šŸŽ§ What Are You Listening To? (Part 4)

Big hugs @Illicitmango . I moved in with my gran when we all realized her Alzheimerā€™s and dementia were progressing to the point where she couldnā€™t be alone anymore. I was working full time and at home it felt like the workday continued.

When she started getting violent I had to remind myself: this is not my Gran, this is the disease"ā€¦ rather difficult to do when the woman is coming after you with broken glass and covered in her own shit in the middle of the night.

This was about a year and a half and thank the Gods I had a daytime caregiver in for the last half of that time. The kicker: ONE DAY BEFORE she was accepted into our 1st choice elder care facility I came home to find the door wide open and my gran was nowhere to be found!!.

I panicked and started walking around the neighbourhood calling her name and then our neighbour came out looking disturbed and called me over urgently. This woman was my grans best friend, so I had hopes she knew where she wasā€¦ and she didā€¦

In her kitchen was my gran, naked and wrapped in a bed sheet. She started hallucinating the house was caving in and she ran out of the house screaming right to her best friends doorstep.

This woman was 80+, had no idea that my gran was this bad as my gran has always been a 'character" and a survivor so it was difficult for anyone that knew her to see the signs of the disease from her naturally intensely quirky self.

Shit like that gets you lots of XP in the world of keeping it real and Iā€™ve got enough XP for a lifetime now.

But ultimately I am feeling blessed that I was able to ensure my gran was enjoying her own home as long as she was able to, and also it allowed my Father to actually enjoy his retirement and possibly stopped him from having a heart attack having to drive 40km round trip everyday to check up on his Mum.

Back on the topic of music, and still SPEAKING OF :exploding_head: moments:

4 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

I appreciate the kind words @Pigeonman thank you!
Yeah I keep telling myself itā€™s not her and itā€™s the disease causing it, but as you said, sometimes its difficult to not take it to heart.

1 Like

Make this a mantra. I found it really helped me get through shit when I was showering at 1am to remove ā€œsurprise old woman feces after a diaper changeā€.

Used to listed to these guys a lot, The Rev was one hell of a drummer.

3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

@Pigeonman @Illicitmango my great grandmother also suffered from dementia in her later years although she went in a slightly different direction. She was dadā€™s grandmother so all I ever knew was the old her but she was a very serious stern woman almost downright mean never remember her laughing joking or even smiling as far as that goes but when dementia struck her she started reliving her childhood. One of fav memories was when we all went to a restaurant not long before she passed she ate chicken wings and had bbq sauce all over her face while she laughed and sang songs from when she was lil and playing patty cake with all us kids. I have to say I much prefer this version than having shit hurled at me. :pensive: so srry bro.

2 Likes

Thanks for the love and my heart to yours @GallacreekD66 .

TBH I try to spin a positive about the whole ordeal by thinking primarily of how it helped versus hurtā€¦ HOWEVER as an ADDED BONUS it made me stronger and I gained a lot of XP in a short span.

:rofl: :v:

2 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

Oh wow. Taj Mahal is great. Havenā€™t thought about that shit in a while
@KAB

2 Likes

Taj is the man! His live shows are really fun too. I caught a festival where he sat in with several bands and had guests join his set. The musicians were really enjoying themselves. Back in the 90s I saw a triple bill of Taj, John Lee Hooker, and Van Morrison!

5 Likes

Love me some Jerry Reed. He was a pickin fool. RIP

5 Likes
1 Like

3 Likes
3 Likes