What would you call these?

So, they’re not pistils, and not really leaves. I’ve seen them before, but I’m not aware if I’ve even seen a name. I only see in certain plants. Thx!!

5 Likes

They look like sterile calyxes to me. but i dont really dont know.

2 Likes

They’re a tad thicker than a calyx… almost like pointy tubes

1 Like

It’s a “stipule”

22 Likes

it called a bract. i lied i did know
i like stipule too lets go with that

3 Likes

8 Likes

I didn’t think they could look like that. I thought the bract looked like this

1 Like

Potato potahto :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So I posted a solitary flower (last pic)

1 Like

Breadwinner for the win.

22 Likes

Dibs! …huh? Oh

Lol :grin:

5 Likes

i’d never seen them before and they looked sort of like the ones in the first pic but pointed up instead of down.

2 Likes

if we are counting those " solitary flowers" or preflowrs as infloresence ( they kind of are since they can be pollinated) then they are indeed bracts not stipules.
Stipules are modified paired structures borne at the base of leaves.Bracts are modified structures borne at the base of the inflorescence** . They usually take up the colour of the leaves. They are brightly coloured like petals.

3 Likes

Definitely a stipule at the base of each leaf, in some plants these turn into thorns. Perigoneal bracts are the heavily trichomed looking leaves which grow to envelope the floral primordia… In cannabis the primordia is surrounded by a perianth with is contained in a bract. Here is another pic:

8 Likes

Yeah, I’ll third that they’re stipules. They are long and dangly which I can’t say I’ve seen before (or at least registered), but still… stipules.

3 Likes

I read somewhere someone talking about crossed stipules mean higher probability of males. Seems bro-y.

But what do they really do?

“Stipules can be used as climbing tendrils by climbing plants. Spiny stipules can be used to help protect the plant from animals.[8]”

From Wikipedia

Maybe weed used to vine. Or have thorns

2 Likes

I think the saying goes crossed stipules will be girls. Could be wrong but I thought thats what I read

2 Likes

“The observations allowed the conclusions that both stipules and leaves determine the flowering time and presence of stipules maximizes biomass allocation to pods and in turn the harvest index.”

4 Likes

Got it, so these are all bracts not calyxes?

6 Likes

Yes those are bracts. The calyx is inside the bract covering the ovule so to speak. Many blessings and much love

6 Likes