Any writers here? Tv, novel, or big screen

I have written a couple tv shows as well as some movies and was wondering if there are any other writers on the board.

Also if anyone has any questions about writing film, tv, novels, I would be glad to answer them. :smiley:

11 Likes

Little braggingā€¦when I was a kid I wanted to win a nebula or hugo award. I recently won a hugo award. Sweet!

Also own a chain of fried chicken restaurantsā€¦but I digressā€¦:wink:

10 Likes

Holy cow! Iā€™ve always wanted to write as my profession/passion but I find myself being super self critical all the time and putting it back to the side. Whatā€™s the secret to discipline?

4 Likes

Well honestly its about studying the craft. Basically the
More you know, the more fluent your writing becomes.

2 Likes

Itā€™s helpful to compare and critique different writing styles and periods and compare them to your own.

Any favorite books/genres? Or recommendations of excellent writing styles?

Iā€™m a big sci fi guy. As what to read I suggest the old dime store novelets, the westerns and detective novels, good for studying basic writing techniques.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going through wheel of time right now and itā€™s honestly excellent and doesnā€™t feel like thereā€™s any ā€œfillerā€

1 Like

Never heard of ā€œwheel of timeā€

By robert jordan. Itā€™s a high fantasy series with 14 total books. Amazon prime is working on adapting it to a television series at the moment. I can send you a paperback of the first book if you want.

Lemme check it out real quick.

1 Like

I appreciate the offer but my shipping situation is kinda wack atm. I can just order it on amazon. You should check out larry nivenā€™s ring world. Good but imo they are a little short.

1 Like

I absolutely will do! What do you think about the expanse series? I also enjoyed Scalziā€™s old manā€™s war

Haha wrote the first season my manā€¦I may take you up on the offer for the paperback, enjoy physical books better than the digital ones.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t really like this past season of the expanseā€¦seems more like kinda a chess match. Not what I envisionedā€¦too much political stuff.

1 Like

Damn really?? Joe miller is/was my favorite character. I feel he really grounded the show in some of the more ā€œhardā€ sci-fi parts.

How does one get into book to tv or movie adaptations? And so you have any books youā€™ve written? Sorry if too probing.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s what made me lose a bunch of interest too.

Well honestly I just go for it. Read something, get some beers and then just dictate to the recorder for hours. I think I wrote season 1 of the expanse in a single night.
Big joe miller fan myself, was thinking about resurrecting him.
I donā€™t have much hands on experience writing books. Mostly just tv and movies.

1 Like

I kind of agree. For me at least it seems easier to ā€œdictateā€ than type or write. Feels like it flows easier and is more organic

Yeah if I actually write something out, I find Iā€™m always stumbling over my thoughts.

3 Likes