Vernal's Basement Follies

To tack on to your awesome write-up: Be careful on ordering the bubble bags and check them when you get them, I’ve ordered from amazon and directly through bubblebagdude and both times I was sent the wrong bags. Ordered 5gallon bags and was sent 25 gallon bags with the 5gallon bag sticker and paperwork on it, so yeah, take them out of the black bag they come in and check them while you still have a return window.

And dry ice sift is amazingly quick and easy!
My local grocery store sells dry ice for $1.99/lb, need about a pound per ounce of material you’re going to sift.

Use a hammer or something to break up the dry ice into little chunks maybe an inch in diameter or so, doesn’t need to be exact. Don’t touch this stuff with your bare-hands, can super easily and quickly give you frostbite.

You’re still gonna use the all mesh bubble bags, specifically only the 220 bag.
You’ll also need a long table or flat surface, as flat as possible and preferably at least 4ft long.

Pour your trim/herb into the 220 bag, pour the dry ice on top and let it sit for 3-5min to get everything frozen. Then pick up the bag and start shaking the bag over the table/surface. The sift literally just pours out, stop when it starts turning green(~2min) and discard your trim/herb/dry ice and collect all that sweet sweet dry sift.

Literally did 6 ounces in about 5 minutes worth of work(shaking). It took longer to set up, or to collect the hash, then it did to actually sift it out :rofl:

14 Likes

Maybe I can afford the bags this coming month. You guys convinced me. I miss hash…

Thanks for all the great info!

8 Likes

Some of my Wormwood v2 [(Triangle Kush x '88 G13/HP IBL) x Bandaid Haze IX] ladies at 15 days.
Moderate stretch, I can see a lot of the father in these, should take 70-80 days.

17 Likes

That sounds really interesting. Looking good, too.

3 Likes

I’m not super familiar with the bandaid. Is this from the doc d line?

3 Likes

This thread has a bunch of the bandaid haze info along with an indepth post from @vernal on it. It is from the Doc D line originally.

8 Likes

Haha thanks saved me a lengthy typeup.

4 Likes

Looks good my man… you top at about the 3rd node?

3 Likes

Sometimes fourth, sometimes fifth. I take 2 branches off each seed plant to clone so there’s a layer of branches that aren’t there.

6 Likes

'79 Christmas Bud x Bandaid Haze IX a little over 2 weeks in. I expected it to be more “in the middle” morphologically between the extreme squat, no stretch, inbred Afghani that was Christmas Bud, and the extremely tall Bandaid Haze line. While it definitely stretches more than the mother, has more vigor, faster veg time, etc, it still looks like it landed far closer to the mother. This might just be an unusual plant, it’s the first female I’ve flowered from the cross; I have another one vegging now for the next run.

Christmas Bud looks to be extremely dominant in crosses, even to haze hybrids. It might make a better pairing to an even more extreme tropical landrace sativa. I don’t consider it a failure, I’m sure the bud will be excellent, but it’s not exactly what I’m looking for structurally at the moment. The plan is to use one of the Bandaid Haze crosses to make a Bandaid Haze BX line, one with a bit more yield and less stretch, while maintaining what makes Bandaid Haze so special.

It is looking like the (TK x G13HP) x Bandaid Haze is a more promising avenue. Much better structure so far, extremely vigorous, smelly. I suppose we’ll see when it flowers out, as that is the biggest consideration. It is possible that although the '79 Christmas Bud x Bandaid Haze IX cross isn’t the correct structure, a backcross with another Bandaid Haze line might be exactly perfect. We’ll see.

Oh, and here’s my winner SSH x Super Skunk (from clone this time) at just under 2 weeks:

Just a solid plant. It’s quick, smelly, strong, yields well, dumps hash, easy trim, perfect structure, vigorous, strong stems, what else could you ask for?

20 Likes

Could also try using the 79’ Christmas Bud as a male in the cross instead of the female, if you can? Maybe that way there’d be less of a heavy influence and more of the haze might shine through?

That’s my only thought to add on to what you already mentioned. Both the pics look great though!

3 Likes

Possible, but I imagine it’d go the same way. Crosses don’t necessarily favor the female used. Since Christmas Bud is extremely inbred and uniform, I would imagine it’d be the same. I do have a few more beans available, but I’ve gotten other Christmas Bud crosses, and those also heavily favored the Christmas Bud line.

5 Likes

Ah gotcha! My understanding was the female was usually favored in the cross but I have zero hands-on experience with it myself. Hoping to start this christmas :wink: Sounds like you’re right though if she’s coming out strong in the other crosses too regardless. Guess that’s why they say you ideally want both parents to be inbred lines for the best 50/50 split :thinking:

2 Likes

Did you end up crossing the Mordida to Bandaid Haze? Would love to trade ya something, lmk.

3 Likes

I did. Got a ton available, DM me.

4 Likes

(TK x '88 G13HP IBL) x Bandaid Haze IX 3.0 “Wormwood v2” at 25 days.

The gulf continues to widen between these and the '79 Christmas Bud x Bandaid Haze IX. It is almost certain at this point that I’ll be using a female selected from this line for the Bandaid Haze BX.

Looking through these for a male (and a female of course) to pair to a female from my Bandaid Haze IX 3.0 F2. These are the shorter quicker “sandalwood” F3, which lines up perfectly to my goal of creating a shorter, quicker, chunkier Bandaid Haze.

16 Likes

My cut of SSH x 89 Super Skunk by @Farmerjoe420 at 23 days. All bud top-to-bottom. She’ll be harvested at 60 days. God I love this plant. I wanna make an F2 of this eventually when the Bandaid Haze project winds down. It’s too good to not preserve, glad I have plenty of beans to find a suitable male.

@Purple-N-Hairy, this bud’s for you!

17 Likes

Very nice training job on that 1st haze pic.

3 Likes

lol…thanks @vernal! If I showed you what I have in my flower room and ready to go into it by Monday, you’ll see why I haven’t popped those seeds yet. However, I am stoked that you’re showing us how she grows and what I have to look forward to; or should I say - aspire to!

6 Likes

'79 Christmas Bud Afghani IBL x Bandaid Haze IX 3.0 a little over 30 days in. Chunking up beautifully. Smells floral, resinous, perfumey. Very pleasant, just like mom and dad.

It smells better than the (TK xG13HP) x Bandaid Haze, which has this foul chemdog thing going on. It is time for me to admit to myself that I really don’t care for the burnt rubber, foul, bad breath/body odor smell that many people seem to love. Weed should smell good haha.

Maybe this plant would be a better jumping off point for the Bandaid Haze BX. Christmas Bud is very dominant in crosses, but a 75% Bandaid Haze/25% Christmas Bud line might be where it’s at. We’ll see; it’s very early in flower; over a month to go. Another cross of Bandaid Haze should reduce the squat leafiness and hopefully end up at a “normal” sized plant that has the magic of Bandaid Haze in a manageable package.

23 Likes