18/6 to avoid outdoor starts flowering?

That’s right on the money

1 Like

Hi,
I get clones from friends and throw them right outside, under filtered light for a few days before exposing them to full sun.
More ofter than not, the clones will start to flower.
Unless the mother plant was not lighted properly or the clone received inconsistent light, the plant will eventually 're-veg, usually within a few weeks, but sometimes a bit longer.
Plants grown from seed usually have less problems if started outside, versus under lights inside and transferred out.
I’m in So. Cali and we have a long growing season. The earlier l have started my plants outside, the greater incidence l have had of plants flowering early and then re-veging. I rarely worry, as they almost always grow well, with the exception of a few long-grow hazes or sativas, and even those always pleasantly surprise me.
Hope that helps and good luck with your grow.
-Q
“To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.” - Audrey Hepburn

5 Likes

I buy clones that are grown under light 24 / 7 and I do the same as soon as I get home I replant into 1 gal pots . Then after about 30 days I move outdoors for a few hours a day in the warm sun then back under the lights . After about a week of this I start leaving out a little longer each day for a week . Then into the ground after may 1 hopefully all danger of frost is over . I have done the same from regular seed but before planting they get the 12 /12 light cycle for a week to sex the starts . I trying feminized seed this season same method but may go 18/6 for a few weeks and no dark cycle . N. California

2 Likes

I wish I could find some clones.
Even getting seeds has been a pain and then this covid shit has really made everything harder. A friend gave me six different feminized seeds that l’m not crazy about but what can l do?

i’ve never grown outdoors but i’ve given someone else small plants one year and large fully grown plants the next year, both times from my 24/0 tent, and both years they didn’t even begin flowering until like fkin late aug or sept, and the growing season is basically almost over by then… felt bad, this year i’m going to give him autoflowers :laughing:

Aug 1, 2019 had 15.25 hr daylight… Sept 1 still had 13.5 hrs and a high of only 13C (55F)

I’m in a similar situation. Might be an idea to trigger flowering indoors. But yeah autos will get it done. Ideally for photos you could test trigger the strains for perfect timing for putting it out cause some will trigger round 13 or 14 hours and you can trigger inside then move out once the outdoor light hours hit the minimum number to stay in flower. It should give you an extra month or so.

it’s weird because my friend would also grow 5-7 plants of his own seed stock (all bag seeds collected over the years) and his would be like 4-5 weeks in by the time mine are starting… but even his dont get to fully finish since we’re 50* north. autoflowers are the way for outdoors in my area i think, or very fast flowering sub 7 week strains

1 Like

Yeah autos are the way for ease and peace of mind. I’m 52n so I got a little collection of autos for myself plus a few frisian dew which should hopefully finish

1 Like

Clones are near impossible to get where I am but seed banks still ship, what’s wrong with the seeds your mate gave you?

@legalcanada you should look up the 60 oz in 60 days topic. It has some info on doing photos in a peculiar way. For the lower latitude grower it’s a way to harvest early to beat the rippers/ helos but happens to double as a way for northerners to grow full year photos. It just takes an indoor component to start them into flowering. It’s a really interesting read. The conclusion was that for every week you flowered inside you could finish a week earlier outside of you sync it right. You’d have smaller plants but they would finish fast

*At this point in the year your plants should be going out normally. No budding at this point :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Plants right now should be growing like crazy…!!