Western Drought

Just wondering if our Western Buds are having trouble hanging through what sounds to be a very tough time.

8 Likes

It’s been a bitch we finally have had 2 rains this week.
Our lake is down 3’ already.

5 Likes

3 ft!
Is your dock high and dry?
Here in MI we’ve just had 3-4" of rain this weekend breaking our mini drought.
It got me to thinking about some long lost Western freinds, last I’d heard all their mesquite trees had died.

6 Likes

NASA has reported the world is drying out. The heat stored in the oceans isn’t helping either! Heat wave here in the west, record temps above 40C. Unheard of. Not really sure what’s going to happen this year but it’s extremely dry already. It rains but drys out faster than the rain can fall.

8 Likes

Colorado has been on track for a pretty bad drought year. We finally got some rain on the front range this weekend, but up in the mountains and on the Western slope things aren’t so good. Usually the fires don’t start until later in the year, but with the record heat and dryness, they’re already starting.

Things are a lot worse around AZ and UT. I think it’s gonna be another rough summer.

9 Likes

Weren’t you guys hammered with heavy snows last winter?

3 Likes

It wasn’t a bad snow season, but it has to last into the summer. And with the temps getting up there so quickly this year and hitting early season records, I think peak runoff happened earlier than usual. So that means by late summer there will probably be pretty widespread drought again this year.

We had good snow the year before as well, but really bad fires in September/October.

7 Likes

I got a foot, just bought another 40’ worth of dock

4 Likes

Wanted to add that one commodity trader, Dave Dubyne has a website and yt channel says these are cyclical phenomenon and have occurred in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-5dIHmtQzHIdNCs7-bEdCA

7 Likes

I’m sure, everything is cyclical.
Then they try to blame it on global.
There definitely is some change but the earth don’t stay in the same place on the same axis.

6 Likes

They just found more dinosaur eggs in the Arctic this last week, so what your saying rings.

EDIT
Shoot, wrong link

3 Likes

It’s already burning in AZ.

3 Likes

That is definitely freshening the oceans with fresh water and could cause a dropping of the temps globally.

1 Like

I personally haven’t seen much for grasshopper issues yet her along the eastern slopes for the amount of heat we’ve had so far I’m impressed with the amount of green pastures still around haven’t received much in our area but it’s spotty as always hoping the moisture has helped in the fire efforts on the western slope

3 Likes

I’ve only experienced one significant drought and that was back in '88.

Lived near Holland MI at the time and the corn fields reeked of manuring in 104F heat and no rain for months.
Now I’m in the backwoods and surrounded by thousands of acres of mainly conifers and we’ve been hit by several fire warnings this year already.

2 Likes

The solution is permaculture, it creates strong resistance against droughts and floods.
Zaytuna farm is a prime example of this.

3 Likes

Bill Mollison is an Aussie too.
They have a permanent drought going it seems.

2 Likes

hah hah yah this is the solar cycle where humanity contaminates the atmosphere and dies from the side effects. It’ll be poetic when we all run out of water and kill each other for the last drop.

5 Likes

In the five years I’ve been here in southern Colorado, we’ve been mostly in drought conditions. One year wasn’t. First two years I was here, we had a grasshopper infestation. It was fucked up. I was doing work for the lady that owned this house at the time and she bought some of the Nola Bait and I treated her yard. It really worked well. There were some the next year but they continued to decline rapidly.

It creates a fungus that kills the grasshopper and if another grasshopper eats the sick ones, which they do, they catch it, too. Then even if they hatch they’ll have it and as they get sick mire eat them and they get sick, rinse repeat. They say it’s the gift that keeps on giving.

I’ve seen a few this year but they’re starting to disappear already. While our state is mostly in drought, where I’m at we’re in sort of a bubble. We had some odd record rainfall in May, and it rose our low lake level around 12 feet. We finally had a 2 week hot and dry spell that was drying things up pretty fast, but got another good heavy downpour the other day and it’s rainy and cloudy for a week now.

July is our normal monsoon season here and even in drought conditions it always did rain more than other months. So, if that is normal this year, we’re gonna be looking pretty good. It’s odd because it’s usually us in drought.

The NW and the NE are getting hammered with the heat waves this week. It was 52 here this morning! Still 58, and cloudy drizzly. Nothing seems to be normal any more.

I hope to finally get me a shade cloth this week and I’m going to try and create a new climate change space to grow my weed, lol… The sun in June here kills plants cause it’s too intense. I got it cleaned out and have to finish a few things. Hail damage is tough around here if you don’t protect plants or be home to be able to move potted plants to safety, you can get completely wiped out by one storm.

Stay cool! :hot_face: :skull:

4 Likes

Looks like your the next dessert, things never stay the same and you’re not far from the dessert now as it is.
Makes since

4 Likes