Wedding Cake on the deck :)

defoliate so light can penetrate and so there’s more air going thru so less potential for mold and bud rot.

prune lowers that wont get enough light. you dont want the plant to be spending energy on larf

1 Like

I feel that it’s all about what you want to deal with at the end… if don’t trim some now you have a lot to trim later… and a lot of what you will be trimming will want be of quality I’m think if you just let it go

1 Like

Current light stats:
Length of Day
14 h 37 m
Tomorrow will be 2 minutes 24 seconds shorter.

I’m thinking of switching my nutes over to Vicious Tiger Bloom next weekend. We’ve got a ways to go before we hit 12/12…but closer every week.

Thoughts?

Lob

1 Like

And today’s pic…I try to keep the bottom of the window in the shed even with the deck rail so that the pics are the same perspective.

4 Likes

A week later, here’s the next pic from yesterday.
She’s still looking pretty happy… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wedding cake on the deck almost sounds like a honeymoon activity.

2 Likes

Don’t trim off the sun leaves! The plant uses them to absorb energy. When the plant starts to bud, it will take care of the situation all by itself by concentrating energy (nitrogen) away from sun leaves and into the buds. The trimming i do: While plants are young 5, 6 nodes, I will trim off the lowest branches. Then when the next 1 o 2 nodes develop take off the next low branches. I constantly rub off growth at branch nodes up 2 or 3 nodes and further up the branch as the plant develops. This is because they won’t develop meaningful buds. This can become a bit intensive if you are topping your plant a few times. When leaves show the first signs of yellowing, I add a little Cal/Mag, some organic 1-3-1 and a little iron/zink and I might add just a little organic Nitrogen. That’s it. I trim off full yellow sun leaves and let the plant develop itself from there. Some people say stressing plants make for better or stronger smoke. I don’t believe that theory. I understand it’s natural to fiddle with your plants, cutting, trimming adding all sorts of nutrients etc. I say make it easy and a happy plant is a strong plant.

2 Likes

I’ve heard the same thing about stress/strength before, especially regarding jalapenos. “If you want 'em HOT, dry the plant out every week or two!”
I don’t believe I’ve read any science behind that theory. Not saying it’s not true, just saying I haven’t researched it much.

Lob

1 Like

That’s interesting about the jalapenos. I’ve got annehimes a nd another pepper supposed to be at east mildly hot and so far they’ve not had any heat. Think I’ll let them dry out a bit and see if does the trick. Your plant looking like a winner.

1 Like

Very pretty!

I did do a bit of lite trimming on the base/interior. I’m not too worried about airflow, we’re on a hill with an almost constant breeze, but I did get rid of the bottom growth that’s not going to turn into anything ever.

Lob

Well…things are changing :slight_smile: You can see the branches “stretching”…and there are little fuzzy things appearing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We probably have about 6-7wks before the first frost, so we’ll see how she does on the final stretch. The two plants down back in the garden are in the same stage.

Can’t wait to make some Wedding Cake Caramels :slight_smile:

1 Like

that plant looks huge! Very healthy looking. How big is the container - could you drag inside to avoid frost or rain?

I’ve found that being up on a raised deck makes a big difference with pests vs. containers sitting the ground. Much better for bugs getting on them. My deck would be perfect but only 2-3 hours of sun per day, you’ve got a nice sunny lot

I think she’s 3ft, maybe a bit more. Container is a 27gal.
I think buds will be ripe before first frost, and if not, I’ll toss a sheet over them for overnight.

1 Like

You’re gonna want to bring that fig inside, I had the same cultivar, and I too am in zone 5.
I had two, and both froze to death over the winter. Pissed me off as I had a few small figs and was hoping the following year I would get a larger crop.

Yeah…that’s in the plan. First frost here usually around mid-October, it’ll be relocated before then. Trying to decide if we keep it in our living space, or put it in the basement.
Living space is winning so far…it’s pretty heavy :wink:

Lob

We’ve got roughly 1 month before possible first frost…but last night it was down to 50 deg. What temp do cannabis plants stop growing?..I thought I read somewhere that they stop around 50deg?
This is a problem that every northern grower faces if they’re growing outdoors…you just run out of time.
Even if growth stops, will buds continue to mature?

Lob

I noticed I had quite a few leaves that were yellowing, friend of mine who’s a much better gardener than me said it was a nitrogen deficiency…so I hit the gurlz with some calcium nitrate yesterday.
2 days of soaking rain in the forecast, so we’ll see if they start to green up.

3 Likes

Two days of solid rain here on the coast of Maine.
Took a Wedding Cake on the Deck shot from indoors.
I think she looks pretty good so far…just hope we have enough time left for her to finish up.

There are 2 more just like her in the back yard :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

6 Likes