Who likes oranges?

No- really - Oranges! :tangerine:

My wife, son and I eat oranges every day. We’ve been doing this for a few years. There are so many varieties to pick from. We’ve developed an appreciation for them all.

Recently I tried one of these ugly “guys.”

IMG_0082

It’s known by a few different names. “Sumo” is a common brand, but technically it’s a “ dekopon mandarin.”

If you like citrus, and you see these in the store, do yourself a solid and pick one up. Don’t let the appearance put you off.

They are sweet, juicy, and easy to peel.

Truly delicious!

29 Likes

Lol gotta admit I was expecting some orange buds…

5 Likes

Love them all.

2 Likes

Also known as nipple oranges.

I like them but rarely eat them and find them messy.

2 Likes

Will hop on in this thread later. but i grow lot of citrus here in NY in buckets.

Even one kind in the ground! (flying dragon tri foliate orange)

Just this year i got my first large blossom on seedling started 11 years ago.

28 Likes

I love oranges! Usually we get the good ones around Christmas time and then I make orange juice almost every day, put some vanilla ice in it and you’re in heaven for a couple of minutes

4 Likes

this pic sums up a lot… (chaos)

17 Likes

Beautiful! -love it! Do you have a favorite that you’ve grown?

Oranges specifically would be Tangerines but i lost mine after like 4 years. Citrus in general? I dunno there are so many cool ones. I think the variegated pink lemons are probably amongst the coolest or Buddha hands?
'Kumquats ( i’m sure foreigner loves that word) are the easiest to grow in containers.

Australian finger limes*** by far the coolest but i have killed 3

2 Likes

I think there’s one strain of orange that is pink inside I’ve seen them in my grocery store.

4 Likes

I think there are a few different red-fleshed oranges…

13 Likes

Love the sumos, and a lot of citrus in general. They are a pain to peel but a pomelo/pumelo/citrus maximus is always delightful. It’s like a smoother grapefruit, but best to hand peel with a very thick meaty fibrous between the fruit and the skin.

1 Like

Do they have seeds? Cause I’ll buy some and save the seeds…

1 Like

Haha this is great. Seems between disliking kiwi fruit and liking oranges OG is becoming an authority in surveying our food preferences.

I had to pipe up here because oranges are my go to for covering up smoke smell. After a smoke if I need to cover up the smell I just peel an orange - spritz some of the peel on my beard and face and hands and eat it. By the time I handle the skins and devour the thing I like to believe I’ve covered up the lingering weed smoke smells.

5 Likes

I always keep a part of the peel in my pocket to nibble on if I’ll be talking to people or heading to work etc.

2 Likes

I was just reading that about pomelos!

1 Like

I’ve been saving mandarin and lemon seeds, I’m gonna sow some, thanks for making this thread!

1 Like

Sumos which I like very much, were $6.99 Lb here not long ago. :scream:

1 Like

Fruits boo fruits down with all fruits!

3 Likes

I have fresh meiwa Kumquat seeds if anyone wants to play.

8 Likes