Affordable COB LED Build

Using the driver that’s there you could run 8 cobs for maximum efficiency. Would add maybe £50 to your build cost but you’d be close to 200w. And seeing as you would have to order 10 cobs really you could mix the spectrum up to suit

1 Like

Genuine 200w of LED illumination would probably give my current 400w hps a run for it’s money but not when i fit the 600w bulb that my digital ballast can also run. I’ve been holding off to see how the 400 got on heat wise and so far no prob so i recon a 600 would be ok until summer, if and when that arrives. Think i’m more interested in the SolStrip solution than COB’s so that’s probably the way i will eventually go when i can afford to. Sorry i’m rambling, getting quite caned on a cookie just now. A

1 Like

That would be around 200w not exactly. After factoring in driver loss etc but it would still give your 400 a run for its money.

I’m still very much learning when it comes to the solstrips. Hopefully that side will go well. The WiFi controlled aspect is all new too. And being able to vary the intensity of different spectrums.

Can’t wait to get my light done and in my tent. I got 4 solstix x1’s in a sale with shipping for about £90. And got 30% off the driver for the strips too so that came in at £35 with free shipping.

3 Likes

Seems like you have a bargain there. Looking forward to seeing your build and how it works out for the most important part, the grow :thumbsup:

1 Like

There are like 2 companys I’d trust in LED-chips. OSRAM, and CREE. But I personally don’t run COBs but LASER 3W of OSRAMS newest series.

3 Likes

Any pics of your rig @Illyssian please. I’ll personally be running a solstrip x1 5000k and citizen 3500+3000k combo.

1 Like

By audio do you mean like PA rigging? Is brother albannach a raver in disguise?

1 Like

Vero 18 gen 7s have pumped out serious buddage for me. I’ve seen citi 12 12s do the same.
Both reputable companies and in the 8 to 10 dollar range.
I’ve been running my Vero 18s in nonstop 18/6 and 12/12 light cycles for over a year.
300 watts of v18s will get you near a pound in a 3x3. Driven at 1200mah 38 volts a piece

5 Likes

Haha raves well yeh i went to a few of them in the 90s and festivals too. Glastonbury used to be really great back then before everyone became glued to their mobiles Most of my diy work is with hifi amplification. High end audio for a few hundred quid kind of thing. Has it’s attractions, especially when smoking decent bud and blowing your mind with good tunes too. A

1 Like

Ok so it’s as i thought, good LED on the cheap side is a way off yet but things are looking bright :grinning:

I ordered a 600w hps to try in my cooltube, wont work in summer but that’s a way off yet. Not sure i really need it though cos the 400 is doing ok. Figured it would do me until i can afford a decent LED unit. Posted some updated pics earlier.

1 Like

Hi I’m using SANLIGHT’S (Austrian Company) S4W Lights.

But those have a pretty high usage of the Red end of the Spectrum, so I’m adding 450NM Blue additional.

So there you have a comparison, check out the light that comes after it. Maybe it is something for you with COB engine.

4 Likes

The skull with a SnapBack in front of 25k watts is me bro.

2 Likes

Very clean cut image for a raver bro. I had more hair, think Robert Carlyle in Stargate Universe and add a few inches in height and build. Yeh i guess i just looked like a 90’s dope dealer :grin: still do just more craggy.

2 Likes

Clean cut. We got there at 8pm the day before after being in town from lunch time. Don’t know about clean cut. Definitely half cut though :joy:

Sorry bro can only picture Robert Carlyle as begby off train spotting lol

2 Likes

2 Likes

Is your face always as serious as his bro lol.

And 90s raver I like. Went guest list to happy Monday’s a couple years back. (Rowetta is a mate) ended up backstage with her and bez getting wankered. Photo takes pride of place in my lounge I’m that sad

2 Likes

That’s me when i get up to find a bunch of empty jars and still 2 weeks from harvest. Thankfully not that often :grin:

1 Like

I’ve been thinking a bit more about low budget COB setups, i like the idea of say 6 individual 50w COB’s with their own passive heat sink’s but that’s starting to get pricey so needs a cheap driver solution. One idea i had was to use a cheap DC driver for each chip and run the lot from a used lab bench power supply. Not sure if that’s a good plan or not but if possible it would allow for a staged build spreading the cost.

https://www.ledsupply.com/led-drivers/mean-well-ldd-l-series-cc-step-down-mode

2 Likes

I was going to suggest an LDD, Growmau5 just did a live stream on IG about them yesterday. :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Cheers bro i will check that out too.

2 Likes