WHAB’s 1924 Brick Schoolhouse RDWC

They are, yes.

Likely interbreeding. You know how cultivators like to mess with plants! winky biggrin

As for me, I’m not too harsh on the lovebirds. Trees heal up pretty well on their own.

@LilJonB wavy,
WHAB

1 Like

Not rambling, @Rhino_buddy…I find it interesting.

Do you have a nursery?

I agree completely about bringing non-native plants/trees/grasses into pristine locations - to a degree. We have our fruit trees because they came from somewhere else.

tup,
WHAB

2 Likes

Yes, but there’s so many good natives that produce fruits and berries. We don’t have a nursery per se, but we do a lot of restorations of damaged areas, so we have a large number in quantity and diversity of natives. There’s also some good native fruit trees from our range. Many plumbs and cherries and even the paw paw. And ground cherries and wild strawberries. The wild strawberries are so tasty. They are smaller, and bruise more easily, but there flavor far surpasses a cultivated one anytime.

More rambling. Lol

Thanks WHAB
:green_heart::seedling:

2 Likes

I ran into this last night. I have been pondering the situation since then and how to deal with it. It looks like the sides aren’t the same height. With the aluminum angle on the long sides precisely located at 1/2 inch (.500) from the top edge I expected the short sides to match up to them. They, the aluminum angles do, the top edge of that short side of the tank does not. One end (the corner I misidentified as #3 really should be #4 - it should be 1-4) of that short side seems to be shorter than the other which in effect raises the aluminum angle in that corner.

That broken indicator mount should fit neatly in the corner of the aluminum angle. What you see there is the raised edge, it is not a gap between the mount and the side. You can see that in the right hand corner.

Should I use the top edge and measure the angle off of it on all four sides regardless their variations? That would leave the seal un-level. Should I make all the sides level? That would create more work that I’m not really set up for.

I have decided I’ll go with the happy medium I am presented with. In this instance, with the aluminum angle a little higher than the other areas, it will compress the bulb seal a little more in that side of that corner. I think I’d prefer that as opposed to not compressing the bulb seal enough.

Another consideration I have been pondering ever since I decided to modify the leak/seal matter is how best to process the holes in it.

This is not thin sheet metal. Drilling through Stainless Steel requires a particular approach. Yeah, it’s advised you use Cobalt drill bits. I’m pretty sure I have Cobalt drill bits in the sizes I need. Yeah, it’s advised you not use a hand-held drill to drill through it. I’m not a “Machine Shop” so I’ll have to drill it by hand. Yeah, you’re advised to drill through it at a slow speed. Again, I’m not a machine shop. All I have are hand-held drills. I ‘may’ have to disregard those advisement’s! winky. I have the correct size reamer but it’s not Cobalt and I don’t want to ruin it trying to run it through this stainless steel.

Btw, if you don’t know, you can typically identify Cobalt drill bits by the step in the base of the drill bit.

My concern is what lubricant to use to keep the drill bit and the material cooler while not poisoning the cloning machine. I’m pretty sure I can solve this one. I have liquid lubricants - light oil, heavy oil and such but I’m not sure how well I can clean up afterwards.

As it happens, I do have Boelube. I have used Boelube over the decades.

It is an excellent dry lubricant that is easily cleaned up with isopropyl alcohol making it cloning machine safe. Interestingly, it turns into a liquid when it gets hot.

Even though I have used it over a very long time, I didn’t know it cleaned up so easily without leaving a chemical residue behind. tup

So, tomorrow I, having decided how best to proceed, will proceed with processing the holes out and hope I don’t screw it up. I can’t just grab another Stainless Steel tank off the shelf! biggrin

WHAB

4 Likes

I just went up in the loft for the first time today (now yesterday).

Good color has mostly returned to all the plants. New growth is of good color. Even the wee ones are growing and looking good. They’re looking good party-smiley-048

I trimmed the damaged leaves off of most of them (I accidentally nicked a stem I did not intend to cut frown ). I didn’t get to the very back…those 2 flower pots make it difficult to get back there… I’ll try and get some pictures later today before Lights On. I have forgotten the past 2 days! biggrin

E.C. 0.8.
pH 5.9

rollitup,
WHAB

4 Likes

You’re welcome!

