Vintage Kentucky Red Hair strain

Wow, keeping on with the legacy, nice going. One of the first kinds my bro ever toked was some Jamaican red hair and he was always looking forward to finding more but never did. Good luck on your grow!

2 Likes

Well if it all goes well id be happy to get your brother some seeds. Hopefully this strain is a gem. Im gonna find out.

5 Likes

That’s some cool looking cannabis @ChinookKing . Awesome that your buddy decided to share them instead of shelve, or worse, trash em. Good luck on the preservation. Go for regs as well, if you’re trying to preserve them. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Like everyone else said 47years must be special. You can do a reg seed run which is good to get out there for pheno hunting but you can also reverse small parts of a plant and selectively pollinate as long as you mark your spots can make more f1s and some s1s in the same plant!

4 Likes

Well unfortunately he passed at the age of 23 due to an unfortunate fire in the camper he was staying in, but HIS bro (me lol) wouldn’t mind trying some. Lol

2 Likes

A beautiful plant. I’m very curious what the aromatics are like? If there’s cinnamon/ginger/spice aromatics like other red haired strains as mentioned in this thread, I wonder if there’s some that express more bourbon / whiskey aromatics? Could be cool coincidence if you found a phenotype like that and worked it :crossed_fingers:

Repeating what has already been said, but I think it would be the best of both worlds to feminize choice phenotypes for further selection while also running an open pollination run with all the plants that you get from this seed. Not going to argue with UC Davis, but there’s a chance a male may express a (non sex-linked) phenotype that a female plant does not, just because you are only working with 23 seeds, not a few hundred. I would hate to see something special be lost, since 47 years is a long time.

6 Likes

“Only cull once numbers permit it” should be gospel :raised_hands:

And if I may, the “bottlenecking” in going straight to fem isn’t because the plants are females but because you use half the plants assuming 50/50 sex ratio.

2>1

Of course you have the final say etc

4 Likes

not that the uc davis folks don’t know what they’re doing but it isn’t bottlenecking the gene pool that’s the issue, it’s introducing hermies to the line. at least that’s what i heard 20 years ago, maybe it was wrong then and everyone dropped it. the other reason i suggested running regulars first is to get more than 23 to pop and be able to choose from a larger selection in the first place. then you can pick the best ones and clone them to make fem seeds.

You can purchase an Agile baritone 7 string for around $300 or less (got mine for $200) and it’s a whole new world of brutal drop tune tunings. Trust me you will not regret it.

3 Likes

I’m going to side with the regular seeds side of this. If all that is made is female seeds your at a severe disadvantage later for a seed increases.
These sound like a great strain, hope your seed increase is successful

7 Likes

Take a look at these nugs. They are hell to trim and all hairs. Maybe I didn’t let it go long enough but it was starting to pop out to many male pollen sacks so I had to chop. What do I do with it?

6 Likes

You could try to smoke it… that would be my first action.

16 Likes

I guess I could but I am spoiled by how good my other stuff came out that I dont even want to smoke this hairy thing. But I will… for science.

Ok i smoked some of that bud pictured (trimmed one). It wasn’t bad, not harsh like I expected. Not good either. Just ho hum but smoke was smooth. I am sufficiently high as well. It has been curing for 50 days or so. Cant describe the flavor because there isn’t any. I have another of the same strain that is looking better and will come down tonight or soon.

6 Likes

Gift to the homeless if you really don’t want it :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

now there’s a great idea!! someone would love to have that i’d bet.

2 Likes

Hash and tintures.

1 Like

Sounds like a someone’s great passion. I would do as large an open pollination as you first can as a first step. This will secure the largest selection of genotypes for future selections . :gorilla: .

2 Likes

@Familytradition found it!

Thank you!

Anybody know how to get ahold of this guy?

1 Like