A Better Way to Giveaway?

Good, plenty of kids in the neighborhood. Have to do some more research on getting away with KIDnapping!!! SS/BW… :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

We kinda wished it shot out the butt ourselves

5 Likes

My 8 year old is on it!:wink: He will take that as a personal challenge lolol

I enjoyed it, didn’t think it would become quite the feeding frenzy it was, but I had fun. The goal was exactly what happened, get 1500 seeds out into the world and have some fun community building time. I’m sure a few faces popped out of the woodwork that may have stayed a lurker for longer without it. I tried to space stuff apart a bit, but with that many seeds putting out a flurry was honestly easier.

I didn’t do a sign up, I think a sign up prunes all the people who didn’t get a sign up from participating. The next one will probably be a private lounge event, I like the idea from @OleReynards’ thread, making it a reason to participate in the community and attain that higher trust level. And it will put seeds in the hands of more members of the community who interacted more regularly, less dibs and dashers…

19 Likes

Well this thread got dark quick, and from the last person I would have expected it from! :rofl:

I like his idea but always have the same concerns about the private lounge stuff. While on one hand I like the idea on the other hand I worry about having people gain access to it for the wrong reasons. Personally I want people to engage and gain the perks because they want to be here. I dont want a bunch of people who just did what they had to with the goal of access to the private events. The old double edged sword thing and all. I wish I had a good answer to this.

4 Likes

Agreed. But if I ran a giveaway and said only tl3 and it wasn’t behind a wall, I’d have to vet everyone as the dibsing was happening and I just think it’s unrealistic. I think the mix and variety of ways to attain seeds here is really nice, there is something for everyone.

8 Likes

Very valid point. There is no perfect way, there just cant be. Variety is the best compromise. You will never satisfy everyone with every event nor should one try. If you miss out on one for whatever reason there will alway be another. It’s more important to get the better things from here. The friendships, the comradery, the knowledge. All these things are better than free seeds and should really be the purpose for being here. Seeds should be at the bottom of the list IMO.

12 Likes

I’m fairly new around here and can’t speak for everyone but I joined for the knowledge all of you experienced growers have to share. The freebies are fun but its the community that’s keeping me around!

9 Likes

In the 8 months I’ve been here I’ve upped my game considerably faster than the 10 years prior. The ability to ask so many seasoned growers is a game changer.

12 Likes

I like the idea of a private lounge giveaway. Nothing “elite” necessarily that’s being kept away from the public. But I for one leave most of the giveaways be. I have more seeds than I have room to plant for a while, I’d rather someone who needed them got them. Now if you’re offering to regulars, I don’t feel so guilty taking seeds away.

8 Likes

Yep, that’s how I feel. I have too many seeds already and plans to make more, gotta put them where they will get grown!

6 Likes

I honestly had no idea there was a giveaway yesterday, but I also don’t really need anymore seeds lol.
I get this whole internet speed issue but the dibs system probably gives one better odds than doing a timed signup. The longer the time, the more people that will sign up and thus decreased odds. With the dibs system you probably have 5-10 people waiting to snipe. Now you take that and make it a 5 min signup list, now you could easily have 50 people to compete with for that same pack.

In the end it should be whatever is easiest for the one giving the seeds. No system will be best or fair for everyone. Plus this is OG if you really want seeds that bad, there’s always someone looking to send out free seeds. I’ve sent out a bunch and I’ve had people send seeds to me. The key is to not be dead set on wanting one specific thing.

7 Likes

Hahaha… I started the whole “Dibs” thing after seeing another user do it on IG to sell dab tools. I thought it would be a fun way to give away some seeds.

I missed the BBQ event but my seeds were there. :grin:

Mr.Sparkle does the sign up and a random roll picks the winner thing on Saturdays. I do think thats a more fair system, but the “dibs” makes it more of a game.

14 Likes

Everybody who’s interested send me $5 in an envelope and the first one to get here gets the seeds.

Or just dibs. If you don’t happen to win I bet if you ask politely you will get some anyway.

Or a dice roll.

Or a detailed questionnaire including a full medical history.

8 Likes

Yes, the generosity here is contagious.

4 Likes

Yeah. I got a pack of your Zak Haze x JLO which after a little bit of looking around seems to be a CBD/CBG strain? Which is something I’m just starting to dabble in for my issues and I’m very excited to try it. I also had the itch to give out a pack (That I need to get shipped today!) because it’s really a good time spreading the love around. That’s why I’m curious if someone has any ideas to make it fairer for the people who aren’t in my position and didn’t even have a shot at a lot of stuff.

Simplest way to give all a chance I would think is get a sign up list, each person has a number and a random number generator makes the call. You lose the live interaction but give all the same chance.

8 Likes

This is how I’d do it. But in my situation I’d be giving away a bunch of the same seed packs so I wouldn’t have to worry about complaints about who got what seeds.

3 Likes

I have had a chance to win some awesome stuff from @DougDawson, @ReikoX , @Mr.Sparkle, @misterbee, @Enjoi802, @Eagles009 and some I am missing. Others aren’t as lucky.

So, I try following Newbies and oldies on their post. If someone seems to be in need, I pm and offer some. That is how I got started, people pm’ing me and offering them to me. The first time I had trouble excepting. So that is how I do it. I have some that were gifted, some I won, some I bought from auctions and runs here to gift as I have never bred, yet. It is also why I am in the seed runs.
Another thing I have done is the pay it forward for people that can’t afford all the shipping. That is another way to get them to people in need without the seed donors spending $$.
That way people with slow internet or can’t be here all the time have a chance too.

14 Likes

People use different methods all the time, I don’t feel like we need rules and restrictions on how someone chooses to be generous with the group imo.

13 Likes