WHAB’s 1924 Brick Schoolhouse RDWC

Nice!

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

Before your sage advise, I bought this for the underfloor plumbing, under the classroom.

Atomi Smart 1500-Watt Ceramic Tower,

I bought it because it is WiFi ready…

And, I didn’t know it at the time, I only found out trying it out - it has Auto-Restart. woohoo It doesn’t mention it anywhere in the online literature or in the instruction manual. So, I can plug it in to the Inkbird brewing controller I have in the water softener enclosure now controlling the heat lamps in there, that I can run in the underfloor area of the classroom.

After your suggestion about Heat Tape, I went looking for some. I found some on Amazon but every one I looked at, just one brand but varying lengths, none were in stock.

I found some at Lowe’s. I have to pick up a few items there in the next day or two that are waiting on me and I’ll pick up at least one heat tape then.

Thank you for the information! You jogged my noggin! winky I appreciate that! rockon

Good morning!

smoke,
WHAB

3 Likes

Nice surprise. I wonder if you got the next update accidently. Cool beans. :+1:

1 Like

Hello friend, @G-paS wavy

Thank you! BUT, I’m not sure what you’re referring to regards…

Sorry for my confusion, but I’m just not understanding your reference.

WHAB

Oh…that is the New WiFi Space Heater I was referencing there.

Anything electrical/electronics I need needs to be Auto-Restart.

In case electricity goes out I need all of my electronics to auto-restart. The heat source, whether Heat Lamps or Heat Tape, keeping the water flowing here needs to restart as soon as they can to prevent freezing.

I ‘may’ not be here when the power goes out.

Apologies for my confusion!

To clarify further; nothing I read, either online or in the product instructions I have in hand, mentioned this WiFi Space Heater having a Auto-Restart function. It was only when I plugged it into an electrical outlet here that I discovered the space heater had auto-restart. I switched the outlet off and left it off for about 10 minutes. When I switched the power back on the space heater came back on at the settings it was at when I switched it off.tup

Warm regards,
WHAB

3 Likes

There’s a new thread started, ‘Ventilation 101’, with a large ‘knowledge drop’ you might be interested in:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Thanks, man! I appreciate the link and the thoughtfulness behind your posting it!

beercheer,
WHAB

I finally made it to the Genealogy Society in ‘town’ here. That’s as close to a Historical Society as I’m going to get here, it turns out.

I told them the situation and they had a file on the Mt. Bethel Schools, this one included.

The file was completely empty save for a few file partitions (also empty, of course)!

ROFLMAO

I’m going to write something up and provide all the relevant pictures I have and send it to them to put in that empty file! ROFLMAO

I did take a rather extensive look around at what they did have concerning the area in general.

I was also invited to attend a 1st Thursday of the month meeting they hold there. Like minded folks. I will try and make it there.

I was able to look at some of the old maps, one dating back to 1881.

I was also provided with a list of teachers that taught at that school and when.

It looks like this 1924 structure replaced an earlier schoolhouse.

The 1881 map shows a schoolhouse here.

I’ll post the images of what I have when Microsoft says it’s okay! frown

I’ve been trying to transfer them since I got back to the schoolhouse from the “garage” here, that was 5pm frown

First thing I did when I got back from town was to try and change that Oil Pressure Sending unit. I was waist deep in that engine bay and I can’t even see or feel that thing. I followed those directions I mentioned before and I don’t think I’m going to be able to do it myself…unless I take the engine crossover intake off the engine. I don’t want to be that deep in this engine - BUT, I may have to.

I was trying to get it done before Winter really settles in here.

Once I climbed out of the engine bay, and it looks like I won’t be able to do the work above until Spring…there may be one or two more days with the weather good enough to work out in. We’ll see.

Then I thought I could at least change the oil…something I was going to get done along with the OPS work. It’s LONG past due!

I jacked the car up with that new to me floor jack (works great!), I got under the car, loosened the oil pan drain plug, I put the drain pan under the drain.

I went to grab my oil filter cap wrench to remove the oil filter while the oil pan was draining.

It’s the wrong oil filter removal tool.

I decided I’d go back to ‘town’ tonight to buy one.

I checked the balance in my checking account. It shows a + balance.

BUT, it shows some outstanding payments from before the weekend that haven’t been processed yet. For some reason, and I don’t know why.

Today is Monday. Those existing expenditures didn’t get processed on Monday confused2

Now I’m pretty sure that account will be overdrafted…at some point…when they get around to it confused2 frown

I was going to go buy the oil filter cap wrench I need and at least get the oil changed, about $6 and I can’t. I don’t have it, I don’t believe. I’m not entirely sure… confused2

Overdraft fee is $35 frown

I think I may have $10 cash, I think…I just remembered

I’m running to ‘town’ now!

