How feasible do you think it would be to use 1 liter Coco/perlite pots for 12/12 from seed?

Curious to hear your guys thoughts on this.

I can fit many containers in my flood tray if they are about 1.2 liters.

Thinking of using coco/perlite 50/50 flooding many times a day in 1.2 liter pots, with 0-21 days of veg.

Trimmed for single colas.

I’m kind of thinking 2 liters is probably the minimum, but not sure. That would cut the number of plants I can run in half :thinking:

13 Likes

The key is just doing it. I have seen an ounce per plant from plants in 4x4x3 rockwool cubes packed 9 per square foot and vegged a week. Do the math. It would be nice if you made a grow log and documented your grow for others.

6 Likes

If you can dial the watering schedule, 1l is plenty me thinks :thinking:

5 Likes

1 liter? You could probably manage but would be watering constantly, gallon (4 liter) pots don’t take up much space and give you enough soil volume that you won’t need to water more than 2x/daily usually(assuming soil and hand watering) if you’ve got your feeding automated though it should be doable without much problem.

3 Likes

I will definitely log it in my thread if I go that route.

I just finished some autos in a 4x4x4 rockwool cube sog with 3 plants per sq foot. The rockwool just holds so much water that it was hard to not overwater the plants that were a little behind in drinking.

My thought about coco and maybe some perlite is that even when it’s fully saturated it won’t be too wet (assuming the plant has fully rooted the pot). However I’m just not sure 1 liter will be enough since I’m likely going to be running sativa dom hybrids.

3 Likes

I see 4 ounce yields from solo cups, and a 4x4 rockwool cube is said to be able to grow a 7’ tall plant so I think a liter of hydroponic media will be fine.

2 Likes

Welcome to my flood table. Routinely run solo cups with 3-4ft full blown plants that each give 4-8oz depending on strain. Cycle timer floods every 2hrs, could likely get away with flooding less. Roots will be all over the table. Totally works great.

8 Likes

I might be remembering wrong, but I think you have hydroton on the bottom of the table?

I am hoping to get away with just using nursery pots…

Are your pots 1 liter? If I remember right you use a really high ratio of perlite to coco?

Thanks for stopping in to reply :+1:

1 Like

go straight coco for less flooding unless thats what you desire, and you know i run smaller pots than that really its how they respond and how much space they have, the more cramped the more single cola like you will get but also tall.

7 Likes

I’m still contemplating the perlite ratio… I’d like to hit a ratio where the pots are nearly impossible to overwater. Reason being is that some plants will need water before others, and I’ll have to flood the whole tray.

Maybe I can do that with straight coco once the plants are fully rooted into such small pots? Not sure on that one :thinking: I do aerate my 6 gallon reservoirs with 8 watts of pump, so the water will have some oxygen, but I doubt how much that matters…

4 Likes

Well it’s watering frequency too, consider my little pots being 400ml or the larger just over double that I typically water every 6hrs in straight coco, duration of the watering changes based upon plant size but we’re talking a couple secs, flood table though seeing how your always heavily saturating it you could add perlite 30% would likely be where I would start though another option is to have your flood only go an inch or two high for a bit longer duration as the coco will wick but still retain air just won’t be force cycling like a full flood.

5 Likes

I like this site for coco info: It is the most informative site I have found. Go for 50% coco/perlite for maximum aeration to media ratio. https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/how-to-prepare-and-buffer-coco-coir/#perlite

5 Likes

Absolutely feasible. I’d try to keep the water level a little low to not overwhelm the plants, but I’ve only done bottom watering, not a frequent ebb and flow cycle

1 Like

The hydroton is coming out actually. I was testing to see if it made a difference or helped the roots or anything of which i dont think it did either. I think it’s just an added pain and I’m phasing it out currently. A better option would be to cover the table. The roots WILL come out of the pots no matter what you do.

If I don’t use 16oz solo cups then I’m usually using aerated 5inch pots. I’m sure they’re all less than 1liter…

The more coco you use then the less often you need to flood. I run 50/50 but also been experimenting with placement. Like bottom half is 5050 coco/perlite, top half is straight perlite. Seems to cut down on the gnats. I think fabric pots make things a bit easier on both me and the plant, but they’ll be destroyed at the end of the run.

4 Likes

Interesting, I run 50/50 coco perlite in usually 5 gallons (sometimes more plants in 3 gal.) and water 1 gallon a day in the morning (1/2 gallon a day when I do 3 gallon pots) I haven’t flowered in a pot that small in a while I LOVE the flood tray tho no matter how you run coco it’s worth it. I feel like flowering in less than a gallon scares me lol but there’s a million ways to have a great grow any that could be one of em.

2 Likes

Wow 4-8 in a solo cup fed every two hours? That’s awesome, coco/perlite is pretty much rockwool there

2 Likes

week 4-5

week 8-9

For sure you can find more hermies growing like this than you can doing it a different way :sweat_smile: but it’s so easy and simple for me that I think i’d rather find them asap and cull and get it over with than think they’re stable and keep using them.

8 Likes

That’s awesome they look great!!! I never woulda thought but it makes sense , as long as you keep watering it there isn’t that much of a difference between rockwool and coco/perlite from my understanding

2 Likes

Wow those are some large plants in small containers! I never have really seen that done in a flood table without some kind of media along the bottom. Looks great! That obviously confirms it can work!

Regarding the gnats: The few times I’ve used coco, I broke up the brick and put it in the oven for 8 hours at 270 degrees F before using it. Not sure if that’s why I’ve never had gnats when using it, but I’m not sure how they could survive that either :thinking: I’ve also contemplated putting the brick in the freezer overnight first.

Cover it with panda film or mylar or? Not sure why you would want to do this?

I am a little worried about this, but I agree that it’s good to get them out of the gene pool if they are prone to that anyways. It’s definitely not a low stress method (small pots/pruning) BUT, if you are making seeds with some cuts then you have some added reassurance that you are bringing along tough plants.

How often do you flood approximately?

Thanks again for helping out here!

2 Likes

Ah that’s a good call! I’ve been buying bags of Mother’s Earth pure coco instead of bricks, and then amending it with perlite myself and I’ve definitely been noticing gnats since the start… I may have to try that.

Because the roots will grow out of the pot regardless and especially in the beginning when you don’t have a full canopy you will get a ton of algae growth on the table itself and all over the roots. Covering the table would prevent that algae from blooming. It’s why I went with the hydroton initially but it didn’t make any difference when it came to the plants.

With these smaller pots I flood for 1 minute every 2 hours using a cycle timer.
Starting out you can go a lot longer between floods, like once every 6-8hrs but with the solo cups and 3-4ft plants in mid-late flower… I can maybe push that to every 3hrs. The longer between floods the less the roots will come out of the pot but obviously have to balance that against them actually being able to drink too.

2 Likes