Wide leaves with an open bud structure

This is probably going to read strange as most people want to grow rock hard nuggets but I’m looking for recommended wide leaf varieties that have a loose structured flower for growing in the tropics. My humidity is not too crazy due to living in a dry forest but it definitely is a factor. I always top my plants pretty late in veg which is pretty stressful for them when they go in to flower but this helps with more medium size colas instead of one main crown and gives better air flow. I never have huge nugs either way, limited sunlight guarantees that… so that too helps limit bud rot.

If we end up moving to Mexico next year and legalisation passes I’ll grow my night time weed indoors in a tent and have some landrace varieties doing their thing outdoors but until then it’s all outdoor on the balcony.

Botrytis resistant indicas would qualify too :v:t4:

5 Likes

I’m thinking you could Find a sativa that might fit the Bill. Or perhaps a heavy sativa hybrid? Is that what your after ?

3 Likes

I thought that might read a little strange haha… I don’t normally use the terms indica and sativa seeing as it’s all sativa but I’m basically looking for an indica leaning variety that grows like a sativa.

3 Likes

Ah ha… now I see the conundrum.

1 Like

Thin leaf varieties are right at home here

3 Likes

Thin leaf varieties that are great for sleep also fit the bill

1 Like

Check this out:

but if you want sleepy strains you should go indica or at least hybrids, I’ve got some Malawi Gold if you want it … beer3|nullxnull

6 Likes

Great read thanks @George1961 , unfortunately apart from the cold climate Dutch variety mentioned the rest were heavy leaning Sativas.

I guess I’m hoping for something like a Thai x Afghani that keeps the genotype of the Thai but smokes like the Afghani. I smoke mostly sativa up till sun down but then I like something more sedative and the wife only smokes after dinner so she only wants indicas.

The Malawi sounds nice, 16 weeks in flower… long one, might need a legal setting to grow that to it’s full potential. Have you given it a crack in the Spanish sun?

:I apologise if I got your country incorrect George, I think I read you were in Spain but the memory is not what it uses to be haha

3 Likes

Yeap, I’m in the sunny Spain (but not so here in the North :cloud_with_rain:), had mould and went indoors, you should consider it too, at least for the indicas. I searched for something resistant and found Northern Lights. Checking it back this is it:

Northern Lights is an indica marijuana strain made by crossing Afghani with Thai."

Maybe that would be your choice. I am now fighting box|nullxnull with my first sativas (indoors) but I think this round they are going to stunt me pelea|nullxnull or finish burnt by the leds.

Does your wife take a siesta? zz|nullxnull :grin: Here’s one thread you should look at if haven’t yet:

I’ve got many of them as I only vape at night thanks to their generosity, can share them with you if needed … beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

I love the north of Spain, great pulpo:) I can see how the weather that comes up from Portugal could cause you some issues outdoors for sure… beautiful stretch of coastline. I used to grow in the Valencia area indoors, too many growers in Spain though… everyone is transporting mites or pm or both haha. My A/C broke down and I had to call the only ‘canna friendly’ repair guy I knew, 2 days later I had PM in the exact spot he was working and it spread like wild fire.

Good call but I guess it depends on the pheno. I’ve definitely seen some NL with firm nuggets.

My first indoor experience was with two 14 week flower super silver hazes that I flipped at 4ft :man_facepalming:t4: Things stretched to the ceiling, 2 plants filled the whole room, some buds were in the lights getting fried haha. I had to army crawl in to water them… don’t even ask about emptying the drip trays faark, it still gives me anxiety haha. I ended up with 950 & 1250 grams dried off 2 plants though so it was worth it in the end but I definitely learnt the hard way.

She’s a workaholic mate and when she’s not she’s at the gym, puts me to shame

I was lucky to also get some of the Orange Grove off @JustSumTomatoes & @CADMAN, they are currently at my safe address in Australia and will be run outdoors by a friend for meds for my mum in September. Unfortunately until covid restrictions ease I can’t enter Australia so I really appreciate the kind offer mate but can’t promise when I’m able to pick my seed stash up. Hopefully it’s sooner than later

4 Likes

Are you able to use KUSH or short indicas? Getting them started indoors wont hurt also, if you are in a climate that has some humidity towards the end. Helps me in South Florida get out of the ground sooner so they are finished before it gets too humid. I also use Terreplenish microbes that keep PM at bay. Good Luck.

2 Likes

I have to do some research on this, thanks for the tip mate :v:t4:

I am, I stay away from rock hard buds though if I can.

1 Like

A little tricky to tell the density in the photo but these indi doms were harvested with no mold issues.

1 Like