Anyone using Silica (Potassium Silicate) as pH up?

I have pH up and Pro-TeKt on hand.

I’m using RO water, so after adding nutrients I need to raise the pH.

Does anyone use something like Armor Si, or Pro-TeKt, or Silica Blast etc… instead of pH up?

I wonder if it has the same buffering capacity etc.

Thanks for reading.

3 Likes

If you do, mix it in before the rest of the nutrients.

5 Likes

Silicate should be added prior to cal-mag then nutes. In that order. Silica can cause lockouts if added incorrectly.
But yes, it will raise ph.

6 Likes

I use pro silic and it’s the 1st thing into my mix. I usually need to ph- after evrrything is mixed up.

I use a smallboy to remove chlorine and chloramine so it’s alreDy at 150 ppm before i start.

2 Likes

So when I’m feeding heavy I use silica first to off set the drop of ph so my ph comes out almost perfect after adding everything.
If you have never used it start with a low dose then learn how your addictive react. I only say this because everyone uses different additives an nutes at different rates

3 Likes

NOTE: you know you mixed it wrong when all of a sudden your mix is cloudy and then it starts looking like a snow globe :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

8 Likes

So a good rule put a cup an half r.o aside
Add silica to your mix that has tge majority of water let it settle for 20 min or a hr if u can then add cal
Then when u add nutes add A to some of that water u set aside stir then add to your mix then do the same with nute B
That is the best way to not lock it up .

4 Likes

Then always add that potassium silicate if thsts what it is to your other additive profile so again you don’t hit high potassium

1 Like

I’m in 5 gal pots of soil. Tap water ph ~7.3.
Drop PH to 6.2-6.5 before adding anything…let it sit/marinade for a beer or 2 between adding anything.
Usually I water nutes only, next water is silica and enzymes, next water half nutes.
Excellent point on the order of adding the SI.
This is my first time adding the SI, so what the heck do I know anyway… :thinking:
Informative thread tho!

2 Likes

My “water” is a lowered dose of gro-silic (grotek) with a lowered dose of Harvest Miracle.

3 Likes

But then again on light feed days that my ph is high I use bio cozyme as a ph down only in flower bio cozyme and to feed my little living party :partying_face: down under in the coco

2 Likes

For finer adjustments in ph up say no more than 0.3 , canna rhizo is the best for veg : ) a expensive bottle but deffo worth it

1 Like

Yes, I have used it for pH up successfully.

Provided you don’t use much, too much silica causes precipitate IME.

And yes, mix it first. You’ll have to figure out the sweet spot of how much to add to get the pH right after mixing nutrients in.

2 Likes

I’m a silica type of guy, myself :wink:

1 Like

That’s great information! I’m glad I read this. Now things are making more sense on a current grow lol.

1 Like

Pro-TeKt for ph up and Foliage-Pro for ph down. My water is usually 7-8ph and after adding the other Dyna-Gro nutes it’s usually only a small correction.
I use a LITTLE Pro-TeKt in water for seedlings

1 Like

I stopped using Silica as a pH up due to leaf stems that just snapped in half with the slightest bend. It does what it’s supposed to do but, I’ve noticed that after discontinuing the use as a pH buffer that my leaf stem do not snap as easily while tucking them under. Has anyone else notice this with their plants?

1 Like

I did notice what you are talking about so i’ve tried and tested the following with good results: using your thub & index finger, pinch the branch you wanna bend and crush it lightly; do this as you travel down the branch continously crushing as you go. The branch will be malable and you can tie it off and it’ll get stronger for it.

3 Likes

@Pigeonman
I like to pinch due to it strengthening the branch /stock
Silica is a part of you trichs and is usable to the plant at a higher rate when foliar sprayed.
Alotbof people only use it in veg then stakes or trellis for stability.
Plus silica is used immediately by the plant so you have to consistently use it.

2 Likes

Is this what your are referring to? Ive never had that issue. Check out that post by @monkeyman it is really good.