BRB! ROFLMAO,
WHAB

2 Likes

I got the cap wrench. It took me about an 1-1/2 hour round trip.

I have a couple of days of good daytime weather. Drops down to 23F Thanksgiving night (overnight).

I’ll get the oil changed. I’ll rotate my tires. While I’m under there I’m going to try and find an odd noise that only occurs when I’m driving on wet roads. I think there is metal getting hot (the exhaust), then rapidly cooling and creating one hell of a racket…almost a clanking noise! Really strange. I know this doesn’t sound typical…but I think that is what it is…thermal-harmonics of some sort. I did look at the front of my exhaust system while I was under there. Corrosion is present. It’s only surface corrosion but it’s pretty heavy surface corrosion.

I’m also going to take ANOTHER look at that Oil Pressure Sending Unit. IF I don’t get that done tomorrow, I’ll start researching R&R’ing the Intake Manifold. I’m also going to check around the area and see IF I can find a Automotive Technical School close by.

Oh, before I left for town I turned the attic lights on. When I got back, driving at night, I wanted to see IF I can see the attic light from the road. I can! I can see the light coming from the attic out at the road! Out through the missing or deteriorated fascia! ROFLMAO

First, here are the pictures I couldn’t post the other day…my last supply run, for the underfloor support that I’ll build upon.

And, the 2 3’ to 7’ Heat Tapes (I’m assuming that measurement refers to doubling it up for one length, both sides of one pipe). @Gpaw winky Thanks again, mang! tup

Here’s the school stuff. This is a picture of a copy of the reproduction 1881 map…out of a book they had. They have a faithful full-size reproduction of the original 1881 map on the wall at the Genealogy Society. She said where the original is…it does still exist. I don’t remember what she said.

This school location is School No. 5 (top right square). Except for just North of us, everything North of that is underwater. We are on a peninsula. So is most of what is West and East of us also under water now.

But, doing the Maths! ROFLMAO 1881 is different than 1924. winky

This is a list of owners in this area at those times. I was told we are Lots-Sec 6.

When I finally got the pictures to transfer and I looked at them I noticed there is another school identified relatively near by.

I’m going to see if I can lay over a modern map with that map and see if that school building is still there.

Now, coincidentally…for some reason google maps took me back to the schoolhouse a different direction about a month ago. I did see another abandoned brick building on that route. They ‘might’ be the same building. Will try and cross-reference them.

Here are a teachers over over the decades starting at 1909 through 1942 (probably)…the others seem to be placeholders, empty of data.

Remember…

This area was once called Mt. Bethel, before the lake was created in 1963 (that’s when the work started), not sure when they would have had the land cleared of residents down this far.

Good morning!

Make it a great day! tup

Time for 48 for me (without the pass-pass winky),
WHAB

3 Likes

Us old timers learned to balance our checkbooks (yes, paper and pen) as we wrote checks. It blew my mind when my daughter did the “balance” at the moment thing. You must be her generation. I had people hold check for months.
When you write the check/e-thing it is gone. You can’t go by current balance. Mom getting off her soapbox :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Hello friend! wavy

HA!

I haven’t “written” a check since 1995/1996. Back when I used to write checks, I did keep a good running balance.

When I looked at my account online (yesterday now), I saw the “Pending” transactions (they’re labeled - like flags). I only knew that those amounts were not deducted from the account because when I called, it listed it as outstanding or some other word…and gave me one total. They gave me the total of the transactions on the phone and it is what is still showing as “Pending” online.

What’s pretty neat about my bank, though, and I don’t know if other banks do this…but I can go online and make a payment to a person, any person - they’ll write the check, they’ll address the envelope to who I say and they mail it out (with them paying the postage).

My bank was bought out a couple of years ago now. What I mentioned above used to be free. While they’ll still do the above, there is a $6+ monthly service fee if under a certain balance now.

But, also, I don’t have to buy check books anymore.

ROFLMAO

Good morning, @G-paS!

WHAB

1 Like

That was an awesome service. E-banking gets me in trouble too. I still have to write checks for propane and taxes. I write 5/6 a year.

1 Like

*I hit the wrong button and posted this before I was done cantlook ROFLMAO *

The last time I wrote a check?

Me wowing my friends with my latest technology (I was a slave to technology - when I could afford it winky ), 1993 … me treating my friends to shooting practice out on BLM land (when BLM meant something other than that today winky).

While my Jeep was blasting our favorite tunes!

My friend on the left is no longer with us. R.I.P. David!

