Hashtree's fun box

So I’m getting back into indoor for fun lately and just finished my first run in the cabinet I have and I’d like to clean it up a bid and try something different.
I need to improve ventilation as I had some mold issues last time. I plan to cut a larger air intake and install a furnace filter to keep it cleaner. I might do an oscillating fan as the mold I had was in the dead spot of the fan. I think I’ll do the walls in foil mr.sparkle style.

Biggest change I’m thinking of going to a mini dwc set up. I have two 6 qt. totes that fit the space pretty well. I was planning on doing 1-2 small plants in each. I worry about the small volume of the res and I don’t see to many hydro set ups in mini/micro grows. I do a lot of veggies in hydro, but I haven’t done cannabis in a hydro other than a flood and drain like 20 years ago, and never in this small space. I’m not counting the little flowered clones in the hempies, i just didn’t want to throw them away so I the them into flower with the last run.

The chamber I’ll be using is on the left and is 16"x16. The light blow’s so I’ll be replacing that at some point as well. The grand scheme of this is to have a big (ok tiny) flower chamber on the left. One or two smaller chambers on the right for veg and breeding, and keep all my notes and crap on the top shelf. It’s all just for fun and I want to keep the energy and cost low. I’ll still grow outdoors and that provides much more than I use honestly. Anyways if you have time to let me know what you think, I’m all ears

17 Likes

Very nice plan! Gonna snatch up a seat here and watch :popcorn:

2 Likes

Hi Ya @Hashtree
I grow hydroponics and DWC currently an OxtPot, the issue I see is the res volume.
The roots will fill the space very quickly so managing nutes and temp is going to be a nightmare as you will have all roots no nutes…, why not consider an external in header which you can control the nutes PH EC and temp. … a small hydro type float valve in the reservoir and an electric pump from res to header to recycle the nutes on a timer…
Happy growing bro…:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks @Robin. That’s what I was worried about also, res temp and volume. I thought about doing a remote res but I think it would make it tough to pull the plants out to work on them. I also worry they may grow to big to fast in dwc for my space.
I hate to copy someone but mr.sparkles top fed system might be the best for my small box.

1 Like

Thanks @toastyjakes! I’ll try and make it interesting.

Anybody have any experience with these Eva dry things?
New and Improved Eva-dry E-333 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H0XFCS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-evlCbJTSZ3R6
It’s a self contained gel dehumidifier, it says renewable for up to 10 years, you take it out when full and plug it in and it’s good to go again

I wish these silly little clones from my last run would get some Amber do I can move forward and do some work to the flower chamber! It’s taking forever and a waste of space. Gotta be any day now.

5 Likes

I hope you don’t mind being copied @Mr.Sparkle but I think I’m going to copy your setup with the small coco pots that drain into a res below. It’s genius. What size pot would you recommend for 4 plants in a space 1.5’ x 1.5’ feet? I’m guessing somewhere between 32oz to 1 gallon?
Also I want to try some auto’s this year. The ones from sweet seeds all look awesome. I tried to order from them but it said they can’t ship to my address? (P.o. box in the US). Any recommendations where I can order them or some other good breeder?
Thanks

2 Likes

Hey Hashtree.
Those gel absorbers work great but become saturated amazing fast. You might want to employ 2 or 3 in rotation cuz they take awhile to dry.

Neat setup but Robin called the bet.
I’ve used those plastic shoebox containers as a res for a self watering setup a few years back, only where you have those 2 netpots I had single 32 oz square H2O2 bottle inverted with the bottom cut off and the neck in the res.
One of these floats, hooked up to a 5 gallon gravity fed supply, meant very little watering maintenance.

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking on the gell absorbers, having at least 2. I would only use late in flower. I will probably have everything sorted by then anyway.
Sounds like you had a sub irrigated planter? And pretty sweet one at that. How did it work for you? I used to run those earth bucket sip outdoors and had great luck for a couple years, then not so much so I gave it up.
I’m gonna give this coco a shot with an automated watering system just cause it’s new to me.

1 Like

I ordered some from Seedsman. Waiting on shipment now.

1 Like

Worked great.
Here’s a few things I learned.
Use black outdoor hose for the run to your sip, algae will grow in clear and jam up the float.
Walmart reusable shopping bags work better than anything for keeping roots out of the res.
I cut 3" or so squares or circles then wrap them around the spout, secure with cable ties.
Here’s an example, be sure to melt or drill a couple holes through the thread section of the bottle first.

3 Likes

Thanks @ReikoX! That’s just what I was looking for. Any recommendations? I’m looking for a heavy indica stone and I really like those purples they have.
I’m getting ready to try and make your roots are all cream for the wife!

2 Likes

Good tips. I might give the sips another go this year. I gotta get serious about making some good soil though. I was using some premixed and I think that’s why they didn’t work so well the last couple times.

2 Likes

I’ve only ran their Crystal Candy, but it was good.

2 Likes

Thanks for the seedsman recommendation! I orderd a few red poison and dark devil auto’s. Got a ton of discounts and freebies too! Going to be fun running a flower in the veg chamber.
So I finally got those clones to finish and had a chance to drill a new 4" air intake, foil the walls and repot the next run. I ended up using 1 gallon containers and coco. First time running straight coco and mega crop as well. Hopefully tomorrow I will set up the water reservoir and pump.

What schedule do you guys run your fans? I was only running them with the light, but after a mold incident I run them 24/7.

4 Likes

I run my fan on low 24/7. I then use a thermostat to run the fan on high when the temperature goes above the set point.

3 Likes

i also run fans 24/7. seems they like it that way & i do too :space_invader:

1 Like

Didn’t get the res set up but I did get another chamber ready today.

4 Likes

Just an update on the cabinet. I ended up using a system similar to Mr.sparkle. here is my pump and reservoir

All put together I just used the totes to catch the run off and drain it back to the reservoir. I drilled out some old drip emmiters to even out the flow and they seem to work well.

And I’ve been having fun with the raspberry pi and got off to a great start thanks to some of the threads on here. It’s pretty cool to check on the cabinet with my phone!

4 Likes