Humidity Packs For Curing Weed

Anyone here use the Boveda 2- way humidity packs in their curing jars ? If so, how do you like them and what RH are you using?

2 Likes

the c-vault comes standard with the 62 percent the people that use them swear by them especially for long term storage

4 Likes

I used to. But i didnt find much difference cept a change in terpenes. Nothing i wanted. I think they are alright for jars that you open 20 times a day.

4 Likes

i defiantly think its something that makes curing easier i dont think it makes it better you know an maybe better control for larger quantities

2 Likes

I use them to help to maintain humidity as I where I live sometimes is really dry. I like them a lot will do a side by side on my current grow to compare the final aroma and report back.

2 Likes

I little off topic but nearly the same, my hippie sister in law uses a small piece of bread in her jars anyone else try this or heard of such a thing?

2 Likes

i’ve done it with tubs of tobacco that get too dry, but you gotta be careful the bread doesn’t dry out and you end with a bag of breadcrumbs… also orange peel, a moist paper towel and various other stuff. never tried with weed, wouldn’t want to alter the tastes. humidity packs are only good for long term storage as they don’t really begin working until after 48-72 hours. i had a jar of dry weed so i put a 58% integra boost in the jar with it and left it sealed for over 2 weeks and didn’t notice any change other than change of flavour

1 Like

Was the change for better or worse?

1 Like

honestly i’m not sure if the taste was affected actually but the smell when smelling the jar was different. it still tasted great

2 Likes

I’ve used humidity packs a couple times when things got a little dry during curing, and yeah, humidity packs do… something… to the smell. Odor level decreased some, but the character of the scents also seem to be impacted.

I didn’t notice any change in potency, for what it’s worth. Strains in questions were not the best tasting to begin with, so no comment there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have never tried them but have been thinking about it, and the Cvault with boveda’s seem interesting.

I use humidity packs in most of my jars. They do decrease the smell when you open the jar, but once you damage the flowers they reak like they normally do. IMO the difference in smell that people notice is due to terpenes not volatizing from humidity swings.

They due however take about 24 hours in a sealed jar to regulate the humidity to whatever percent pack you use.

2 Likes

One of the best ones I’ve done is a piece of celery just got to make sure you don’t leave it for to long doesn’t get cumb nor dose it change the flavor/taste :sunglasses:

1 Like

Before I started using the packs I would put a small wet stem in the jar with them to draw moisture from.

3 Likes

In my experience using them they actually take away smell from certain strains especially some. I still use the c vaults (overpriced shit IMO) but I don’t use the humidipaks anymore. I find they especially take the smell out of gassy/chemmy strains. It does take time, but it does happen and that’s the reason I no longer use them. Got tired of opening pounds of super pungent strains for them to lose their “gas” after a month of being stored in a jar with boveda packs. No amount of grinding, letting a nug sit out to dry out or smoking ever brought that smell back. The weed still smelled, tasted and smoked great, it was just missing that extra “something” that I always appreciate.

2 Likes

I wait until my bud is starting to get too dry and take a cotton ball, spray it once or twice with water and sit it inside with the bud. Come back and check in 12 hours to see how much humidity got absorbed. If you are careful you don’t need boveda.

I’ve noticed this as well and I have a theory.

So we know that the packs will either add or remove moisture to maintain the target humidity. I think if the curing bud is actually a little too much on the wet side, then the Boveda packs have to draw in that moisure aggressively to maintain the target humidity. Perhaps this action also “sucks out” some of the smeĺls.

Maybe if the bud is allowed to get to a true 62% on it own, through normal open-room drying and then days in the jar with regular burping and monitoring, and then the Boveda packs are only added to maintain the already near perfect conditions, then they’d draw less smell out of the buds.

Like I said, just a theory. Also, it has occurred to me that getting the bud to 62% naturally may be all that is required. In a sealed jar, it shouldn’t change much unless there are big temperature fluctuations. So maybe no need at all for the Bovedas when we put in the effort to “do it right”.

4 Likes

The bud I’ve kept in my C-vaults for the past 4 years has already been cured going in. I think it’s a trade-off. I’d much rather lose a “note” of the smell than to be smoking crispy bud that smells like nothing if I have to keep it long term. Personally have never used them for curing just storage but that theory makes sense to me too(although I’m far from a scientist :smile: ).

I’ve always had good success with jars and a hygrometer. I wonder if someone will/already has invented a digital humidor with some kind of humidifier inside it that isn’t a 2 way pack. I think that’d be pretty cool.

Something that comes to mind is when I had some really chemmy/gassy smelling green crack kush. I put half of it in a jar with a Boveda pack and the other half in with nothing. After awhile the one that had the Boveda pack smelled a bit “muted” if that makes any sense. It still smelled and smoked great but I didn’t get any gas/chem from it at all. The other jar with the exact same weed would still smack me in the face with the smell when I opened it. No amount of drying brought back that pungency. This is purely anecdotal though so who knows if something else is at play here.

1 Like

Has anyone tried these below? I haven’t but it looks interesting. I’m thinking about ordering some when I get paid.

2 Likes

My first concern would be the accuracy and quality of the hygrometers used, but they seem to be on top of their shit (if they are honest):

Each lid goes through many strict quality control measures to assure the hygrometer works properly. Each analog hygrometer is disassembled and inspected. Once it has passed this step they are compared against multiple digital hygrometers for up to 3 days to allow them all to acclimate. A final check is always made prior to shipping where we take a picture of the hygrometers that you purchased next to a couple digital hygrometers with your shipping label.

3 Likes