Wedding Cake on the deck :)

Looks like a verrrrrry healthy lady. If early frosts are a worry, have you tried auto flowers? a friend up in Washington has similar weather only it’s cool 50’s and rain rather than frost and his auto’s have been cut, dried and jarred already.
P.S. Leaves naturally will start to yellow as buds build into colas. A lot depends on genetics. But just before or in 1st stages of budding it is typical to feed only a little N and a little more P,K. Once the colas get big and sticky, rain and even dew can initiate bud rot especially with high humidity.

1 Like

Thanks. Luckily we live on a hill beside a river, and there is almost always a good breeze, so I think that helps with the bud rot.
I haven’t tried autos yet, but my neighbor bought one not even knowing what an “auto” was. I gave him some of my Wedding Cake clones, and the difference is striking in terms of how far along the buds are. The auto is really filled out, I posted pics over on the bud pics forum. That got me thinking about the time situation. I’m hoping I can get another 3-4wks before a frost. And it’s really not just the frost…we’ll be getting much cooler temps soon, and my understanding is that when temps dip below 50, cannabis basically stops growing.
So we’ll see what happens. I grew 8 plants outdoors last year, and they did pretty well.

Lob

1 Like

Did a pretty good trim on the deck plant yesterday. Thinking 3wks before a frost…

What do you pros think?..are they going to ripen up in time?

Lob

1 Like

Thanks for the video share!

Missing the shed window perspective - lol , by I’d say we got a pretty good idea on the growth

What a monster for a back deck plant!

Seems you’ll do great for a wedding cake yield compared to my experience!

I wonder if you could get a picture Of the trichomes and gauge your chop time from that.

2-3 weeks will bring you to end of September , I would keep an eye on the forecast.

When did you chop your previous years harvest?

last year wasn’t a good year to compare to. I grew 8 plants but grew them all in grow bags. I’ll never do that again, unless I do a drip system for irrigation, and even then it’s doubtful. With the bags, there’s a very high evaporation rate.
This plant on the deck is about 2X the size of the plants from the bag experiment.
I forget first frost date, but I think it was October week 1.

1 Like

Should I be trimming ALL shade leaves at this point? Don’t think I have the trimming thing down yet, and advice seems to be all over the place.

Lob

edit

Just read an article saying fan leaves should NEVER be removed during flower. Whoooooooooopsie.

3 Likes

From a fellow Mainer up here in “THE COUNTY”, I can tell ya, those W.C.'s are looking good. 2 years ago, I grew 'em on the Deck also. We had 1st Frost about 7 - 8 Oct. I made a Plastic Tent and pushed 'em to 1 Nov!!! You’ll be ok, good luck, SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Uh oh!

I have just de fanned My four flowering plants. Whoopsies
I’ve done it on my last one as well, 3 weeks in. Didn’t notice much adverse reaction

I would see if you can tuck any leafs maybe .

From the look and sounds of it, I’d keep doing whatever your doing!

Looks like nice and open for air flow and you have wind on your side .

Can’t offer any advise on outdoor crop .

Looking forward to updates!

1 Like

Maybe we’ll have a whole new strain at some point…Whoopsie Weed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just let the fans yellow until they fall off with just a touch . Their solar collectors helping with all the processes with growth . I don’t top or trim but open the bottom a little mostly to see if anything is coiled up under my plants . I do spread the branches as they grow through the trellis netting

2 Likes

Last year I harvested on Oct 8th. I think that was due as much to poor plant health as frost dates, but not sure. As I mentioned before, I had trouble with the fabric 7gal GrowBags.

Wife’s new phone just came in, Google Pixel 5a, which I believe has a better camera than my Moto G7, so once I get her moved over, I’ll take some pics with that and see how it does zoomed in on trichomes.

Lob

Grabbed a bud photo this morning…figuring a good 3-4wks before frost if all goes well :slight_smile:

That’s the gurl up on the deck. The plants down back by the beds get more sunlight, I’ll try and grab a bud pic of those later.

5 Likes

A few shots of the 2 plants down back. They don’t get as much attention, but get a few hours more sunshine due to their location.

9 Likes

Its a weed :wink: It doesn’t need much attention. Seems your “ignored” ladies down back fared better than mine did with slugs this year. Looks great!!!

And now the all important question: Is it time???
I’ve read that you should harvest when 75% of your pistils turn brown and they curl back towards the plant. I’m leaving tomorrow for 5 days. Should I harvest some of these now, or wait until next weekend?

Lob

2 Likes

when to harvest will receive varied replies. In my experience much depends on genetics and environment. Mel Frank’s book, which many consider one the “Bibles” of cannabis, agrees with you. 3/4 of pistles turn brown. Some say when you start seeing resin glands turning dark. The more dark resin glands, the less “high” and the more"relaxed" the smoke because those dark glands are the THC turning to CBD & CBN. So if you want pot for bed time, harvest later. If you want a more active “high” harvest earlier. If you want to experient, harvest some earlier and some later. If you do that, be sure to mark name and date on a slip of paper and hang it with the drying pot. Enjoy!

1 Like

Just returned from 5 days away… I have some mild budrot on a few stems, but we’re forecasted to get 3 days of rain over the weekend, so I’m thinking of whacking everything today and bringing it inside to hang and start to dry.

Lob

1 Like

got a new picture? It seems like so much weight is packed on right at the end, its a shame to chop early. I guess it depends on how much time you have to watch it. Its a good time to be checking everything every day if its possible.

Got my first wedding cake going too. It smells sooo good.

1 Like

Didn’t grab a closeup while I was out there…

Lob

5 Likes

Our highs here are hovering around 60 for the next week, and overnight lows are in the low 40s.

Not sure how much more growth I’ll see…

Lob

1 Like