What does everyone think about high light intensity just after germination?

So I have been talking to a few members and in one of our conversations light intensity came up… I say starting with at least 460 ppfd, ( that’s 62 percent light power, Gavita pro 1700e ) , as soon as germination is completed and show 1st set of seraded leaves has proven beneficial…they said careful with going up too fast… this is a myth… and I’m here to squash it… I started out and took this same advice from all over… everyone says… don’t turn that light up too much!!! 4x4 tent with a 4x4 size extremely strong light (gavita pro 1700e) … I can see why people think this… but it is NOT the case… now that I have turned my light past the low intensity suggestions things are really doing very well… I started thinking about what I saw Dr. Bruce Bugbee talk about intensity… he said that they found you can go extremely high with light intensity as long as nutrients are in line for it… in other words bleaching and effects of high light are not from the light… they are from lack of nutrients or incorrect ratio in the nutrients regimen…or too close of a light… but not intensity or how much you move up intensity from one day to the next… I went from about 240 ppfd under t5 to immediately 460 ppfd under gavita and it totally flourished after the change to extremely higher intensity light… where is everyone getting the myth of too high light intensity?? Please think again!!! My plant has doubled in size every day that passes… now it’s doubling every 2 days now that it’s getting bigger… but wow… let’s crush this myth shall we??

17 Likes

Theres another factor involved here, light spectrum. I use cfls to grow from sprout to seedling stage, 6700k, and as soon as I put them in the tent under a full spec led QB fixture they grow much more vigorously.
The led is only on 25% power but the full spectrum light range does it.

5 Likes

Try going up more… you’ll be surprised

1 Like

I have a full spec led as well… and I’m saying bugbee proved this… intensity can be immense… no matter the spectrum I think… hence the sun… distance matters only

3 Likes

You didn’t mention amount of hours.

4 Likes

I am currently 8-16

1 Like

But I may try 18 - 6 just to test it

according to dr bugbee, if you have ideal conditions (VPD, proper EC etc) you can hit it with as much light as you have from seedling, veg, (speeding up veg) and flower

3 Likes

Sounds reasonable.
High intensity shouldn’t be a problem if you adjust the hours.
Less hours if the seedling slows or suffers would be logical.

5 Likes

That is what I’m talking about… as long as everything’s in check… sorry meant to include total environment

3 Likes

I currently am here

3 Likes

lol sorry, i did not completely read the post… youre watching the same stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yessir!!! Gotta listen to the masters!!

1 Like

Now another myth… vpd for led users same as hps… look at my vpd… it’s perfect for led!!! Not so much for hid hps

1 Like

Black dog led did a thing on vpd… this was optimum according to them and they are 100 percent correct… I’m seeing explosive growth

1 Like

do you have the black dog info for that? Id love to check their results. Ive heard a lot fo people saying you need to run hotter with led than with hps, but never really looked into it.

1 Like

So what I’m seeing is a vpd of 1.3 is perfect for seedlings… under led… only led… at 85 degrees (according to Black dog led ) 85 is optimal… can go from 80 to 90 °f but 85 was optimal… very cool!

1 Like

I doubted it too and failed miserably… but now am succeeding for 1st time under this gavita pro 1700e… it’s In a 4x4… so essentially my ceiling is all light… 1 inch on all sides Is all I have … 42 inches away… 62 percent… 85 deg… 65 - 70 humidity

2 Likes

I found it on a forum for gavita users on thcfarmer… a guy named sshz grew under 2 gavita pro 1700e… he posted that info on black dog … I will find it if I can and post it here

1 Like

Seedlings can handle the high light intensity, just look at the seedlings that are started outdoors…I would shove newly sprouted seedlings under my 1K MH when I grew big time…false myth bromigos.

10 Likes