Any writers here? Tv, novel, or big screen

No clue honestly

I wrote a novella when I was younger and also did paid writing for a blog in the mid 2000s along with perfume and fragrance reviews. Iā€™ve also done paid editing and review. I wanted to get into creative writing, but my academic and then professional career involved a tremendous amount of academic, report, and assessment writing, so I never got to really stretch my legs with creative writing. Since retiring, Iā€™ve found a way to integrate my own personal tone, feelings, and style into my non-fiction writing, but Iā€™ve not been able to pursue creative writing. Iā€™m just not sure where Iā€™d start. People always say, ā€œwrite from experience,ā€ but itā€™s not quite that simpleā€¦ Crafting stories is a lot different than crafting sentences.

2 Likes

Interesting
So you can publish it for free,so what about copy right

Comedyā€¦start by trying to write a comedy short. Might be easier and less personal than trying to write from ā€œexperienceā€. Will let you take an outside look at what you are writing giving you a better perspective.

1 Like

I didnā€™t read much on the site other than that you can publish for free and immediately begin selling and earning royalties. Iā€™m sure in the Amazon contract there is something about copyright. Iā€™d assume that it is stipulated that you own the material and Amazon is the publisher. You should find out if Amazon gets exclusive publishing rights.

1 Like

Nice, I never thought about that. It sounds a lot more fun and easy to start with than slogging through an internal emotional free-for-all while I plumb the depths of my psyche for material to write about. Iā€™m in such a state that I canā€™t watch anything that doesnā€™t have a comedy bent right now, so even the thought of writing something serious is intolerable. I love those super dry, horribly uncomfortable Scandinavian comedies. The ones where you just want to melt into your seat and disappear.

Got any reading recommendations for something like that to get inspiration? For reference, my all time favorite book is The Confederacy of Dunces, but I am looking for something much more subtle and disturbingly and uncomfortably funny, maybe with a sexual component.

Haha, all I can think of is the hitchhiker series.

2 Likes

People have been recommending that to me for like 20 years now. I should probably just bite the bullet and read itā€¦ I wonder why I put it off for so long?

Itā€™s kinda got that dry english bent.

1 Like

Lots of subtle dry humor.

1 Like

Whatā€™s your favorite book and author?

Honestly off the top of my head my favorite book is a book I read when I was a kid about magical computers. I canā€™t remember the author or title.

1 Like

Favorite author atm would be a larry niven.

1 Like

Lol I donā€™t think this book would be published by Amazon to much violence ,

Did you try? I think all you have to do is upload it.

I saw an interview with this author too and he said it was his first book and he had et and indiana jones toys on his desk and went to working with Speilberg. I know itā€™s very rare but it was incredible to see even the guy himself was amazed at how the story appeals to so many. I have never seen it or read the book I donā€™t think I even know what itā€™s about but I remember hearing it was the guyā€™s first book wtf.

Yeah that was the interesting part.

You know youā€™re in SF, Iā€™ve seen alot of actors and musicians up thereā€¦brad pitt, james ihaā€¦

Danny Glover
And joe Satriani come into the butcher shop I work at lol

2 Likes

I used to run into brad pitt all the time at this one store.

1 Like