Two stage cabinet setup with bubblers

It is always wise to have two cabinets in different stages. In this way you can cut clones from plants in vegetation before you switch them to flower. The truth is that cloning “clones” generation after generation degrades them… More preferably you should have separate mother room which is under 18/6 all the time and just cut clones from mothers. Then you just let the clones root and put them to your main room. If you time this perfectly you can change harvested plants for new clones and use your main room without interruption.

My main room during vegetation period:

Equipped with two 600w high pressure sodium lamps enclosed in cool tubes (I haven’t build any cabinet without them :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

And my small mothers on 18/6 in small separate mother area.

ive cloned moms many many many times with no problems ever over the years. the only time you get problems in your cuttings is when your mom is in shit health.

1 Like

Hi @lotus710, sorry for not being clear enough (I’ve written that in a hurry :))…

It was meant this way: it is believed that “re-cutting” leads to degradation - by re-cutting I mean taking cuttings from clones generation after generation VS. from 1st generation / mother plant.

I haven’t got any issues personally but also haven’t tried endless strategy “clone from clone from clone… etc.” but have heard that there can be issues after some time…

So I think it is generally better to have mum (mother plant) that is still in vegetation and serves just for cutting clones. It also helps to time cutting better so that you have well rooted cuttings available just when you need them.

I’ve done about 6 years max of re-cutting as you put it without any problem at 20 cycles per year. So that makes about 120 re-cuts. I’ve heard of the degradation thing but I’ll be honest, I think it’s bunk. I would sooner believe that people who claim that came across some disease somewhere and didn’t know. There are many reasons to keep mothers but I don’t believe better clones is one of them.

1 Like

Thank you for confirmation. This is also my believe, but I haven’t as much re-cuts as you… I think that your experience really proves it…

Some details:

Strain: Sweet Tooth #3 (Spice of Life)
Fertilizer: Advanced Hydroponics of Holland

Today some photos from flowering at the main cabinet:

3 Likes

ST#3 in detail

2 Likes

Very nice plantation! Is that DWC? Every bucket is separate?

Regarding the “2 stage” - I beleive that the magic number is 4:
1 vegging room - LED lights
1 flowering room (bigger than vegging) - HPS lights
1 “nursery” (moms and clones) - CFL lights
1 multi-purpose (can be vegging or flowering, depends on needs) - MH/HPS lights

Having a “multi-purpose” room is very handy - when there are too many clones or some plants are vegging “slow” - you can move them to that room and proceed with others to flowering.

1 Like

Thanks! Yes every bucket is separate. I believe Deep water culture is one of the easiest approaches to hydroponics. Its DIY so you can build whatever size you wish and fit your grow room.

Separate buckets are to eliminate possible health problem or diseases (that can spread to whole harvest when shared). These don’t share the reservoir and are filled manually separately (through hose attached to pump).

I second your opinion about 4 room approach. With currently sold tents (to divide grow area) it can be easily achieved using 2 separate physical spaces/rooms.