Websites to learn growing basics

Hey I’m NEW NEW NEW to growing anything. Let alone marijuana. I want to learn so bad! Can anyone give me some awesome sites that might help. And where can I buy my seeds? Thank you!

4 Likes

This thread taught me how to grow:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=98419

Find a space with an outlet, buy a tent, buy a fan, buy a light, buy nutrients, buy buckets, buy media.
Expect to spend several hundred dollars. You can set up a 3x3 tent for about $750. It is the only hobby that pays for itself so don’t sweat the cash.

Members here who sell seeds include @BogSeeds and @Baudelaire they sell the proven classics for reasonable prices.

14 Likes

Thank you so much!

Welcome to growing cannabis.

There are a lot of different routes you can take. Realistically it’s easier for you to do your own independent research so you can figure out what grow method Best suits you.

Indoors or outdoors?
What’s your budget?
Are you growing in soil or more hydro?

3 Likes

https://overgrow.com/

Clones can be good for growing practice.

5 Likes

lots of useful threads in the forum, feel free to use the search function to look for whatever topic you’re interested in

as for seeds, check out the sponsored section of the forum theres lots of places in there

1 Like

Welcome to the cannabis community @Rxiara25
What it’s it your looking to gain from this plant? Do you like Sativas or Indica or hybrid?
so many seeds out there so in order to point you in the right direction for seeds,the answers to these questions will help myself and others help you…
I myself prefer the Sativas.
They can be a bit picky but anyways I won’t let this stoned mind ramble on,
welcome .

2 Likes

If your going soil, soulless media type growing read books by Lowenfels , videos and lectures of Elaine Ingram , Ed Rosenthal, Jorge Cervantes are great reads also for getting started lots of info amongs these threads also welcome to OG @Rxiara25!

2 Likes

You’ve already found the best place learn , it’s right here , what are you thinking of doing ?
Check out soak n beans for seeds , they have. baked beanz , calyx bros and others too

: )

7 Likes

Always ask the community what you need to know no better place to figure things out

4 Likes

Welcome to OG @Rxiara25.

You are already here!
There’s no need for you to go through everything a lot of us older heads had to go through to learn to grow this plant… the knowledge and how-to of the members here at OG is all you need!
Unless… you like to read… and there is a lot to read through!

7 Likes

@Rxiara25 Here’s a link to downloadThe Rev’s True living organics book in PDF format. Enjoyhttps://freecannabis.com/forums/resources/tlo-true-living-organics.19/

3 Likes

Has anyone listed a site called overgrow.com I hear theres alotbof knowledge over there

5 Likes

Bunch of wise-asses.

@vernal’s suggested thread is great. His price quote is reasonable for a hobbyist grow but absolutely not required. Your first grow will not likely pay for itself. Growing only pays for itself if you are very good and able to sell to select clients or willing to risk felony charges. Many of us can grow legally. Few of us can sell legally without submitting to government oversight.

$700 is a significant barrier to entry to most people. You DO NOT* need to spend that much up front. You can, and it will make your life easier and probably make your weed better but it’s not necessary. People here will send you perfectly good (great if you get lucky or know how to ask nice) seeds for postage.

You can start in a bag of dirt with a Compact Florescent screw-in bulb or sunny, southern window, a heating mat (or other warm flat appliance) and inexpensive soil. Find a high nitrogen fert for the first half of your trial. If you can move them outdoors before or around the equinox, and pull back the nitrogen at the same time, you can get to harvest with not much more than that and water.
That’s what I did my first grow last summer. Harvested two and a half (out of four) trees and 2000+ S1 seeds.

If money is an issue, $100 up front and $100 in reserve for incidentals (you may discover a desire for fancy clippers.) A little ingenuity, a little luck and attention and you will have sun-grown cannabis curing in your cupboard all next year.

*Caps in honor of a recently departed friend who would not necessarily agree with this message.

When I started up bought a tent 100 bought a light used 1000w hps for 75 it came with air cooled hood and ballast. I bought a new bulb 125 and nutes, media, net cups, 100 cheap ass Amazon pH pen got a new 6" inline fan on offer up for $20. Air pump and stones was like 40 on Amazon and some totes from home Depot. So for 450 not bad to that setup. You can get when cheaper if you can find the stuff cheaper

True, I’ve seen people grow weed in cat litter boxes, but I too believe it’s easier and pays for itself better (and better quality, CFL nugs are…sad lol).

$750 assumes you buy everything new and American brand names. You can easily whittle it down to about $500 buying Amazon Chinese gear, or buying used gear. If you smoke $150 worth of ganja a month it pays for itself very quickly. There are advantages to paying hydro store markup, sometimes it pays to be able to return something easily, especially things like lights.

I do not recommend cheaping out on lights and fans (safety is important and cheap fans are LOUD trust me on this), pretty much everything else go nuts. I buy cheap nutrients and I grow in used pickle buckets.

A big problem for new growers is the flood of information. There’s 1000 ways to grow weed, but I feel like starting with a simple, proven, step by step recipe leads to success. It is also easy to identify and correct mistakes in soilless hydro. Soilless hydro is also more intuitive for most than active hydroponics, and no moving parts.

1 Like

There’s threads on IC with more content than this entire site haha. I’m not knocking OG, I like it here, just saying there’s some threads there extremely helpful to beginners on a budget. It taught me how to grow successfully the first time I tried it. There aren’t really a lot of illustrated beginner guides on here.

Holy shit guys… it was a smart ass joke suggesting he take a look around. Lol

3 Likes

You can buy seeds from great lakes genetics there out of Michigan and will ship to anywhere in the country you just mail them either cash or a money order and they will send you your seeds in a pretty timely matter and they have tons of great strains!!!

1 Like