Upgrade dilemma

Thanks @slain for pointing that out, I noticed that with an Afghan #1, now I don’t know if it is still a good move to change to LED, any ideas with this?

before

5 Likes

This is another option he should look into. You can buy Samsung strips and diy it yourself. I understand the sol-strips, but there are cheaper options of same quality.

We should be showing him where to order Samsung strips from in Canada! Or qb’s.

350 watts for $700 is an outrageous price markup in my opinion.

5 Likes

Ask them if they have any 132 also. Or any of there v1 boards. They’ve come out with v2. The efficiency is negligible in gain.

Also if your in Canada what’s your power cost? If your gonna need heat in some months go with HPS or CMH. You can use that heat and it will give you a cheaper option for more Coverage. Also HPS grows some donkey dick buds.

3 Likes

That’s why you get several like the strips and make a frame that allows you to place them. The four I have in a 2x4 give me coverage corner to corner.

4 Likes

12 strips running at 50w each. 6 x 2700k and 6 x 5000k

Grow before last they ran at 480w and I got just shy if 1.5 gpw. 4 plants were in big bubble buckets though.
Solstrips are my best grow buy ever. The driver/power supply is what hurts the most

8 Likes

I posted this in another topic

Actuallty that doesn’t look too bad, Iv’e seen them much more stumpy but more red is the answer. So some 3000K or 3500K strips. That will get you more like this:

AK47 at 3 weeks.

$9. One per strip. I just mount them next to each other on some upside down ally channel in banks.

Get 10 of these

https://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/samsung-semiconductor-inc/SL-B8V4N90LAWW/1510-2452-ND/8536581

For $305.83 USD and then $75 USD for the drivers to run them, maybe $100 on wire, terminals, heat shrink and the ally framing and it’s what… 80K lumens for less than $500. It’s a no brainer IMHO.

7 Likes

The only measurements that count outside the spectrum IMHO is the actual amount of wattage consumed and the amount of lumens/watt. All those ‘equivalent to’ claims are total bunk.

5 Likes

Dilemma is solved, another solstrip rack. What a first harvest! 4hrs of trimming, not fun lol

4 Likes

In his beginning statement he said he paid $700 for 350 watts. That’s why I suggested diy. Are the sol strips really a dollar a watt? Cause I’d be interested!

3 Likes

Usd to cdn exchange rate is a killer, a long with getting hit with $100 on duty.

I’m also a lazy bastard and purchased the frame which I could have made myself.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s why I don’t deal with Americans no more. Always DIY to save a few quid. But those benefits are negated when you pay more in duties than you do for products.

Citizen COB LED all the way. Quite sure you will get free shipping from estonia too in Canada. Save the gimmicks and fuckery and build what you wanna build maybe you’ll stumble on something cheap and great

6 Likes

I’m avoiding the duty this time around, so that will be some good savings. I’m not DIY kinda guy, and have been 100% satisfied with my solstix, as I was just trying to be a cheapo and get something else.

4 Likes

I’d really like to build a cob next. Is the penetration that much better than qb, ya know deeper, thicker buds lol.

Do you have a build link? I was gonna start with cobs then qb seemed a lot easier and less heat. Now I need a heat source for winter but not HPS heat!

3 Likes

I prefer COBs myself. I’ll drop you a PM after I finish work mate

4 Likes

A lot of misinformation/confusion here. To clarify:

1. Duties and fees are determined, and paid to, your home country. There is literally nothing we can do to change that. FWIW, we pay no duties whatsoever for most Canadian and British goods imported into the US. You should demand the same of your governments (or accept it for what it is.)

2. Same with exchange rates. The Canadian dollar and British pound change their value daily. We simply convert our USD prices to the customer’s currency at the time of sale.

3. A SolSheet O, capable of +150 watts of premium LED power, sells for $149 USD, or about $1/watt, USD. The SolSheet X is $199 for +250 watts. SolStix rack kits are an even better value, at $29.99 per 50w stick of SolStrip + fitted heatsink, plus $49 for the pre-drilled mounting rails, wiring harness and connectors. If you can operate a screwdriver and a wire stripper, you can put together a three-foot SolStix Rack that will perfectly light a 2x4 ft area for $260 + driver + shipping. (@cdnBuddy, we use a new shipping process that eliminates the truly outrageous broker fees that UPS was charging our brothers to the North, which should shave at least $100 off your next Rack order.)