Not rambling, @Rhino_buddy … I find your latest even more interesting than your previous! biggrin Whatever you call it - nursery, not a nursery - that’s very cool!

tup,
WHAB

4 Likes

What about cutting a 45 degree angle where the ends meet for the angled aluminum?

1 Like

Hello @Tejas wavy.

I had considered exactly that in my first plan. But, then I got to thinking that matching 45° angles in both the aluminum and the bulb-seal in the corners would provide too easy a path out of the tank for its contents.

My plan was revised to using a butt joint in a alternating pattern. Have the aluminum angle butt jointed in one direction in any corner and the bulb-seal butt jointed in the other direction in those same corners - overlapping one over the other. I believe that will best block any liquids from escaping the tank.

Btw, I still haven’t processed the bolt holes. I’m really torn on trying to do it by hand (not recommended) and failing at it. I’d then have a mess to deal with and not be able to use the tank, at least for some time.

I’ve been mulling it over since my last comments on the matter biggrin

I decided today to take the tank, the pre-cut aluminum angles (and tools and materials) to a low speed drill press and process the holes that way.

I’m going to try and get that done tomorrow.

Thanks for your interest and question, @Tejas, sincerely tup

48 ,
WHAB

5 Likes

Hey folks! wavy

For starters, I was wrong in my original calculation. I don’t need a 1/2 inch (.500) spacing from the top edge of the tank for compressing the bulb-seal. I always intended it to be compressed at least 1/4 inch (.250). With the bulb-seal being .649 (.650 practically) in height - .250 subtracted from .650 is .400. That’s the measurement of the top of the aluminum angle to the top edge of the tank I need to compress the seal 1/4 inch.

Now with that correction addressed. I am confronted with another dilemma. Something I did mention briefly earlier.

The top edge of the tank varies quite a bit. It is what I ‘was’ measuring off of. It’s particularly bad in one corner.

This corner is bad but it isn’t as bad as the next…

This corner has a .100 difference from one edge to the other.

There is no way I can locate a parts from each of those top edges. It varies throughout its entire length, through all 4 sides.

So, puzzling over it for a bit, I have to skin this cat from a different direction.

The only way I’m going to be able to get an accurate measurement is to measure from a surface that is consistent throughout the tank - the bottom. All of the sides do measure differently BUT they all meet the bottom at some point! winky I have to take my measurements to locate the aluminum angles from the bottom up, either on the inside of the tank or the outside of the tank.

Now, keep in mind; I have no precision instrument of measure beyond my 8 inch dial calipers. I need 10+ inches.

I’m using a 1-2-3 block to account for 3 of those inches. It’s a bit of a juggling act, but it is possible and accurate when care is taken.

From the inside, I need to locate the top of the aluminum angles 10.035 inches from the bottom of the tank.

From the outside of the tank I have to take into account the thickness of the material the tank is made of. .075 think Stainless Steel.

From the outside of the tank, I need to locate the top of the aluminum angle on the inside at 10.110 inches.

From the outside of the tank I then have to find the actual bottom of the tank. To do this I have to incorporate one of my machinist squares to find the bottom THEN hold the 1-2-3 against that to THEN hold the dial caliper against that to take my measurement, my layout!

That’s to the top of the angle the bulb-seal will attach to.

Now I have to figure out where the holes for the fasteners I am using are going to go through the side of the tank and through the aluminum angle.

I’m aiming for about the middle of the 3/4 inch (.750) down leg of the aluminum angle. I have decided on .300 from the top of the aluminum angle. .300 subtacted from 10.110 equals 9.810. I’m settling on 9.8 inches from the outside bottom of the tank. IF I can find spots along their lengths were the weld bead doesn’t intrude in to my measurement cantlook ROFLMAO

Here’s goes! biggrin

WHAB

4 Likes

Cloning Machine II is ready to be processed!

Hole and angle locations inside and out, including center-punched…

I didn’t have enough hands… biggrin

Then I had support the spot to center-punch, otherwise it would have just sprang back at me…

Good morning!

Make it a great day! tup

wavy,
WHAB

4 Likes

Are you tracking your grow with Grafana? :eyes:

Love your thread! Tons of detailed info, can spend hours in here taking notes ^^

Thanks for the hard work sir!

4 Likes

My first job on the grinders as an apprentices was to make my 1-2-3 blocks :wink:
:seedling: :green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

No, I’m not using any tracking program. I’m especially not using any Cloud service. I can’t remember which one or ones it was but a short while ago I kept getting notices (text messages) to remove things from this or these Cloud service(s) before they were deleted. I never had anything on those Cloud services. I’m pretty sure it was one Cloud service then it was another one.

