Any coco growers using seed starter trays for starting your seeds 🤔?

Something like this:

Or this:

I’m trying to get away from rockwool starter cubes and looking for an alternative for starting about 30 seeds at a time in coco.

I think these trays are intended mostly for soil, but wondering if anyone uses something like this for coco :thinking:

4 Likes

Are these the trays that disintegrate when you plant them or you have to remove them manually?

1 Like

So one of them would disintegrate, the other is plastic.

I was thinking maybe something like this, where it’s plastic but reusable:

No matter what I wouldn’t put any of them into the coco, even the biodegradable ones.

3 Likes

I can’t speak to coco specific because I use peat but off the top of my head I see no reason why it shouldn’t work as long as you pH and buffer them (this is all I know about coco :joy:)and keep them damp.

I’ve done it in egg cartons before and found handling micro rootballs for transplanting a bit of a pain. Now I use 1L starters as my preferred method.

Best of luck.

3 Likes

Yeah I am basically going to finish in 1L pots… I thought about starting them in 1L pots BUT I need to do another test run first and make sure the sprout rates look good. That’s why I was thinking maybe using these tiny hellish things so at least I could do a test run first with seeds I don’t care about, and make sure my sprout rate was at least 90%.

2 Likes

I think this is a good idea.

I’ve had good success keeping the seeds soaked as well as keeping them moist so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

But if you have practice seeds by all means use them to your advantage!

2 Likes

In my rockwool cube test I only got 9/12 to sprout in about 90 hours.

75% is not quite high enough… I’m close to 100% with paper towel method, but I have had seed that germed in a paper towel not sprout in coco/perlite :thinking:

It’s been a while since I messed with coco so I’m not 100% sure why that would have happened, but it’s possible that I lost the seed under some perlite. Not sure…

Hopefully I can run another test and get 90% or higher using paper towel → 100% coco.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

I use small grow bags that I fill with coco and they work amazing. When ready you just plant them in their new pot bag and all.

11 Likes

i use starter trays. the nice ones are worth splurging on, i use these. head up though coir sometimes has fungus gnats right out of the bag. theyre not a problem for large plants but can eat young seedlings roots sometimes causing trouble. I sterilize my coir in a pressure cooker for 30m @ 15psi (only for seed starts)

2 Likes

Nice, thanks for the tip!

I have a brick of coco in the oven right now at 270F, and it will be in there for 8 hours :grimacing:

that should work. you probably only need to cook it until the core has reached 170f for ~20m. technically we only need to pasteurize not sterilize. anyhow. i use one of these with a pot that i fill with coir and place entirely inside.

edit: just noticed amazon is selling them for $1250. thats some crazy person trying to sell their stuff at a markup. these go for about ~$350 new. i have two of them but realistically youll only need one

1 Like

The brick is pretty massive (5kg) so I’m not sure how long it will take the center to hit 170f.

I’ve never had a bug in my grow room though (knock on wood), so I’m trying to keep it that way if at all possible… One way I keep the missus OK with having an indoor grow is keeping it bug free.

8 Hours is probably overkill though…

2 Likes

I have those starter pots that degrades and had not good experience for soil.About Coco,I didn’t use Them,instead,I Just use Little plastica cups where I cut holes like those:

Since I start to fertigate as soon as the seed pops up I have to skip those pots because they destroy when at contact with water,Imagine how they would become in a 2x watering at day till runoff…no way.I transplant when roots goes outside of the plastic cup

2 Likes

Not me. I start seeds in solo cups filled about 2/3 with coco, which I can keep going for upwards of 30 days. I’ve found that using plugs or pucks or whatever, results in needing to be transplanted sooner rather than later.

4 Likes

you should be hydrating it prior to pasteurization else the oven will have trouble getting it to temp evenly

2 Likes

Normally I break it up first, but that’s why I figure I’ll just leave it 8 hours.

I’ll check it with an IR thermometer when I take it out and break it open

2 Likes

gotcha. the steam is really important for successful pasteurization. in the future, definitely consider hydrating it and tossing it all in a large oven tray. that being said the issue with gnats in coir isnt huge. most bags come clean, the bricks are even cleaner since they are “sterilized” in a sense when theyre compressed. i lost a couple expensive seeds then went overkill with my regimen to never let that happen again

2 Likes

Yeah I understand wanting to go overkill to be safe lol :slight_smile:

Hence 8 hours at 270 :X

I would go higher, but I read stories of peoples coco bricks catching fire above 350 degrees.

I figure 270 and 8 hours hopefully gets me 170 in the center for some period of time.

I will definitely check out the pressure cooker if I keep going with coco. I normally run in rockwool, but have been wanting to do some experimenting in coco/perlite to see if it can be more forgiving with automated watering times in situations where many plants are on the same timer.

2 Likes

A probe thermometer might be better that the gun because they guns only measure external temps :+1:

4 Likes

Yes, I have a ton of those flimsy trays, many I need to double tray because they have so many cracks… I don’t want to throw them away because they are non-recyclable plastic :sweat_smile: I go back and forth between these trays and rockwool cubes… I prefer the cubes but the coco is so much cheaper that I have no problem switching… but I do prefer the solid base the rockwool forms over the loose coco media that gets everywhere. I soak my seeds in water with a small amount of peroxide until the root emerges and then transplant to the pure, freshly-buffered, coco with only cal mag in it and place the trays in a covered container/domed tray to keep humidity high until the tip breaches the soil so there is enough moisture retained in the coco that the seedlings don’t wilt. Then I open up the container and let them grow away! When the coco needs watering I water with no more than 300ppm/0.6ec until they get transplanted to larger containers. I have never heard of anyone getting fungus gnats from a dehydrated brick of coco, only from bags of loose coco. Good luck, and happy growing. :v:

2 Likes