World record yield?

I vote strippers lol. I bet if he put big plants in the ground in bigger holes he could top the 30-pound mark.
I’m hoping in New York we’ll be allowed to grow at least a few plants at home. 5 or 6 thirty Pounders should get me by for the year if I dont smoke too much!:sweat_smile::rofl:

13 Likes

A dream of mine is to grow a plant indoors in a garbage can all winter and put it in the ground outside in late May, harvest in October. I’ve never seen a 10+ footer in real life.

16 Likes

I would love to do the same thing! For two decades now I’ve been trying to keep plants small. I can’t wait to grow them big! If we’re only allowed to grow a couple plants in New York, I’m going to grow them under a massive plastic teepee, so they can grow as tall as they want. I saw my cousins plants 4 years ago, and they maxed out at about 12 ft tall. Even a plant that size is just massive, and I think it was close to Fifteen Paces to walk around it. Every marijuana growers should have the opportunity to see a plant that big at least once in life. Truly spectacular. The largest annual plant on Earth

15 Likes

outside wont take that much to get ten feet, well it didnt in Michigan. A tall strain, grew some in pickle crates when i was a teen some of them hit about 12 started em in march put em out in may . Bagseed no idea. most likely South American or Mexican

10 Likes

Isn’t there an issue putting a clone outside when it’s 12hr or less of light a day? I read to put clones out on or after the solstices so it won’t start to bloom and have to re veg. But then again it’ll have all spring to figure it out.

5 Likes

I put a clone outside in April and it immediately began to flower, finished flowering or nearly so in June, went back into vegetation mode and was harvested again in October.

5 Likes

Man, I’ve got 4 big clones right now, but I dont think I’ll be able to keep them going that long to put outside! Life goals…

I once grew a tangie that ended up about 10 feet. I had it in a 7’ tent and had to bend it back down on itself… it just wouldn’t flower. Like 4 months in my flower tent and I eventually just killed it because it was sooooooo massive and just wouldn’t flower

3 Likes

Double harvest off one plant? Hmmm… so a fast flowering strain could actually ripen for harvest and then regrow…

5 Likes

In my experience yes. The buds from the first harvest started to get some leafy growth before they were picked. If I were to do something like this intentionally, I would start flowering in March instead of April. The buds didn’t show any vegetative growth until late May or early June. My plants normally begin to flower when day length is around 14 hours… between August first and August 15th at 42 North

6 Likes

Nice, I’m going to try a few outdoors on my buddies property this year. I may give it a try, start blooming some plants as the thaw is mostly done and put them out as soon as last chance of frost is over. I’m at 43N so not much off from you as far as daylight, but spring can be unpredictable.

4 Likes

Those are some trees 20 lbs is a massive plant . I grow in big bags but six or seven pounds is max but I only harvest tops .

8 Likes

This summer, I’ll be doing a “land of giants” theme here. I already got giant elephant ears, giant Inca corn (those get 12 feet tall and the ears are up to 20 inches long) and will be getting some giant gunnera. A few 20-foot tall Nepalese plants would go nicely with that theme. Unfortunately, cannabis still VERY illegal here, and a 20-foot plant would be a bit conspicuous. On the other hand, legalization is no longer a question of ‘if’, but a question of ‘when.’ All of the other giants will be enough to keep me occupied for now.

10 Likes

Did that happen? That Giant Inca corn sounded neat. Where did you get seed? Seeds of Change?

5 Likes

I had to scrub that project. You know how it is; sometimes life gets in the way. I ordered the giant Inca corn online, though I don’t remember where. I still have the giant elephant ear bulbs, and we’re looking into getting some giant gunnera. Maybe next year…
We did, however. grow piles of peppers and figured out how to plant those next year. We also got even more raspberry runners. We also got some coleus to grow to mammoth proportions. We were too busy to create our Land of Giants theme, but a lot of other things got done and we learned a great deal.
Between our projects and OverGrow, I’ve learned a LOT these last few months.

4 Likes

I just learned that a pepper plant is a perennial and that if you heavily prune it back and dig it up You can get it to come back next year. The 2nd year Something like a jalapeno pepper plant can reach 8’ tall and produce 250 peppers! Down there in Georgia that might be an option for you. Imagine a pepper tree!
After legalization…GIANT OAXACA😁

5 Likes

indeterminant tomatoes can be made to get huge too, and while usually grown annually, can live for years in a greenhouse.
There is something special about a giant plant. The power, stature, bragging rights with cool pics, lots of weight, ect. But they can be a pita if ur not good at dealing with pm and it shows up. I still want to experiment with something I figured out 2 years ago. I put a couple freakshows out on a hill in pots a month before last frost thinking they would just die. Lows went down to upper 20s at night a couple times. The tips all died, but then they kicked into gear way before anyone else so I planted them. If they weren’t freakshows they would have gotten seriously massive. I’m probably growing fast plants next year, so its even less likely to work. If it works with fast plants, I think it’ll work everywhere.
Taken June 1st in mid michigan 2 springs ago. It had been outside in a pot for a month, then in the ground for 2 weeks. No reveg. By the time they are recovering from the cold damage, they know the light schedule, so no reveg what so ever.

8 Likes

I’m going to have to grow a perennial pepper. That’s very cool.
With the Oaxacan, I’m thinking LST it until it goes into preflower. The more nodes become branches, the more colas.
I’m anxiously awaiting the latest news on legalization. Something big is going to change in the next year. It’s at critical mass.

2 Likes

It seems like plants don’t necessarily have to be on 12/12 to begin flowering. They seem to flower once the days become noticeably shorter. Can temperatures affect flowering very much?

1 Like

A quick cold snap ( 95 degrees to 32 degrees in 24 hrs) can delay flowering a couple weeks ime. Tropicals slow down under 40 degrees or so. Super rough guide of course. Some genes are tougher than others.

1 Like

I was wondering if a sudden change, from 95 down to about 75, could help trigger early flowering.

1 Like