Thank you for your kind words, @HolyAngel … they are appreciated! tup

And, thank you, you’re more than welcome, friend! tup

rockon,
WHAB

2 Likes

Hello @G-paS wavy

That’s interesting! You ran surface grinders? You made the 1-2-3’s you own?

rockon,
WHAB

1 Like

Ah ok, was just that pic you posted looks incredibly similar to Grafana’s lay out so had me wondering :sweat_smile:

Grafana is basically a linux package, runs on a local computer and collates data into graphs, nothing needs to be in the cloud. I have one at home and one at work that monitor server uptime, bandwidth, pings, etc. but you can graph just about anything that would save to a database. RH/Temps/PH/etc ^^

2 Likes

That does sound interesting, @HolyAngel tup

I think you’re referring to the AcuRite 5-in-1 Weather Station screenshot.

The only reason I have that thing is my BIL kept calling me asking what the weather was like where I was. I got tired of that pretty quickly! I bought the AcuRite weather station and showed him how to use it! ROFLMAO

It’s actually a pretty neat tool! And, luckily, the remote sensor I was hoping to use in the grow with a stand alone tabletop monitor - but found out after I bought it it wasn’t compatible - works with that PC interface.

fly2,
WHAB

2 Likes

I won’t be getting to the Cloning Machine II processing today. Just not feeling it! biggrin

Photo Day - Veg Day 18 (Post Flush Day 6):

pics just prior to Lights On…extra Sleepy (abused sleepy!)

These 2 in the front, this first pair of pictures, then the last pair of pictures, are doing the worst in my opinion. More droopy than all the others. Apologies for blurriness. I didn’t know it was blurry until I brought it into MS Paint, after the fact. And even still, they’re alive and growing…

Now, you’ll remember, these two, but especially the one on the right had leaves that were practically Neon Green winky And, man, the one on the right is Thick!

This one is from the first group I transplanted, the one I was sure was dead.

This is the other one in the front row I mentioned in the above post that’s doing poorly - they’re both alive and growing.

These are the 2 wee ones from the second transplant I was sure would die. Top image of them is in first (blurry) picture. They’re doing much better than I thought they would.

I forgot to mention above that I pulled that tall plant, the one I had to trim the gunk off the roots when I had to perform the Emergency Flush, out of its outer bucket to trim the roots, to at least look and see if it needed to be trimmed. They don’t need to be trimmed right now but, there are several exiting the bottom of the bucket AND they’re bright, healthy white! tup

I am seeing what looks like a less example of what caused the Emergency Flush in the bottom of the buckets. Just slightly there. I am considering a basic flush and adding more H020. Just drain the Res, mix a new batch of Nutes including 2tbs of H020. Like I said, IF I have to do this to get these girls to finish then I will do it.

I want to have a Black hydro setup before I send these girls to Flower BUT, I’m not sure how I"m going to transfer THESE 2 gallon White buckets to THOSE 5 gallon Black buckets. Any suggestions are welcome. Can’t get my head around it.

And then this!

Just waiting on this…due in by end of day Saturday, April 17, 2021.woohoo

A very successful grower and friend is guiding me through the next phase of growth above, mine and Cannabis! winky tup

rollitup ,
WHAB

6 Likes

Yes I made the 123 blocks on the grinders and the invers hammer, we called a whopper knocker, on the lathes. I ran all the small machines during my apprenticeship. After about 20 years as a DieMaker, I trained and ran the large CNC Machines. The one was bigger than my house. :laughing:

3 Likes

That’s VERY cool, @G-paS !

My background is entirely based in Making/Creating (manufacturing/producing, hand and machine), manual and CNC Machining - Certified AutoCAD, CAD/CAM, CMM - dozens of Certifications…etc. From Wood & Metal & Automotive Shops in Junior High School (before that on my own, not formal training) on through to my Spinal Surgery (work related - Empennage of C-17) then my First “Massive” Heart Attack.

Very cool, @G-paS tup,
WHAB

4 Likes

You are awesome. I just did a 4 year apprentice and 2 years of related college. All my large machine training was hands on. I worked for GM and they have there own coding so I couldn’t program for anything else.

3 Likes