What would you call this ph level?

To me the ph level according to the kit kinda looks 6.5 range whats everyones opinion… i keep 2nd guessing myself think maybe im wrong…

5 Likes

I would agree around the 6.5 mark, the digital pens are worth every penny though mate :+1:

4 Likes

I thought i had ordered one according to the description it said ph and ppm and then

when it arrived its turns out it only does ppm…

4 Likes

The drops are, in my opinion, the best way to check pH. They aren’t quite as accurate as a calibrated pH meter, but everyone has a story about a pH meter that was way off. The drops are never “way off”. No batteries, no calibration, no electronics, no failure.

And yeah, you’re between 6.4-6.7 which is in upper range for soilless. Perfect color is piss yellow with a hint of green. Active hydroponics perfect color is piss yellow.

14 Likes

Upper range for soiless, what about soil? This is my tap water out of the well… just trying to figure if I’m going to need ph up or ph down or if that should be good enough for a outdoor soil in pots grow?

3 Likes

My advice for PH up or PH down, get both and you’ll never have to throw a feed away :+1:

And I will agree @vernal I’ve accidentally pushed my calibrate button rather than power but you realise pretty fast when you know your tap water is 8.2 fresh out the tap but your meter says 10.8 or some shit :rofl: each to their own anyway :100:

5 Likes

Makes sense i probably will have to buy both… was figuring if i could get away with 1 or none… tight budget but also dont wanna mess it up.

2 Likes

Perfect for soil. Yellow/green is right where you want to be. If your well water is 6.5-7, you’re very lucky.

3 Likes

Well that is awesome to hear! Thats right out of the tap straight from the well…

1 Like

Get a quality ph meter. Dont skimp here, it’s not ever worth it. Get a Blue lab etc…

7 Likes

Does a blue labs tip need to stay wet?

2 Likes

Yes they need to stay wet, a good idea is to just store your pens in a glass of pH adjusted water.

3 Likes

It has a little reservoir that you can out a couple drops of storage solution in. The cap fits on the probe and prevents it from drying out.

2 Likes

I recommend the Essentials PH pen. No need for leaving it in solution it stays accurate I rarely recalibrate mine and it’s never been out thus far.

Edit: only downside is if you’re really stoned and you push the calibrate button rather than the power you’ll have to get the solution out.

3 Likes

You might get a more accurate reading if you use a drop or 2 more test fluid. You’d probably find it was closer to 7. Save yourself a load of grief by NOT using cheap ph pens is the best advice you have here. I’m using a bluelab pen nowadays too and wishing i had splashed the cash on one long ago. I’ve known those cheap yellow things to go out by 0.2 per day so fluid kits are way better if you cant afford a good ph pen :thumbsup:

4 Likes

I wouldn’t skimp on a pH meter. Definitely one of the most important tools you can have as a grower. They also should be calibrated at least once a month. Even the good ones drift over time. I’ve had a bluelab combo for ages and I can’t see myself being able to grow without it. I replace the pH probe roughly once a year.

4 Likes

6.5-7 is what i would say

i think he is using the solution maybe to calibrate his ph meter. i am not aware of another way other than using color coded charts and the 3 calibration solutions

Just having problems with my Hanna HI98131 getting erratic and man how I rely on it. Emailing to their support to trouble shoot.

1 Like

He’s using a reagent test kit but you need to use enough of the reagent to get the proper colour reading. They are no use for calibrating a ph pen other than to get a general idea if you don’t have any ph standard 7 and 4 to do a proper job.

2 Likes