What does everyone feed in coco?

I should mention this is my current feed, I expect I’ll have to increase mag in the next few weeks, but I’m at work and don’t have access to my notes.

2 Likes

I feel you on that! I spend most of my time correcting my spelling mistakes! May be I’ll try the 3 part with calmag and see how that works. I upped the ph to 6.0 per what @HappyHemper does and it seems to have helped, but still noticing some slight yellowing, and that tail whipping like you were describing.

1 Like

Also been adding a whole teaspoon of dissolved epsom to my ro base and that has helped also, but don’t want to over do it with the cal mag, plus the mag from the epsom.

1 Like

I have had decent luck foliar feeding mag sulf as well - I do a teaspoon to a gallon and spray liberally before lights out for a couple of days. Then after 2 feedings like that I do one with water only to rinse the foliage. Doesn’t seem to hurt any, and turns stuff from purple to green.

3 Likes

I was doing the mag spray last run and was hopping to not have to do it this time, but looks like I might have to.

1 Like

Ok folks, here’s a 10 gallon mixture to mimic V+B that uses TM-7 instead of a bunch of other things. Hits all NPK, Ca, Mg and S perfectly. Micronutrients follow the TM-7 profile instead of V+B’s.

4 Likes

This calculation is using the Peters (Jacks) 5-11-26, instead of that other stuff.

So it would appear that if you want to get closer to Veg/Bloom, but already have the Jacks/Peters, then you could use 4.3/3.5/0.8 instead of 3.6/2.4/1.2 to achieve similar macronutrient numbers.

Or, normalized a bit to match a similar EC – 3.6/2.9/0.65. Basically the main difference is slightly more Calcium Nitrate and half the Epsom. But also the micronutrients like S are a bit farther off.

3 Likes

i started with lucas formula dry (maxibloom) because it was 1 part and i wanted to K.I.S.S. but now i’ve switched to megacrop, because it’s cheaper, more soluble/easier to mix, and a true complete 1-part w/ full secondary and lots of other good shit like kelp, silica, amino acids + chelates, b vitamins, enzymes, etc

2 Likes

do you add calmag or mag sulf to MC, @legalcanada?

1 Like

i’ve never added calmag or anything even with maxibloom … just maxibloom (or megacrop) + tap water … never noticed a def. but if i did i’d just increase feed altogether… i use about 60/40 coco/perlite in smartpots under LM561C LEDs in 4x4 tent

3 Likes

You are the man! Thanks for doing this!

This sounds right up my alley, but I’ve always avoided mc cause I read so many people talking shit on it, but I guess if you want to know something you gotta find out for yourself. I always hear bud tastes bad grown with mc no matter how good the dry and cure was. I’m sure you wouldn’t go near the stuff if this was the case.

You think mc would be good with Ro water? My tap is super hard, and I heard the calcium/mag supplement they put in our local tap is in a form that is not even available to plants, but this is just here say. You think a cal/mag supplement would be needed for mc with Ro water?

1 Like

Here’s another formulation. This one is pretty spot-on, and it looks like it’ll make about ~15 pounds of veg-bloom equivalent for probably less than $100.

3 Likes

Winner! Sorry I keep blasting this post with calculations, but this is probably the easiest to replicate Veg+Bloom if you already have the nutes for Jacks/Peters 321.

Seems you can pretty much just add Ammonium Sulfate @ half the amount of Epsom – so that’s 3.6g Peters, 2.8g Calcium Nitrate, 0.66g Epsom, 0.33g Ammonium Sulfate

Other than 3ppm of Iron vs 0.42ppm in V+B and 0.1ppm Mo vs 0.02ppm for V+B, it’s pretty close to hitting everything else perfectly.

A slightly better variation also adds Potassium Silicate: 3.3g Peters, 2.8g Calcium Nitrate, 0.74g Epsom, 0.34g Ammonium Sulfate, 0.34g Potassium Silicate

4 Likes

Awesome!!! Definitely looking into these.

1 Like

Blast away my friend! I appreciate you doing the work!

cool stuff.

have you determined what veg+bloom has that jacks does not? i am unsure if it’s simply having the correct ratios of each macro/micro-nutrient, or if what is being used makes the biggest difference. i ran jacks for a few years and it grows great plants, but they were always a bit bland. the veg+bloom grew the loudest plants i’ve ever grown in 10+ years.

does the veg+bloom have something the jacks is missing, or are the “ingredients” just better? i know hydroponic research caters their nutrients to cannabis specifically.

i guess my biggest question is, would buying the things listed above and mixing them in the correct ratios give me something that is going to do the exact same thing as the v+b?

2 Likes

I’ve been using Canna Coco A + B along with their calmag agent and it works very well. I like that it’s the same 2 bottles all the way through veg and bloom which lowers cost. This also means i can quite often use the same nutrient mix on 2 different gardens even though ones in veg and the others in bloom.

I am about to have another go with AN Sensi coco grow and bloom cos i have some in storage and it wont last forever. Last time i tried this stuff i had ph issues but i’m using hempy buckets this time instead of airpots so we’ll see…

I have new bottles of the Canna stuff if it does go wrong again :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah that’s a good question. There are probably several things that differ. One that’s notable off the top of my head is ammonium sulfate. Jack’s has no ammoniacal nitrogen, so I know that ingredient is missing.

But also veg+bloom has higher amounts of sulfur than the Jack’s formula, and I’ve read that sulfur can definitely contribute to taste and smell. That’s a simple ratio difference that might be responsible.

I actually haven’t used veg+bloom before, so I can’t comment on the qualitative differences. But looking at the quantitative differences in nutrients, sulfur is the one that sticks out most to me.

3 Likes