What is the importance of far red light?

@SaintAliasKnife
I can try to answer a few questions you may have once you get just a little knowledge under your belt.

I would like to help but it truly would be like writing a book. :slightly_smiling_face:
You kinda gotta understand what a photon is and how it works.
Why do some photons have more energy than others?

That would be the first 2 chapters in my book.

Chapter 3
What effects do different photons exhibit in plants?

All in good fun I hope.
But you get the point. :heart_eyes:

Does anyone use red light to increase the hours of flowering light beyond 12 hours?
Does anyone flower using more than 12 hours of light?

4 Likes

@shag I’ve read of many folks going 13/11 and occasionally 14/10 with far red in play but have never tried it myself.

If you do let us know about it! :smiley:

2 Likes

Fun read!

Take-away: tending to the plants during the 15min far red phase after lights off will help me heal too! :+1:

4 Likes

Without far red light I’d never know when to stop my car.

4 Likes

Some like it because it let’s them know when the night-ladies are doing business…

4 Likes

Don’t forget the photosensitizing drugs to go along with high-intensity red light to target and kill cancer cells.

Good read thanks!
Shag

1 Like

So you are the guy that stops 500 ft from the red traffic light, you probably have magoo glasses too. :laughing:

3 Likes

I have a friend in real life, really I do…LOL
Anyway
He uses the weed wall method and says he has not found a strain that did not like 14 hours, he improved his yield and quality with that change, mostly yield.
But his quality was already on par.
I asked him to stop in a post some info, but he has been sick recently.

I bought the little far red light puck, like 8 years ago, with intentions of giving it a go, I was all excited when I got it too.
Just got lazy, like usual… :sleeping:
Maybe some day, I still have the dam thing, I should do something with it, it is still in the box…LOL

I am on a bit of a budget so the extra hours on the E-bill is not so attractive at the moment either.

3 Likes

I love that setup. very clean.

so what is the method, how are the lights run for the 14/10? red light on for x hours, full spectrum for y hrs total darkness 10 hrs?

1 Like

Run full spectrum for 14 hours then just run the far red light for 15min just before lights off, then 10 hours of total darkness.

So the red light turns off 15 min. after the full spectrum turns off …you will have 14 hours of full spectrum light then 15 min. of Far red light, then total darkness for 10 hours, really 9 hrs 45 min.

Not much more to it than that, unless you want to know how it all works in detail.

If that is what you were askin’ here, sorry I coulda/shoulda told ya that then.
When you first posted I thought you wanted me to try to explain how it all works in layman terms.
I tend to get caught up in tryin’ to answer a question all proper like.
I usually feel compelled to explain all the reasons why to go along with instructions.

Peace
Shag

1 Like

This could be the understatement of the year right here. Fucking up the soil across the world is a big fucking deal

4 Likes

appreciated. yep, methodology was what I was looking for. I think I grep the how it works.

:smile_cat:

:dove:

1 Like

@SaintAliasKnife
I had this part worded wrong.
This is the only part I made changes to.

2 Likes

understood. thank you for taking the time to clear it.

:green_heart:

:dove:

1 Like

@MrWizard
You said you wished to be notified about running lights longer than 12 hours in flower…

Peace
Shag

1 Like

This was from my buddy whos grow is pictured above and uses far red to extend flower times.

On average Cannabis starts flowering outdoors at 14/10, indoors at 12/12. The reason for the difference is the presence of 730 nm light outdoors naturally. 730 nm light switches the plant from day to night,wake to sleep by flipping the phytochrome state. 730 nm lights have been available for indoor growing for years, I’ve been using it for around 6 years. Without 730 indoors it takes the plant 2 hours to transition the phytochrome state from day to night. 5 Minutes of 730 light after the main lights go out will flip the state so that you can run up to 14/10 indoors. I began using 730 to increase yield because of the extra energy the plant can take in with the longer schedule. Using 730 indoors as a trigger also seems to shorten flower by a week or more.

3 Likes

@SaintAliasKnife he is saying as little as 5 min of far red light should work.
I feel 15 min will give a bit of a buffer to things.
I was wrong about 14 hrs being his go to.
Quote from him:
**My go to is 13.5/10.5, haven’t had a strain that didn’t like it.

• It made a noticeable gain for me, 13.5/10.5 gives you 12.5% more energy into the plant over 12/12.*
1 Like

Any advantage to using a 660grow puck in a 3x3 with a 4k CMH? I have one of the grow pucks I got off Amazon a few years ago.

1 Like

If you are speaking of a light that emits far red then yes, see the same instructions I gave another member above.

1 Like