Tips on getting a larger yield in soil?

I know there is a lot of variables to determine yield but after about 5 months i got less than 90g dry weight off of two plants in a 2x4 vegged for about 3 months from sprout. I kept my led under 75% the entire flower cycle and plants were in 5 gal fabric pots. I topped a few times, however some of the tops seemed to bite me in the ass, some branches seemed to stop growing when i topped them a second time i think i didnt wait for enough growth in-between topping.

What method or tips do you guys have for growing larger more solid buds? The biggest nug i got is maybe 3-4 inchs long.

14 Likes

My most basic understanding with growing ANYTHING in soil. . … It’s all about the watering patterns. Good soakings, partial drybacks, ensuring ample but not excess of foods.

I’m still getting the hang of soil growing veggies outdoors. I often have seedlings damp off or dry up, and occasionally get growth issues with medium to large sized plants.

11 Likes

More dirt. If you’re going organic in soil, I’d go 2 plants in 10-15 gallons of soil. And also water cycle is crucial.

18 Likes

I water and until run off throughly soaking the pot, then i wait until pot is light weight or dry 2 inches from top soil. I definitely could work on dialing in the nutes better

4 Likes

There are so many factors involved… are you growing the same genetics? Which genetics? Are you reusing your soil? How are you amending your soil? Teas or store bought, or both? And watering methods, as mentioned. Also, what are your goals, weight-wise?

6 Likes

I made another post about pot size and there were people posting huge plants in 1 gal containers. Im starting off in a 1 gal but i do have 3,5,7 gal fab pots i could transplant into before flipping. I had my last harvest in 7 gallon fab pots and it didnt make a huge difference. Plants were definitely larger but yeild wasnt that much different

3 Likes

Volume of roots is biggest factor to consider regarding weight, hydro can get huge in water, soil just needs enough space / volume to get bigger

20 Likes

Check out Sub Irrigated Planters. They use soil, and it’s very very hard to fuck up the watering. I’m slowly switching my stuff to them. Fastest soil growth I’ve ever gotten and it’s bitten me in the ass a few times because the plants get so big in flower.

@CrunchBerries has a fantastic thread on it.

17 Likes

My first two harvest were same genetics thug pug billys unicorn. Switching things up a bit this time with random strains. I use royal gold kings mix soil i buy more as i need it and do not reamend (although i will now that i learned that its a thing) i have never used a tea, i just used bio bizz organic nutes. I water until run off usually almost 2 gallons for a 5 gal fab pot. I wait until pot is light weight or dry 2 inches from surface before rewatering. Once in the 5 gals it was about 2 gal of water every 8ish days

1 Like

ThugPug is awesome, but IMO not the best place to look if size and yield are your biggest concerns. Almost every ThugPug strain has the propensity to throw weird low-yielding phenos but still EXCEPTIONAL flower.

You want dank, you’re in the right place. Big yields? I’d look elsewhere than ThugPug, and this is coming from a big fan

7 Likes

Yea years ago they must have did something right because i’ve remembered their name for a long time and always new i wanted their gear. I think they created peanut butter breath? Maybe thats where i found out about them

4 Likes

YES, PBB is ThugPugs work, the greatest of their works IMO. I’m growing my last two original versions of it, then time to move on. Pops and I Have held at least one cut of it for going on 3 yrs. Tired of low yields.

5 Likes

Those look darn-juicy those buds do @catapult

6 Likes

SOG 1 gallons in soil can be done for sure, it’s not at all easy, and will require a lot more maintenance than big pots (daily water/ feeding vs just water every few days).

Drip feed small pots can get you close, otherwise it’s bottled nutes to get big plants in little volume.

If not drip fed, then bottom water in big pots, to promote deep root growth.

Genetics are also definitely a big factor, but if genetics are kept the same bigger pots is easiest way to increase yield.

You can also stack 5ga pots, one on top of the other (if you don’t have bigger pots). That’s my in between, a 5 ga stacked on top of a 7 ga about 1/2 full.

Think dual root system.

The one thing about SIP’s that has kept me from switching; is that it’s is not the best for super soil; as far as I’ve heard. But, I’m not sure about that.

6 Likes

Bigger volume of soil will fix most of the problems.
Try them in 20gal or even one larger bed of soil. With soil growing its a lot to do with volume of the soil that you have.

I’ve got 3 plants in 23gal of soil in a 2.5ft x2.5ft tent, and ideally I’d like that to be closer to 30gal if I could fit it in there.

With soil don’t worry about watering until you get run off, that may be over saturating the soil, watering to run off is more of a hydro thing, where you need to ensure the nutrients are fully satured in the medium.
You’re doing the right thing with checking weight to see when they’re dry, but try just watering 5-10% by volume so the soil is moist but not soaking wet.

If tou havnt already seen it yet, there’s a fantastic YouTube channel by Buils A Soil, where they document soil grows from seed to harvest, check them out for tonnes of free knowledge!

:v:

14 Likes

Could u tag me in @CrunchBerries thread i took a look real quick and didnt see what you were talking about

4 Likes

Also guys i dont really know what i expect. The best i ever did was 10 zips off of 6 plants and tbat was yearssss ago running roots organic soil and nutes. I guess im really half assing the “organic” part of the grow with pre bought soil and liquid bottled nutes. The soil and nutes are prettt costly and I definitely would like to figure something more effective and efficient out soon.

2 Likes

Hey buddy, here is the link to the SIP thread

We’ve got a good group that are able to help if you have questions.

7 Likes

my yield went up, aka plants grew faster, the more perlite i added without changing pot size.
one day i went all perlite…and stayed that way. i’m not the best soil grower…shoot i am not a very hydro grower, but adding perlite reduced the water cycle to get more waterings in.

7 Likes

Ive done SOG in all kinds of pots, and Ive found the best way for soil is as big of pots as possible. Ill stuff 7-10 in a 10 gal shamelessly. Veg clones or seedlings a foot tall and flip. Makes things easy to maintain and you can juice some nice yields from em. Heres an example

9 Likes