The bud tastes great and I was surprised at how much it helped with back spasm pain after my first harvest. I hope to make more seeds from them. :man_farmer:

I first saw them listed, 10 years ago, on the Harbour View nursery (Oakland CA) website. When I contacted them they said only for in person sales, but they pointed me to the breeders website, MedicineManSeeds. At the time they didn’t take credit cards, but Alexis Bronson walked me through a Western Union transfer. I’ve ordered a few times and he always sent me 2x the seeds I payed for. :heart:

At one point he was providing clones to local nurseries. But based on the google news hits, he’s had a rough go of it since the beginning and it just got worse during legalization. He must have sold the seed business as inventory has completely changed and they never responded to my emails asking permission to make seeds. A recent search (LinkedIn) says Alexis is in New York working with youth in the justice system.

2 Likes

Day 28 from flip to 12/12.

High RH 68%. I added a small muffin fan blowing upwards and increased the oscillating fan’s speed to nearly full. I may get a small dehumidifier from amazon. But I think this size of tent shouldn’t have six plants all at the same stage; 3 max maybe.

6 Likes

I recently met @lefthandseeds and @SF0 here on OG. I saw some of their plants and began asking questions. They were helpful in their answers. A few weeks ago, I decide try some seeds from RCS. They left the UK pretty fast, then sat in customs a for 9 days (slightly nerve wracking), but today they finally showed up in my mailbox.

I am especially excited about the Syrian seeds, as I have a personal connection to that country. In 1981, I landed in Damascus and then spent six months in the Golan Heights 1981 with the UN. I was a very young radio operator in the :canada: army. In between shifts, I would often hop on the mail run to UN HQ in Damascus for the day. I’m so pumped to grow these seed over the winter.

11 Likes

Those are some great choices! I’ve been interested in Iranian genetics for a while. I have some from landrace team but haven’t grown them yet. I’ll be excited to see what comes out of them!

4 Likes

Almost 6 weeks since the 12/12 flip.

10 Likes