Which small humidity monitors do I want

These are cheap and relatively accurate, but you will have to open the bag or position it in the window to read. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNMKYCZ/

These are bluetooth so you can check you phone and see the humidity without opening the bag.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1)

2 Likes

Like the bluetooth, but 12 bucks. Otjhers look decent.

Yup. Put them in jars with boveda packs for a day or two. Most are within a point maybe two. Close enough for what we look for. Couple years back I found a place one eBay that sold these. Great buy not able to calibrate but solid readings you can use a silver sharpie to add plus or minus after they sit in a jar with boveda packs day or two. EDIT TO ADD I DONT KNOW WHY THE CYRILLIC LANGUAGE CAME UP IN THE LINK ??? THEY ARE $12 for 6. I bought a couple batches.

Read the description and you won’t be disappointed.

5 Likes

Oh man I forgot about this listing, thanks man

The first ones @DougDawson posted are the ones l use. I’ve gotten a few packs of them over the years and gave a couple to a friend, for the most part they were pretty accurate within 1%. Out of the 40 or so ive had, I think I only ever saw 3 or 4 that were off and even those were only about 2 to 3% different than the rest

I used them to monitor my reptile/amphibian cages too or I probably wouldn’t have had so many. Plus experimenting is fun.

1 Like

The brand escapes me but I got a bulk pack and they all read true.

Bad news is who knows how long those batteries have been on and they die quickly. Cheap enough fix just buy new batteries.

I have 17 of them so I must really like them :+1:

I also use them to determine microclimate zones in my apartment. Any direction I look there’s a sensor.

2 Likes

I use Doug’s system:
Buy a dozen of the little ones on the cheap from the Amazonians,
Put them all in a ball jar and run a “Salt Test” (link below)
After 72 hours they should all read 75%

But they won’t all read 75%, so you can keep the good ones and steal the batteries out of the bad ones before pitching them since the cheapos don’t allow calibration adjustments.

In my experience you’ll end up with over half that are usable ± 1% for less than the price of a single high-end hygrometer.

Cheers,
-Grouchy

2 Likes

Bought a 10 pack, testing now.

4 Likes

@DougDawson

Tried to buy the ones you posted, but they wouldnt ship to the States, so i got these, had good reviews and were cheap

1 Like

Nice, they look the same. Hopefully they work fairly well bud.

1 Like

When i pulled them out of the box, ALL read 43 % so looks good.

3 Likes

Yea those are the ones I have. No complaints except battery life :+1:

2 Likes

Checked this morning all 10 read 62 percent
They work so does the Boveda

2 Likes

How long was battery life ?

3 Likes

That will be hit and miss as there would be many factors at play

1 Like

I must have had a bad batch to have registered such a wide range. Who knows how long mine might have sat in the Amazon warehouse

They die slowly. Like the display fades. I think mine are 2 years old and half have died. The others you can still read if you look at them at just the right angle.

Almost worth just buying new ones than changing the batteries.

2 Likes

I’m good with a year life

1 Like

Buy the batteries in bulk on Amazon, I bought some LR44s for a timer a couple of months ago, they are only $10 for a hundred, they might not last as long as big name brands but for the money they are good.

3 Likes

I keep planning to do this but haven’t gotten around to it yet. It’s been brewing for awhile :joy:

Actually they’re e13 batteries which are the same as lr44. I’ve done my research :shushing_face:

2 Likes