DWC brown discoloring on roots

Hey guys, changed out water in one of my buckets today and noticed this funky coloring on the roots of one plant. The plant itself looks great into the third week right now.

I’ve got three buckets going this is the only one with discoloring on the roots but its also the only one I’m running advanced nutes in, also for the first time, so I dunno if thats normal. Any help is appreciated thanks.

5 Likes

I’ve seen some clumping with advanced nutrients before.
Can you gently rinse the roots off?

2 Likes

Yah I’ve got a spray handle thing in my bathtub. I’ll give it a go thanks!

2 Likes

Ya give it a rinse off with that or a pump spray bottle.
What kind of temperatures has your grow area been at?
could be nothing could be the start of bacteria rotting the roots but we’ll see after you wash

4 Likes

You might want to use a little hydroguard if you’re not already

4 Likes

Being uk you could use elixir and or chempak , save yourself lots of money and time searching for good nutes : )

3 Likes

@WubbaLubbaDubDub the tent is usually 23-25C at its hottest. Drops to 16C at night. Was a little warmer for the first week until I got my new room set up properly but even that only got as hot as 28 once and awhile and still dropped off lots at night.

@Hydro921 no I’m currently not. I’ll look into it.

@ifish from what I understand Advanced Nutrients are supposed to be top of the line? I also live in Canada, not the Uk, where you get that idea from?

Thanks for the input people, I really appreciate the responses.

2 Likes

How did it look after you rinsed the roots?
You might have to look into running a sterile res.
Edit-
And if you can wrap your buckets with reflective material it might help keep temps down a little too

Hahaha sorry about that @Rriichh was bombed earlier lol

@WubbaLubbaDubDub waiting until lights off tonight to rinse the roots. I don’t want to expose them to any more light than I have to. My last grow was the same set up and Temps with no issues. That’s why I was a little stumped why I ended up with the browning this run. I’ll update tonight thanks for the help!!

1 Like

No problems! You had me confused is all haha

@Rriichh , no worries , any time you fancy chatting about nutes etc pm me : )

1 Like

Take a pump sprayer,with PH’ed water and spray them as soon as possible in the buckets.
The amount of time it will take,The light will not effect the roots, waiting to see if there is a problem will effect the roots fast.

If it’s temps and bacteria you’ll have to look into running bennies or sterile res.
Putting reflective stuff on top the lid and insulating the buckets could help too.

2 Likes

Could be root rot, do you have an air stone? What’s the water temperature? You could wash them with diluted peroxide and pull out those brown hairs, if they have no resistance while doing so … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Fuck, you guys are great! Appreciate all the input!

So I pulled it up and rinsed it off with the shower head in my bathtub.

Turns out the chunky looking thing was a piece of black plastic from the bucket when I drilled the hole for one of the hoses. It was all wrapped up in the roots. I untangled it and removed. Gave the rest of the roots a rinse and they look way better and they weren’t falling apart as I rinsed them.

They still don’t look as healthy as the roots from the girl next door(both crop king PK). But the other one i am running General Hydroponics Trio and this sickly looking one is Advanced Nutes.

Here’s a pic post rinse…still a little stained but better than before

Here’s a pic of the General Hydroponics one for comparison. Everything the same with both plants besides the nutes

And three healthy looking girls topside. The one in the back is Blueberry X OG also from cropking ( PS. Ignore the numbers on my temp monitor)

2 Likes

@George Hiya George. Two airstones per bucket. Water temp is 18c right now (early afternoon for my tent).

2 Likes

Those are good news for your plants, they look fine. I also use Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect icon8|nullxnull (there are AN haters around) since I used it in DWC:

with four airstones (they love it), glad there’s no issues with yours … beer3|nullxnull

5 Likes

man, those are some frakin’ beautiful roots! looks like angel hair pasta. I simply got to give props were props are due! when I can, and I notice that is? which is more often, than not.

regards,

1 Like

@George 4 stones per bucket eh? How many buckets?

I’m planning on running 4 buckets ultimately, 2 stone per bucket. My hydro store only sells these small pumps you see in the picture that can run 2 stones per pump. Ideally I would prefer one pump that would run all the buckets. No idea what to get though…

1 Like

My pump was similar to yours, I attached the four stones (elongated ones) to a plastic net used in barbeques so when I pulled the lid to change water the stones were also pulled (you can see the four blue tubes). It was a huge plant for being my second grow, but I abandoned DWC as I wanted to have more variety … Pirata|nullxnull

You can find more potent pumps with available slots for multiple airstones:

I’m on soil now but still think hydro is easier, faster and with great results … beer3|nullxnull

2 Likes