Anyone experiment with UVA supplementation?

Could you explain a bit more what you mean here please?

Cheers :wink:

2 Likes

I used those floats to regulate water from a remote source (5gal black bucket and lid) to my self irrigated or watering planters.

• Mounted a 1/4 hose barb to the bottom side of the bucket.
  • Elevated the bucket so the barb was higher than the inlet to my self watering planter’s reservoir,.
  • Ran 1/4" ID black drip irrigation line between the two and
  • Mounted the float pictured to the inside of the SWP’s reservoir.
    If I ever find pics of that setup, I’ll post them but no promises!
    They were really small planters, 16oz and the res was one of those plastic shoeboxes from Sterilite

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=442&ProductCategory=179&section=1

Just right for two small pots.

Edit:
Those plastic boxes have to be wrapped in aluminum foil. Haven’t found a paint that will stick and be durable.
This guy has something similar.

4 Likes

Cheers @spaceman :wink:

That video is cool.
I’m loving the idea with the pop bottle to water the the plants with on the mans 3 ways to water.
It’s a great idea.

3 Likes

Neat! So the bottom of the planter always had a couple inches of water in it and the plants sat in the planter?

Edit: also, krylon fusion spray paint sticks to EVERYTHING, it works great on plastic

4 Likes

If you use a bottle upside down you can set the float valve to just keep an inch or two in the res.
The plants get water but aren’t soaking alot of root mass.
Don’t use weed block to seal your pot, those blue reusable walmart shopping bags work great at keeping the roots in.
Thanks for the tip but Sterilite products repel paints pretty well, krylon won’t last.

3 Likes

I’ve got a couple of these in my tent. They make a noticble difference in flower. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112730559185

4 Likes

Can you define ‘noticeable difference’? As in, in your experience is this something worth doing? They are cheap so I guess it’s no major outlay. I am just curious on every-bodies individual results on this, there is very little data out there to be found.

1 Like

I use them the last 2.5 weeks of flower. It really seems to shorten the flower time. Resin glads fill up quickly after and seem to sprout more. I had a giant extremely dom sativa from a mix pack. That I placed directly under one of these lights. I was able to harvest it 4 days after the others. Obviously it could have benefited from longer flower. Yet to get decent bud from what was prob a 11+ week strain is solid evidence imo. Also the light I linked I believe is uvB. Not sure about the other wattages but this light is def more of a blueish color.

2 Likes

I’m gonna order one of those once my seed order is in.
We’ll test it out with a uvb test card.
Fingers crossed!

3 Likes

Plzz let me know, thanks. Ohh and I suggest taking off the plastic dome cover. It was suggested else where and it did seem to make a difference.

4 Likes

My seed order came in and I bought one of those bulbs.
(enter shameless plug for purealtitude seeds-stateside)
12 freebies!

So it arrived a couple of days ago and I didn’t have a chance to test it till today.

Here’s my test card-any pet store that sells reptiles will have these, don’t remember exactly how much I paid, certainly less than $10.
Good for 800 tests each card, doesn’t react much with UVA, definitely works with UVB.

A card under normal light.

The card 12" from a 2 ’ version of this bulb.

A little less than moderate.

After the card returned to normal, 3min., I lit it up with the “pure” UV bulb. Cover on.

Hollee fook!

@Skiball You sir, chose wisely!
Fingers uncrossed!

6 Likes

Forgot to add, recommended light exposure time is 10 secs, I did 12 cuz I can’t count very well.
And the bulb was held the same distance as the T5.

3 Likes

Try it with the cap off it’ll prob put out a lot more. Oh and another thing about uv b. If you’re having a PM or mold issue it actually kinda makes it worse. The mold seems to know it’s being attacked and fights back aggressively.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip bud!
Even though it’s a big bulb still a great find.
UVB makes a necessary contribution to potency, I’ll never run another grow without it.

3 Likes

Right bulbs physically big but only what 10 watts. Still smaller then and more efficient than t5.

3 Likes

I meant for small cab and pc case users.
But I’m a big boy now w/ my 2x2x4’ tents.
10 watts is hellagood, puts out twice as much as reptile UVB 10 bulbs 27 watters.

2 Likes

LMFAO 2x2 still laughing. Ya I’d only run that for 15 mins a day or so in that space.

2 Likes

Yo.
Or should it be:
Lo!
Seek and ye shall find!
All you pc caser’s and small cabbies-
https://www.ebay.com/p/5W-E27-Base-UV-Ultraviolet-Purple-LED-Spotlight-Bulb-Home-Lamp-Bulb-AC-85-265V/2181719914?_trksid=p2047675.l2644

Idk if those are uv b. They def look purple rather then blue.

2 Likes

Be nice to have the a plot of the actual spectrum these produce. I had thought that UVB LED diodes were still too much on the expensive side to be used like these, though things move so fast that this may have changed.

1 Like