Add Edit: The rig I’m using is a Arvo Ojala holster. He’s the other guy in the opening Gunsmoke scene, the gunfight, that’s not James Arness…

rockon,
WHAB

3 Likes

I did not work on my car yesterday. I didn’t do anything. I was IR from the previous day.

I did the work today. I changed the oil and rotated my tires.

I prefer to rotate all the tires at the same time - and while it’s unshod I can get a good look at everything … all of the underside is open for inspection.

Everything looked great. Brake pads, wheel bearings, suspension components (although, I should start thinking about suspension bushings relatively soon)…check for leaks…etc. There is some excessive oil residue present. This LS1 has always seeped oil. I do need to check the differential lube. It also has a lot of residue on it, built up grease.

The shocks look great!

The only immediate concern that I saw was both rear bump stops. They’re eroded badly. It looks like what used to be a rubber exterior is eroding exposing what looks like a spongy material inside. They’re both separated from their mounts just on one side, they’re still connected on one side, floppy on the other.

Weird!

I did check the entire exhaust system to try and locate that racket making. I think it’s where there is a flimsy shield of some sort, like a cross-member…but it’s very thin metal. It was very close the the exhaust pipe where they crossover…there is a rub spot on the exhaust pipe right there. I pried it away. I’ll see what happens the next time I’m driving on a wet road.

I should start shopping for a header back exhaust system at some point, too. It’s a nearly 20 year old car and those things become regular maintenance at that age.

I put a Borla system in that Jeep above. Sounded amazing!

I’m really feeling the work I did. I feel better for having done it, though!

I will be away tomorrow, Thanksgiving Day…

So - baring any response I might give in the remainder of this day - a VERY Happy Thanksgiving Day to you ALL! tup

Gobble Gobble! :turkey:

rockon,
WHAB

5 Likes

Taxes… 4 checks a year… I could pay via CC, but my town wants to add a $60 convenience fee. Screw that, its convenient to you too Town, I’ll just make you deposit a check instead of inconveniencing my checking account :wink:

@WhiteHotAfterburner Finding out town history can be fun. I managed to find full aerial photography of my town from the 1930’s!! HOW did they do that back then? Just amazing…

Animated gif version 1930 - present day
- GIF - Imgur

4 Likes

Hey Nagel! wavy

Neat picture!

Being that Powered Flight :airplane: occurred nearly 30 years prior to your 1930 image, it doesn’t take too much effort for this Aviation Nerd to appreciate the capabilities of powered flight at that point in time, nearly 30 years hence. winky

Here’s one of the original Courthouse first built in 1841…ours is the County Seat.

City Courthouse 1841 0001A 11272021

Then rebuilt in 1905 to its current state…a building I had to drive right past to get to the Genealogy Society (/Historical Society winky), or any time I have to go to the City Center I drive past it.

A wonderfully neat old building!

Thank you for your input and discussion, @Nagel420! tup

P.S. Your grow thread is excellent, sir! rollitup

rockon,
WHAB

1 Like

Oh but they have ALL 86 square miles of town, and a decent portion of the STATE done! The airplanes I get, the photography was still evolving then, and these large scale stitches are truly amazing! Its still a challenge to stitch without stitch lines today, and this is 90 years old and I can’t find a stitch line (Google Earth, by comparison, has very visible stitch lines).

Yeah, history can certainly be neat to figure out about where you live. Always fun to see the Before / After / Current state of things!

Thanks for the comments on my journal… I wanna update more often but get sidetracked and forget the phone upstairs all the time to take pics with… Your journal is an interesting journey though. Peeling back layers of time, doing serious work there !

1 Like

You’re most welcome, @Nagel420! Thank you reciprocally! winky

One question regards the image you posted; what does that blue line in the center of your image represent? The blue line leading to the body of water I assume is the stream/river feeding that body of water…the blue line in the middle of your picture is less obvious winky

Regards tup,
WHAB

All blue is waterways, theres a few lakes around, and a stream behind the house, that blue line is a stream originating in the swamp back there, and making its way to a reservoir in the next town over.

Interesting note, at the bottom of that blue line there’s a loop of sorts. Well, that loop, all around to well beyond the treelines there, is now a 4 acre beaver pond made in the past 4 years!!!

2 Likes

Ah, I figured it was water but, it’s not clear from the image alone, without a legend, that is.

And, yeah that loop was puzzling - threw me for a loop, so to speak! winky.

Beavers can be quite industrious! Busy somethings, so the saying goes… Whistle winky

That’s A LOT of acreage, even for a beaver pond.

As an aside, I follow a few YouTubers - Lumnah Acres being one. I’ve watched him and his wife clear Beaver work on their New property over several videos that illustrate to problem they can cause to us Bipedal Carbon Based Humanoids! winky

Thanks, again, brother! tup ,
WHAB

2 Likes