Wedding Cake on the deck :)

I had one clone left…so decided to put it in one of my tubs that I plant some things in out on the deck.

I think she likes it!

45 Likes

Those barrels you see in the background are “cucumber barrels”. Fill a barrel with 50gals of water (about 3" from the top), give it some fertilizer, put a seedling in a 2.5" net pot, and put it in the hole on top of the barrel.
For the entire summer, there is no watering, and no weeding, just picking! Roots follow the water/nutes down to the bottom, which takes a full season to do. You never add water, as it’ll drown your plants…just leave it alone and enjoy fresh cukes!

28 Likes

That’s awesome, VERY nice garden hack

4 Likes

That’s a beautiful plant and the perfect location! I can’t wait to be able to grow on the deck!

1 Like

Nice to see another tote grower!! I gotta try those cucumber barrels next season :peace_symbol:

3 Likes

Those are awesome, will be trying that next year! I will have PLENTY of cukes this year anyway…

Oh and the other plants look great too :smiley: Love the ornamental look to them, like mini japanese maples on your deck LLOL

4 Likes

Thanks. The young one to the right of the Cake is a Chicago Fig, supposed to be hardy to Zone 5, but it’s in a container so I can move it indoors for the winter.
Lovin’ me some fresh figs…

2 Likes

For folks wanting to give the cucumber barrels a go, there’s a guy on youtube with a pretty good bit on it.
Just search and you’ll find Ames Family Homestead, and Gardining with Leon.

I only use food grade barrels, and you can tell by looking at the bottom and finding the recycle triangle. I thinkk a “2” means food grade, but look it up to make sure.

Lob

5 Likes

Just for grins, I’m going to snap a pic of this gurl every few days. I swear she’s growing so fast you can almost sit and watch.
Taken at eye level, you can use the deck rail for reference:

12 Likes

Today’s pick, 2 days since last one, but no sun until today.

7 Likes

Think it’s been 4-5 days since the first pic up top, I think she’s starting to fill out a bit, but maybe that’s just wishful thinking on my part…

8 Likes

Have you harvested a wedding cake before?

Is it considered low yielding?

I had a 3,5ft scraggly wedding cake that yielded very low. But super potent.

Looks like you’ll do alright there!

Beauty back deck

Fingers crossed…
No, first grow with WC. I had 2 indoor plants, which I killed. I have 6 clones growing from those parents, which were seedlings, so we’ll see.

Lob

3 Likes

Going to try the cucumber hack!

2 Likes

Good luck. I think we’ve picked about 3 dozen so far, and they are just getting going.

Sun isn’t quite right…but you can still get an idea…

1 Like

She’s still going strong…can’t wait for her to start popping buds. Probably another month.

4 Likes

So now is time to start gathering advice regarding trimming outdoor plants before they go over to flower.
I have friends that strip every branch and leaf that’s not part of a COLA, which I think is pretty extreme.
I hear folks say “You want the plant focusing it’s energy on the buds, NOT the leafy growth below the canopy.”. My problem with that approach is that it feels like it’s true if there’s a limited amount of nutes and water available. You’d certainly want that going to the buds. But in a case where there’s virtually unlimited resources, in other words, the plants get feed and watered on a regular basis, there is no competition for resources…so does it really matter?
Additionally, when you trim, you open the plant up to being more susceptible to various diseases?

Let the discussion begin, I’ve got lots of popcorn :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I grew a couple similar-sized patio plants last year. I regretted staying with a container about that size. it’s going to get small quickly in flower, even though you’re bottle-feeding.

kinda late for it…but if it were me, a pretty good haircut, like 80 gallons of dirt and some stakes would be on the menu.

very nice-looking plant! best of luck with whatever you decide. :slightly_smiling_face:

P.S. be ready for the pests!

I’ve grown the past two summers outdoors, never had an issue with pests…

Yet. :slight_smile: