Aeroponics root mass overload

Anyone vegging or flowering in aeroponics. My root mass is massive on both plants in flower. Has anyone tried tying them up? Lst the roots basically. I had to cut one plant out of the sprayers last night. I need a net for them or something, i need ideas, help.

3 Likes

Pictures please

2 Likes

You can do root trimming, I often had to do it in my RDWC, my first grow with it I had roots reaching the entirety of my return lines and started clogging up the screens, when I pulled them out one was over 5 feet long.

2 Likes

I can take a picture tonight

Yeah, i had to pull roots back up into the spray chamber as they where growing down into the reservoir. They where wrapped all around the sprayers. I have never heard of cutting the roots, is that safe though?

1 Like

Yes definitely, look up root trimming . I know tons of people who do it, I do it on my moms in coco too sometimes

2 Likes

Yep root trimming is a thing.

Also if roots grow very long it means the air/water ratio is off. Dialed aeroponic roots should look like a fuzzy puff ball the size of a fist

1 Like

Do you have photos of this as i have been fighting this issue for like 15 years and never seen what you are describing. I always have massive roots and fairly healthy plants, with good harvest. Would love to see a root system that doesn’t try to grow down and go everywhere. I will say i do have pretty dry environments this time of year as it is winter here and i am limited on energy consumption so i cant add a humidifier, so i do get an occasional flipped leaf due to dryness. But overall pretty healthy plants.

1 Like

I’ve been dabbling is semi HPA if that’s a thing.
I don’t quite get the fine mist but somewhere in between.
I use a 5 gallon pail with 4 misters near the top. Positive displacement 12v pump on a cycle timer.

Been thinking of installing some sort of mesh below the plant to help spread out/ support the mass of roots.
Something like eve trough mesh but the full area of the pail. Only use about a gallon of water in the bottom of pail. May do a separate pail under neath for a res.
Just been playing. Here is a grow I just chopped 2 plants in what I usually use for a cloning bucket.

For me these roots look pretty good. If I try a mesh shelf part way down I’ll post any success.

Uploading: IMG_3671.jpeg…

1 Like

I use grow bags the roots will trim themselves :grinning:

1 Like

I’ll add close ups soon

4 Likes

5 Likes

Phil you look like you have the same problem as me, massive roots.

I have sprayers more than misters as well to clarify,
Id also like to add these where rooted clones that got 3 weeks of veg and are about just under knee high bushes, and are on like day 2 of flowering. This is my root mass.

I want to know more about this it looks controlled, and there is not a million tap’s going down.

1 Like

i’m interested in this. i’ve always used air stones at the bottom to put air into the roots and seem to recall having massive root systems that made it hard to change the water. since i’m running a much bigger grow now than i ever have i need all the help i can get to make it easy. do they need any maintenance or just contain the roots automatically? and do you have a link? i plan on using old cat litter buckets for the plants if i can since they give them away with the litter i buy anyway, but i may need to go to totes. if i go to totes i need to keep the roots separate somehow. i made the mistake before of trying to use dividers in the tote. it just added a little weight to it when i had to harvest. it seems to me keeping the roots separate is important although it may not be that important as long as it’s only two plants at a time. still neater and unless it’s a lot of extra expense or work probably worth it.

1 Like

Phil looks like DWC. My roots get like this too. I respect y’all who can work aero and ebb, etc. I’m always battling roots in those systems and just stopped fighting them.

5 Likes

thanx for that reply. it just alerted me to how high i was talking about my dwc system 20 years ago thinking it was similar to this aeroponics system. i may not have gotten that at all without it.

1 Like

It’s not a problem, I let it be…I don’t do any overthinking and keep it simple…The plant was fine and dandy because it was in water and my air stone wasn’t clogged up which means the whole plant was still getting oxygen.

When the perfect air/water ratio is reached aeoponic roots stop growing down and start growing hairs side ways giving immense surface area and the most efficient root zone.

I grew in rdwc for years and have not seen it there, only other occasion I’ve seen is newly sprouted seeds.
Like so

I couldn’t find photos of a root ball engulfed in hair but know they exist haha

4 Likes