4. Drivers are the biggest area of shipping expense because they are so heavy. They are also widely available in Canada, Europe and the UK. If you want to save some money, learn how to cable a driver and order it from a local distributor.

7 Likes

Not sure how ordering these components to Canada from Australia is going to help with the shipping and duties issues. The driver you link to is a 220v AC, won’t do a Canadian on 120v AC much good. And usually, if you are powering more than 3 or 4 strips, going with a single larger driver to power them all is much more cost effective and will get you a better quality and more efficient power supply, with dimming, waterproofing and better circuit protection.

Also, just a note since you’ve referred to it twice, “lumens are for humans”, PAR is the best measure of light intensity for plants. There is a significant difference between the two.

5 Likes

Sure thing, only it’s not always more cost effective all the time as indicated, and there is no ‘one size fits all’. Besides, redundancy in a light is a good thing. All lights fail and losing the whole light because of one strip is simply poor design IMHO. Also though I would not typically power a lot of strips with these, but rather build a custom supply from a large PSU, I have found that to be the best overall solution because it can be easily expanded and be integrated with and arduino based timer/relay setup. I’m figuring the OP is not stupid and can work out a likewise option if they so chose to, it’s good to know what the options are. Again redundancy in my opinion is a key part of any quality light design, so wherever possible single points of failure are best avoided. Also the OP could buy from Digikey where shipping will be free if they spend more than $100. We also have taxes and duties in this part of the world so I am sure the OP can work it out. Our dollar is about similar.

Thanks. I am aware of the difference, thing is though that for the average Joe, PAR is going to be about as useful as tits on a bull, no offence. Again, lumens in this context is being used as a crude but useful measurement of brightness, so as a simple measure, a combination of wattage, lumens/watt in combination with the colour spectrum graphs delivered by the light is for the most part a perfectly adequate way to ascertain how ‘generally’ productive the lights will be. So PAR being between 400 and 700 nanometers, all you need to do is to aim for the maximum efficiency in the luminair output between these two values as indicated in their spectrum graph.

2 Likes

Just gonna drop it out there that your misinformation cost me over a grand in a week in duties. you couldn’t be arsed to amend the flat rate shipping. So sent over 11 boxes. Now I’m not saying the general consumer is gonna buy 11 boxes but the point is.

Your prices posted in the above message are not what anyone outside the US is gonna pay. So stop pitching it like that. People want clarity I’ll give it them first hand. My opinion is You have a good product with decent prices but only for people stateside. Anywhere else not so great.

6 Likes

** To re-clarify: there are many options available today to LED buyers around the world. SolStrips are one option. We believe that, as one of the few LED strip products designed specifically to create customized horticultural lighting systems, SolStrips offer a unique value proposition vis-a-vis other LED components designed for commercial and industrial lighting applications. Whether that proposition is deemed worth their cost - including any attendant shipping and taxes required to get the product from point A to point B - is a subjective judgment that can only be made by the customer. We at SolStrips will do whatever we can (short of lobbying 30 countries to eliminate their import duties) to help our customers understand and benefit from that value.**

Sorry for the distraction everyone, but I cannot allow our hard work to be slandered.

2 Likes

Slain, your misinformation seems endless.

An LED strip circuit that is wired in parallel, as we recommend for SolStrips, will not “all fail” if one strip fails (which by the way, has never occurred with SolStrips). The very nature of the parallel circuit prevents this, which you would know if you knew basic circuit design, let alone “quality light design”. You point to an Ebay-listed driver in Australia and then suggest the same can be purchased in Canada from Digikey with free shipping - is this a theoretical option or real one? Are you offering a real suggestion to the OP or just trolling now?

I’d say the reverse is more true. Lumens measures light visible to humans, which highly over-weights green wavelengths. Green light is the spectrum of least use to plants. Lumens doesn’t measure deep blue or deep red spectrum at all. Deep blue and deep red are the most important wavelengths for plant growth. Because of this, a highly efficient, high PAR output LED can have a very low lumen output, and probably should, because green light is not nearly as critical for plant growth. This chart illustrates the differences between lumens and PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) well:

So, how exactly does the “average Joe” do this “aiming”? Where does one find the “maximum efficiency in the luminair” indicated in their “spectrum graph”? Why not just use the correct measure for the intended use?

@cdnBuddy, we appreciate your decision to purchase a SolStrip system and look forward to working with you in the future when you are ready to expand.

1 Like