Western Drought

Just been speaking to my daughter in Kelowna BC, they 45C yesterday its a lot earlier than normal, saying it could be up in the mid 50’s by August if not earlier.

7 Likes

!
Wow, what’s your elevation?

First I’d heard of this. Interesting
http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/noloFAQ.html

Paul Stamets was supposed to have made a fungal vector that not only killed every carpenter ant it infected but also inoculate permanently any building it was applied to.
Haven’t seen it on the market yet.

2 Likes

I have been doing my part this year. I’m barely watering my lawn, I havent even had to mow it yet. No outdoor veggies.

We are using our aquifer again this summer for the second year. No surface water diversions. Everything is dry as tinder, I’m waiting for the fires to come…

5 Likes

BC broke a heat record from 1937 46.1°c a day or two ago.

4 Likes

I think he, Paul Stamets, talks about this some in his TED talk too.

3 Likes

Southern Cali is bone dry. Year 6 or 7 of drought. My garden is suffering from zero rain, since I have to handwater my huge lot everything suffers from uneven watering. A lot of my flowers started forming real nicely and as summer approached many just turned brown and croaked. My front and back lawn has basically been dead for a few years now. It hangs on by a thread with the tiny bit of water I give it. However, I water the shit outta my cannabis, gotta have big buds! lol. But yeah, it’s dire.

Heading to Palm Springs today for a spa getaway. It’s 76 at my house right now and 110 in the desert. What were we thinking when we booked this? lol. Eh, there will be lot’s of water at the spa and mineral springs. Thank dog!

5 Likes

Smart move.
I imagine that must weigh pretty heavy on you so a diversion like this will work wonders.

1 Like

Y’all need to start planting some acacia’s, you can prune them twice a year, creating shade, nitrogen reserves and mulch pretty fast. It creates a chain effect resulting in a draught proof environment.

Once they are big you can start fruit trees under them, covercrops, etc.

And gotta stop mowing if you wanna regenerate your garden.

5 Likes

Have you had to evacuate before?

I was the last one let through the road near Seney Wildlife refuge years back when it burned and it was touch and go several times as the fire was jumping the road around me.
Worst part was the streams of thick choking smoke. Hot and full of sparks and embers.
Cop at the other end couldn’t believe they let me through.

2 Likes

I’m so happy I set up an extra 55 gallon water barrel this year. My lawn is clover after years of seeding it so I don’t have to water it anymore. I’ve redirected all my roof water into our backyard or the barrels so the in ground stuff gets a good soaking IF it rains.

In the spring I installed a kijiji aqcuired 150gallon pond so with this, my year round waterfall pond (about 40 gallons), and the clawfoot tub lily pond I have a few micro climates that are helping both me and the wildlife.

I’ve even had to add a secondary bee water station because we have more Blue Daubers than ever due to a bug explosion so I want these beauties hydrated for the kill. :laughing:

6 Likes

it was so hot today the thermometer definitely registered a new all-time high for my area at 40C! Crisped up some of the more sensitive plants outside, yet the greenhouse remains at full bore 50C. Guess the zero waste is good for something, yikes!

5 Likes

Doing it right!

3 Likes

lol
June beetles devour what little fescue I can grow and by summer’s end my “lawn” is pockmarked by skunks who dig every night for their grubs.
For some reason white dutch clover won’t get established in my lawn, supposedly one of the most adaptable of lawn seed.
Broadcast 7lbs of seed during the rain this weekend in one more attempt.

2 Likes

?
What’s that?

I’m at 6400’ elev. Our air is really clean so that sun really beats down. We’re having a rare cloudy week with 52-68º temps and rain on and off. So cool.

That was me last year. I mowed twice. This year is insane. I had to buy a “real” weed eater this year and it has helped immensely. When I’m finished mowing and weed eating it’s time to start again, lol… I’ll gladly take it, especially with the heat everywhere this year… man, 116 or some crazy stuff up in BC??? whoa. Whatever it was it was the highest ever recorded temp in Canadian history. Same in Wash., and Or. Insane temps for that region.

Man, I hope people begin to take this climate stuff seriously. It could be the new best job producing industry in a long time.

3 Likes

oh that’s the greenhouse hydroponics system where no water can dribble out, they are non-draining so the water stays in there and nothing runs out. I can chunk 10 liters in there and let it slowly absorb.

3 Likes

I figured out a good use for the heat wave: drying my hair!

It usually takes a good 1-2 days to dry but at this temp it was about 30 min.

:laughing:

11 Likes

I have seen raccoons rip up fresh sod like they are removing old carpet.

5 Likes

Aeration. :+1:
And their droppings fertilization.

2 Likes

We are just now breaking records set between 1900, 1910 and 1937 for heat. We will get a series of cold winters following some years of hot summers. My parents remember skating on a lot of the local ponds growing up, but my grand parents said they never could as it was always too warm when they were kids

6 Likes