Any coco growers using seed starter trays for starting your seeds šŸ¤”?

I understand for sure, and good on ya for trying to minimize waste. Itā€™s difficult to be 100% plastic waste freeā€¦

I ended up ordering these since they are silicon and reusable via the dishwasher:

Iā€™m gonna try them and see how it goes. It doesnā€™t have a humidity dome, but I keep humidity in the room at 60ā€¦ I know thatā€™s not super high, but I figure Iā€™ll run one test like that making sure the coco doesnā€™t dry out via bottom feeds if necessary and see if I can do without a dome.

6 Likes

Those look great! Very nice! I have had these trays since the 90ā€™s LOL! I am sort of a hoarder :grimacing:

1 Like

How about jiffy pellets, theyā€™re coco fibre and peat so can go into any medium? Remove the netting around them first though.

3 Likes

I personally did not have good luck with those. Not 100% sure why :thinking:

I use the jiffy peat pucks as well. I start the seeds in the pucks, then after a few weeks I transplant them into 18oz party cups of pH and buffered coco. Final homes are 1 gal plastic pots filled with said coco.

2 Likes

Sorry I didnā€™t quote it right lol! :crazy_face:

1 Like

I go straight into those starter trays without coco for tomatoes. I am just trying it now for cannabis. I might screw it up the first go, but Iā€™m done with cubes too.

2 Likes

Do you mean with coco? Or do you use something else in the tray?

2 Likes

yup 72 cell 1020 tray insert thats cut down to various sizes cost like $3 each cell is about 4cm and i use coco when i use them.

They can be a disadvantage when trying to keep the growth up on autos, but still can run about a week and you can select from that point.

6 Likes

Sorry ā€” with coco. Got autocorrected.

2 Likes

I am a dirt grower, but I use the root riot type plugs with great success.
What Iā€™ve learned is to use them upside down so there is a gap between plugs and any water in the starter tray. Less chance of over saturation and rot.

2 Likes

@DougDawson @Mr.Sparkle

I think Iā€™ve seen you guys basically sprout seeds in a paper towel and then bury the sprout like half way down with the cotyledons above ground?

Is there a name for that method? Iā€™m wondering how that works :thinking:

2 Likes

In the past, honestly last couple years I just float my seeds in water with some h2o2 mixed in using an old contact case, once the seeds throw a tail in a day or two they get planted usually under they are cm in length. Only time they go wrong is if say I have some bacteria present from reused coco that I didnā€™t mute down or kill in the first place and thatā€™s doesnā€™t happen too often.

4 Likes

Wouldnā€™t really be doable, it wouldnā€™t fit after hydration.

Drill a hole into the center and place an oven thermometer probe in said hole, thatā€™s what Iā€™m gonna try.

Oh, there it is.
Gives me another reason to use mine anyways.

Edit - Iā€™ve been baking coco all day now. I have it in a pot covered with tin foil, and Iā€™m using this:

I have the ā€œmeatā€ probe poked through the tin foil down into some of the coco in the pot. I had broken up the coco to fit in a smaller oven but changed my mind. If I wanted to do a bigger solid brick/piece, Iā€™d drill a hole and snugly insert the probe. Or, you can easily split the coco brick along/with the grain (the sides) or pierce it with the probe maybe.

I have experienced it.