Tropf-Blumat Watering System

No I saw no evidence that the roots move towards carrot. The water drips from a tube that is controlled by the carrot. The carrot just acts as mechanism to control water flow through the rubber tube.

1 Like

Thanks guys :slightly_smiling_face:
Also is it critical to you to use a lightproof reservoir? As I guess like in hydro direct light on the water might generate algae or at least unexpected variations (pH, EC…)?

1 Like

If you can its a good idea. I had an old 45 liter potassium carbonate container I used which was white.

Like bytheKasiz says “You probably do not want to fill more than a couple gallons till you are confident and have it setup for a week or so”. If you are adding nutes you will need to empty the res each time it needs filling or try and work out whats left and add the difference accordingly. I dont use nutes so not 100% sure on that.

Your PH may fluctuate every couple of days, just as water sitting in a bucket will raise its PH, I use a no till soil grow so I didn’t have to worry too much about that, as I had buffers in my soil.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t let the res run dry because that will mess up the water pressure in the line. You would then have to reset your carrots. I just add when it’s low and recheck ph. It may sway a little bit after a week or so but I’ve rarely had to adjust ph after topping off with the new nutrient mix.
Also roots will grow up above the soil toward the dripper. This is a great sign and u can easily turn the dripper so it drips in a different spot. :v:

2 Likes

I ran 3 drippers in a10 gal pot in a triangle around the plant.

2 Likes

I’ve since discovered Hempy Buckets…the irrigation system is out da window for me :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :star_struck:

https://overgrow.com/t/my-first-hydro-setup/40646/1

The key to keeping them from running away is not letting the carrot dry out. If the carrot dries up, and then you add water to the reservoir, it will empty the reservoir without stopping(runaway blumat). I always reset all my carrots before a trip. Or if I cannot visit the grow room for a few days. FYI

3 Likes

@Tommy_McCain true that. I think if I ever plan on an extended trip I might pick em up, but I move my plants so much for me it would be a nightmare.

I just pulled my carrots because the bed was not taking in any water.
Turned out that my dripper ms had been eaten by the soil and roots were growing up the drip lines and clogged them upZ at one carrot the roots had progressed into the main water line about 3ft.

2 Likes

:joy: I have never heard of that happening before, those feed tubes are tiny.

1 Like

I was so excited to try This system, but I am so glad that I didn’t purchase it because it wouldn’t fit into my grow style.

I am unsure how this would work for anyone who does daily garden maintenance. But for an I’m going on vacation for a week or 2, totally the shizzle.

2 Likes

Bought one but they look picky so don’t know if I’ll use it for regular watering

1 Like

What maintenance do you think they will get in the way of? Just curious.
Theyre definitely best utilized in a notill set up where you generally dont mix anything with your water.

2 Likes

…is that common? How long of a life do these carrots have?

They’d fit well in my grow but I don’t want to replace them all the time or risk leaks.

1 Like

They still work fine, they had been in my notill bed for over a year. Living soil eats stuff hahah (they just get covered in the soil, they still function fine)

I just had to pull em all, clean em, soak the bed, and reset em. Not too difficult at all.

2 Likes

I typically move my plants (not on the daily) but to adjust them, which wouldn’t be significant enough of an occurrence to be an issue. In my veg tent due to plant training etc, I dont think personally it would work for (me) but in the flower tent, thats wgere I think this could shine. I dont typically move plants around (but as of late my transition from soil --> soiless) has my flower tent looking like a vacant lot.

Food for thought, for sure. Only concern then would be nutrients and clogged lines, but, nothingness perfect right? :v::peace_symbol::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

I’ve been using blumats with blusoak tape for my living soil beds in my basement for about a year and they have been amazing.

Just ordered a strainer from sustainable village to put in the supply line from my rain barrel (haven’t had any clogs, but lots of debris builds up in the barrel so thought it’d be a good idea) in the spring and summer I use that, and in the winter I valve it off and use a bucket res inside on the other end of the line, up on a shelf.

They also make carrots with a bottle adapter that I’m going to try in the veg tent on 1 gallon containers.

2 Likes

Im thinking of using BluMats any suggestions on how many carrots for a three gallon bucket? What do you use for fertilizer or nutrients in a soil arrangement?

1 Like

For a 3 gallon bucket you could just use one carrot, generally people put them on big living soil beds, at least 30 gallon fabric pots.

2 Likes

I just posted this on Wubbalubbas thread, he was asking the same question.

If you move your pots about a lot they are a pain, any movement will dislodge the carrot (moisture sensor) and if air gets down the side of the carrot it will dry out and the water will just keep dripping through until the res is dry. Twice I came down to 40 liters of water all over the floor. I ran a perpetual grow so plants were going in and out every 3 weeks and each time you have to re set all the carrots and dial them in again.

If you dont move your pots much or are away from the plants for a while they are a good tool to use, but with such a light pot, I was using 10 gal, they may dislodge or there may be not enough soil pressure to keep them under control.

3 Likes