Western Drought

H20 - Californication style.

3 Likes

Man you got some long locks, you must have strong neck muscles.

Do you ever stand on it getting up out of a chair, and fall over backwards. I used to do that all the time with my safety harness rope when I was working out on the edge of buildings, damn safety rope nearly had me over rhe edge several times.

4 Likes

California needs to kick Nestly out, its taking more and more water out of your reservoirs every year and selling it back to you in bottles.

9 Likes

Very strong neck yes. 25+ years of whipping these things around in mosh pits. Kids don’t like spilling 12$+ watered down beer when the locks fly so i get to see the stage every time :laughing:

5 Likes

7 Likes

grasshoppers are a bitch! They cleaned out my lettuce seedlings last fall, they can jump over fences that keep rabbits out

Mother Earth News once had an article about some market gardener who made a “chicken moat” around his crops.
Genius.

5 Likes

I’d go with turkeys!

2 Likes

Yeah I live in AZ and the saguaros have blooms on the sides of the tops, a last ditch effort to put out seeds before they die. The Desert Mueseum here in town says it’s from bad droughts for a number of years running. We’re seriously getting concerned about the supply of water from the Colorado River down here over the next decade as every stop along the way will grow consuming more water before it even makes it to the desert!!

3 Likes

I too have been encouraging more clover and less grass with overseeding clover and using a different fertilizer, more P/K and less N. Yard is about 1/2 clover by area now. Handles drought better than grass, stays green longer and forms a thicker carpet. Most of the Midwest has good soil and plentiful rain but we are in a bit of a drier microclimate with very sandy soil so I have to make adjustments.

I’m in the upper midwest and it’s been hotter than hell since May…dry too. We only got 1/2" of rain in all of May which is unheard of.

1 Like

DUDE THAT IS BRRUUUTAL.

Our freak weather continues. 62° atm with more rain. Storms coming and going. 56° for the low tonight. Strange but I’m loving it.

Climate change or just another cycle ? California has had mega drought’s in the past lasting hundreds of years . Evidence in Fallen Leaf Lake near lake Tahoe . This botanic relic is one of several medieval trees, ranging from 68 to 100 feet tall, standing upright at the bottom of the lake. They grew during a 200-year megadrought in the Sierra Nevada between the 9th and 12th centuries, when precipitation in the area fell to less than 60 percent of the average between 1969 and 1992. Fallen Leaf Lake dropped about 150 to 200 feet below its current level, allowing the trees to grow above the lower shoreline. In the wetter years that followed, the lake quickly refilled, drowning the trees and sealing them in a liquid catacomb, safe from insects and fungi in the deep, low-oxygen water. There are also three older trees, which drowned between 18 and 35 centuries ago, standing upright on the lake floor, which suggests that severe droughts struck even further back in time.

7 Likes

That’s pretty interesting. I’ll have to look that up. Rained like hell last around here. 56 for the low, and 75’ish for the high. Sunny and nice now, but storms again this afternoon.

2 Likes

The feedback cycle has started here on earth. Methane boils from the permafrost and oceans… but that’s normal. For 4 million years ago. A test of the earth’s health lies in the jellyfish in the ocean. The closer we get to all dying off, the better the jellyfish thrive.

2 Likes

Current Folsom lake/dam.

Parking and restrooms in the distance. Desert crossing. Lol

6 Likes

Unfortunately this never gets enough attention.

3 Likes

yup, as the ocean continues to acifidy all the shelled organisms will die, leaving the Earth’s oceans filled with nothing but seaweed & jellyfish. Maine lobsters are already dying off. The oil families use the biosphere like a Kleenex to be thrown away when they’re done with it

1 Like

@vernal and @Pigeonman What type of clover are you using? I’d do dutch white, but those painful little burrs suck especially for my pets.

Backyard is Dutch Clover and front is a mix of Dutch clover, Black Medic, and something that resembles a tiny geranium.

2 Likes