WHAB’s 1924 Brick Schoolhouse RDWC

That’s AWESOME, @G-paS ! We’re like literal twins! winky biggrin

Oh, I left out Sheet Metal Mechanic. I have extensive experience in sheet metal fabrication & Metal Fitting. I’ve made some pretty incredible things. Some one-off assemblies! A career I had thoroughly enjoyed!

I made these…

Those “Convolutes” are 3 layers of .010 Stainless Steel.

I have 3 tool boxes. A Sheet Metal / Aircraft Mechanics box, a Aircraft Mechanics box and a Machinists box! winky

tup,
WHAB

5 Likes

Remember what I relayed regarding my Dad teaching me “IF you have to borrow anything more than once, you need to buy one” ???

This just arrived…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEd-HgOLlJA

It’s going right into service, This thing…

…swung out from under me the other day when I was near the top (it’s the Attic Ladder cutoff). Could have been bad. I lucked out. I noticed I need to vacuum out the “Intake” side of the A/C unit. It’s not horribly bad but it could use some attention!

I won’t be borrowing a ladder any longer!

AND, I’m not sure how it happened. I’ve been window shopping for Little Giant Ladders ever since I arrived at the 1924 Schoolhouse - on Craigslist, FB Marketplace and Amazon - more than a year.

This popped up on Amazon for $187+ on April 13th. I jumped on it. Right now this ladder, a Little Giant Ladder Model 15417-801, on Amazon it’s $240.09.

The other models with these Ratchet Levelers start at over $300. They’ll be handy when I get to the outdoor work like on the Fascia AND the Exhaust Ducting for the Infinity T6 Inline Fan where the ground is anything but level! tup

beercheer,
WHAB

5 Likes

Glad to see you got a safe ladder.
:seedling: :green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

Thank you, @G-paS ! tup

I’ve been wanting a Little Giant Ladder for a very long time. There was no way I could ever justify spending $300+ for one, though…that’s too much for a damn ladder! ROFLMAO

The Rock Locks and Ratchet Levelers are bonus points! One thing I never liked about any of these “Multi-Purpose” ladders are those length adjusters. They’re clunking and while useful, they’re not necessarily a great design. They’re a horrible design - there, I said it! ROFLMAO

rockon,
WHAB

3 Likes

It is one fancy ladder. They figure if people got it they will spend it. But I’m with you. If that thing won’t reach the roof. Nope.

1 Like

Hey @LilJonB wavy

Reaching the roof was a consideration in any ladder purchase I would have made. Not that I want to get up there but IF I ever do. We did have a strong wind come in from the East last year that lifted a portion of the metal roof here. My SIL had to screw it back down.

I had never had a fear of heights. Me and my brother used to seek the heights, natural or man-made. But, I got up on the ladder and couldn’t get out on to the roof. I don’t know what changed but it has. I’ll try again the next time the need arises. It’s bothering me that I couldn’t get out on the roof.

tup SIL!

smoke,
WHAB

1 Like

Any Ebb&Gro, Flood and Drain folks out there. Possibly, @Purple-N-Hairy

What is a right Flood cycle?

How long do you leave your system (buckets, containers) full of nutrients before you drain them?
How often do you Fill your system in a 24 hour period?

The plants still aren’t as lively as they should be. I ‘think’ I may be drowning them.

I Fill 4 times in 24 hours. I leave the buckets filled for 1 hour. I Fill once in lights off.

I have read numerous things on the topic. Some say ‘don’t Fill during lights off’. Some say only leave system filled for 10 minutes then drain.

I just reset my timer to Fill for 1/2 hour then Drain (1/2 of my just previous cycle). Since I added the external, transfer pump the buckets are full and equalized in about 8 minutes.

Anyone hydro growers got any ideas regards the above?

WHAB

1 Like

Like you, I’ve seen others say they do things a certain way and everything else is wrong. For me, I stick with what works. I probably feed more often than some. I probably keep the buckets filled longer than some. I probably feed when the lights are off more than some. But I challenge anyone to look at my ebb and flow bucket grows and tell me why I’m wrong…

This is my schedule:

Feed Drain
7:25 7:50
9:00 9:25
10:30 10:55
12:00 12:25
1:30 1:55
3:00 3:25
4:30 4:55
6:00 6:25
7:30 7:55
11:00 11:25
3:00 3:25

The first time of 7:25 is 5 minutes before lights come on. You can gauge everything else from there.

3 Likes

I know sveral people who use the coco croutons in the ebb&grow buckets. They feed once per day for 15 minutes at lights on.

3 Likes

Thank you, @Purple-N-Hairy ! tup

That’s a heck of a schedule!

It would seem, from your schedule, I’m under-feeding. confused

What a puzzling situation!

And, yeah, there is no denying your results!

Of your 24 Topics you created (indicates I am looking), which one best describes your setup? I could read them all, I suppose… winky

Thanks, man!,
WHAB

2 Likes

Me and mine too! We used to climb this tree 3 stories high before school. Now if someone else is willing to do a job that has to do with heights they can have it. I’ll do it but my brain don’t like it. Lol.

@ReikoX that sounds allot better then multiple time a day. Definitely be the way I would go.

1 Like

Wow!

I’m trying to read my plants and they’re just not happy. But, I can’t under-feed them AND over-feed them at the same time.

Man!

Thanks a bunch, @ReikoX tup,
WHAB

1 Like

Roots need water and oxygen. You may have to flood more often with the clay pebbles.

3 Likes

We used to take trips to Los Angeles just to see what buildings we could get to the roof of. At the time, there were many.

And, yeah, my brain just ain’t diggin’ it!

beercheer,
WHAB

1 Like

Yeah, I read a lot about it but when they present it as “you may need to flood and drain 9, 10 or even 15 times a day. You may need 1-2 flooding in the night”, that’s not really that helpful winky .

I was feeding 4 times a day, leaving the buckets full for 1 hour. They’re not happy. They are growing. They are filling out.

The leafs are not reaching for the light. The leafs are sagging 24 hours a day, it seems. That’s not right.

Much thanks, @ReikoX ! tup,
WHAB

Probably the first post in this thread captures just about everything about my setup:

1 Like

If you’re saying “may have to flood more often with clay pebbles” than you would if using:

The “may” should be “absolutely”.

2 Likes

Thank you, @Purple-N-Hairy ! I do sincerely appreciate the help!

You’ve got a great setup!

I have an question about your setup unrelated to feeding. May I hit you up?

fly2,
WHAB

2 Likes

Of course. Always!

2 Likes

Two questions, please.

You mentioned previously that you have your buckets up on a platform - 4 or 5 inches above the floor (I don’t recall exactly the number you posted).

1. Is your control bucket on the same plane as your buckets?
    1A) What are you using as a control bucket?

2. Where did you buy those netpots?

I am gearing up for upgrading my system - primarily for the opaque Black but also upsizing everything.

Thank you, @Purple-N-Hairy tup,
WHAB

2 Likes